Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314
    So is Cohen bailing out? Seems like an odd rumor for someone to make up.

Quote Originally Posted by Coupon View Post
    It was right to say nothing has happened.

The thing that made me wary was the five year "transition" period, where Fred and Jeff planned to run the team using Steve Cohen's money. The concept sounded unprecedented and unreasonable.

It seemed obvious these negotiations would not be smooth. Fred tended to be less than forthright in his dealings with Doubleday and Einhorn.

I suspect Fred will cave, though. I don't see anybody else willing to put up 80% of $2.6M, while letting Fred keep SNY, which most of the revenue runs through anyway.

I also suspect, if the sale goes through, Cohen may find an innovative way of terminating that awful SNY deal.
    Well, a deal was in place. That was "Something." It's disingenuous to say otherwise. The 5-year period to your point was absurd. Quite likely that was a concept Jeff concocted for the media that Cohen was never on board with. Unlike the Wilpons, he prefers to do his negotiating in the board rooms rather than in the media.

Doubtful it all ends here. I agree with you, I do think the Wilpons will cave. They never would have agreed to a deal in the first place if they didn't need to get out of debt. So now they're back to square one.

Stay tuned.
    Last edited by fanofclendennon; 02-05-2020 at 07:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Well, a deal was in place. That was "Something." It's disingenuous to say otherwise. The 5-year period to your point was absurd. Quite likely that was a concept Jeff concocted for the media that Cohen was never on board with. Unlike the Wilpons, he prefers to do his negotiating in the board rooms rather than in the media.

Doubtful it all ends here. I agree with you, I do think the Wilpons will cave. They never would have agreed to a deal in the first place if they didn't need to get out of debt. So now they're back to square one.

Stay tuned.
    I hope the Wilpons cave. Heck even if they sold the team to a 2 year old, I'd still be for it.

Agree that 5 year crap was stupid. No one would go for it. Wait, maybe BVW would.

Quote Originally Posted by mookiewilson View Post
    I hope the Wilpons cave. Heck even if they sold the team to a 2 year old, I'd still be for it.

Agree that 5 year crap was stupid. No one would go for it. Wait, maybe BVW would.
    I think Brodie plays a part in this too. He was not happy when the sale was first announced indicating that his days were numbered. But of course since we as met fans have no luck we are stuck with the penniless Wilpons and clueless Brodie

Quote Originally Posted by JCrusher View Post
    I think Brodie plays a part in this too. He was not happy when the sale was first announced indicating that his days were numbered. But of course since we as met fans have no luck we are stuck with the penniless Wilpons and clueless Brodie
    At least we have Beltran to save the season.
    Go Carlos Go.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

There's no way Brodie had any real say in this. Even if he was pushing for the Wilpons to stay, there's no way his influence can speak over 2.5 billion dollars. To me this is all the Wilpons and Saul Katz. And if I was a betting man, I'd put my money on most of this coming from Jeff.

Jeff wants to keep his toy the next 5 years while having someone else's money to do it with. Cohen is smarter than that. He's okay with the Wilpons still being involved in title and maybe even from a baseball perspective but he wanted majority control out of the gate. No one can blame him.

Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    At least we have Beltran to save the season.
    Go Carlos Go.
    Beltran did himself in.

The thing that sucks the most is you can forget about the Mets targeting any major FA in the coming years unless this deal is back on or until they find another billionaire willing to buy this team. I wouldn't want to do any business dealings with Jeff or Saul, I know that.

That said, let's hope they circle back to this.

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    The thing that sucks the most is you can forget about the Mets targeting any major FA in the coming years unless this deal is back on or until they find another billionaire willing to buy this team. I wouldn't want to do any business dealings with Jeff or Saul, I know that.

That said, let's hope they circle back to this.
    Agreed. Our dreams of possibly signing Betts are now gone. Also I fear that Brodie will again do something stupid with more of our prospects. I mean yeah he finally didnít do something stupid with Marty but how long will that last?

I would not be surprised if any new owner would get rid of BVW. I know I would.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314