Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

They have to cut back the MLB offseason

I know the players would never agree to it but its not good for baseball to be out of the spotlight for 3 and 4 months at a time. Yeah they got the winter meetings in non COVID years but holy **** this is boring. There has to be a window where there is incentive for players and teams to get deals done. The NBA offseason runs circles around MLB. Moves, sometimes big moves, are made almost daily.

Springer, Bauer, Realmuto will probably wait until January or February to sign. Its way too long for next to nothing to happen.
    Last edited by metswon69; 12-26-2020 at 10:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    I know the players would never agree to it but its not good for baseball to be out of the spotlight for 3 and 4 months at a time. Yeah they got the winter meetings in non COVID years but holy **** this is boring. There has to be a window where there is incentive for players and teams to get deals done. The NBA offseason runs circles around MLB. Moves, sometimes big moves, are made almost daily.

Springer, Bauer, Realmuto will probably wait until January or February to sign. Its way too long for next to nothing to happen.
    I agree, but what do you think they can do? It would be cool if there was some kind of winter league, but what player would want to take part in that and risk injuring themselves?

Maybe single players can do live streams of workouts where they engage with the fans and answer questions and stuff?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Harry777 View Post
    I agree, but what do you think they can do? It would be cool if there was some kind of winter league, but what player would want to take part in that and risk injuring themselves?

Maybe single players can do live streams of workouts where they engage with the fans and answer questions and stuff?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
    I'm not talking about games played. I'm talking about the window where baseball players can sign. Aside from the Winter Meetings, nothing happens from the time the season ends until middle to late February in a lot of cases. MLB has to do something where they facilitate more player transactions (trades as well) whether that's shortening arbitration, condensing the window where players can sign, etc. I understand that would have to be collectively bargained and unlikely to gain any traction but my god these offseasons are so slow.
    Last edited by metswon69; 12-27-2020 at 08:10 AM.

maybe an off-season all star game of some sort? I understand thereís the world baseball classic but thatís so late that thereís still a huge gap in between.

I agree on incentivizing people to sign early and whatnot but idk how that would even go about. It would be cool to have there be more thunder like the NBA but baseball transactions are boring compared to them. The CBA in basketball allows for more teams to be competitive, maybe a salary cap or max salary would help people out. Itíd be cool to see baseball move more towards short term high AAV contracts instead of mega deals but thatís neither here nor there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumť

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    maybe an off-season all star game of some sort? I understand thereís the world baseball classic but thatís so late that thereís still a huge gap in between.

I agree on incentivizing people to sign early and whatnot but idk how that would even go about. It would be cool to have there be more thunder like the NBA but baseball transactions are boring compared to them. The CBA in basketball allows for more teams to be competitive, maybe a salary cap or max salary would help people out. Itíd be cool to see baseball move more towards short term high AAV contracts instead of mega deals but thatís neither here nor there

Life is not a video game.

Off season all star game.

Geezus H Krist.

The guy who said "there's no such thing as a bad idea" never met you.

If you're saying that you think they ought to have a shorter, fixed period during which FAs declare and sign, I agree. It would allow teams to plan better for the season if there was a cutoff date of, say, the day pitchers and catches report. Also it would create excitement and a sense of urgency that might help the players. As is, it drags, lacks excitement, and doesn't seem to work in favor of either side.

If you're saying shorten the off season because it's too long of a gap between the WS and opening day, I disagree. The season is already too long, and I actually like longing for opening day as winter drags on. If we get everything when we want it, little will feel special.

Quote Originally Posted by The Futurist View Post
    If you're saying that you think they ought to have a shorter, fixed period during which FAs declare and sign, I agree. It would allow teams to plan better for the season if there was a cutoff date of, say, the day pitchers and catches report. Also it would create excitement and a sense of urgency that might help the players. As is, it drags, lacks excitement, and doesn't seem to work in favor of either side.

If you're saying shorten the off season because it's too long of a gap between the WS and opening day, I disagree. The season is already too long, and I actually like longing for opening day as winter drags on. If we get everything when we want it, little will feel special.
    The only thing i want to shorten is the window where moves can be made. I'm certainly not advocating a longer season. I think 162 games is too much to begin with but that's another argument for another day. I want to see more active offseasons in terms of moves and major FA not waiting till right before ST to sign their contracts. I would love to see more players moved via trade as well. I think there are ways to facilitate those things because the MLB offseason is easily the most boring offseason in all of professional sports. Everything moves so slowly.
    Last edited by metswon69; 12-27-2020 at 10:53 AM.

I would cut the season back to 154 games which it was until 1961. No more opening days in March or World Series in November.

Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Life is not a video game.

Off season all star game.

Geezus H Krist.

The guy who said "there's no such thing as a bad idea" never met you.
    Glad to know that despite your progressivism, youíre still an old geezer.

If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumť

I just wished they had a signing period instead of this long *** slow process in which players just sit back for 2-3 months not making up their minds.

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    I just wished they had a signing period instead of this long *** slow process in which players just sit back for 2-3 months not making up their minds.
    The players think they gain leverage by waiting to the last minute to sign but it seems there is an unspoken collusion that caps a FA's value. Its also limited by the amount of teams that can afford the top echelon guys and how many teams are actively pursuing those players. Springer has what? Maybe 4 or 5 suitors. 2 of them serious? That's not going to change at the money he's commanding. Like ****ing sign already.

Have a signing period like you mentioned.
    Last edited by metswon69; 12-27-2020 at 06:10 PM.

Baseball is different because thereís no salary cap or salary floor. Teams that donít spend arenít forced to, and thereís no such thing as a max contract in baseball. That leaves a lot of negotiating room.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    Baseball is different because thereís no salary cap or salary floor. Teams that donít spend arenít forced to, and thereís no such thing as a max contract in baseball. That leaves a lot of negotiating room.
    It does and it doesn't. There are only a limited amount of teams out for certain player's services. Its not like the NBA where its a star hunting league and every team (if smart with their cap) can afford a max player. George Springer, Bauer, Realmuto have maybe a handful of teams (that could be generous) who can make serious offers meanwhile they probably won't sign until late January or early February. Maybe even later.
    Last edited by metswon69; 12-27-2020 at 07:04 PM.

It does and it doesn't. There are only a limited amount of teams out for certain player's services. Its not like the NBA where its a star hunting league and every team (if smart with their cap) can afford a max player. George Springer, Bauer, Realmuto have maybe a handful of teams (that could be generous) who can make serious offers meanwhile they probably won't sign until late January or early February. Maybe even later.
    I donít think that there is anything that could be done about it. Maybe the only thing they could do is require players be to be signed by the start of ST or risk sitting out until after the draft or something.

Really what you're saying is that you want something to happen already. We all do. But shortening the signing period or off-season or whatever isn't going to do much. High dollar players will still wait until the last possible minute to sign, and other tier players will wait until some of the high dollar guys at their position sign so the market is set for them. We are still going to be waiting, no matter what.

Personally the agents are to blame here. It's just a negotiating tactic exacerbated by agents like Boras.
    Last edited by wdwyer; 12-30-2020 at 03:46 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast