Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Cohen might be a Mets fan but hes also in it to make money.... buying the Mets for 2 billion, means he will have to invest in the team to increase its value, while also satisfying his ego to win and desire to win as an actual fan.

I think he will at least try more than the Wilpons "meaningful baseball" comments.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    https://twitter.com/btbscore/status/...212784640?s=21

Now here are the skeptical articles on Cohen.
    Well, I said earlier the the one guy he would have to emulate in order to out-suck the Wilpons was Loria, and guess who this article compares his business strategies to?

Let's hope this is more hitpiece than grim portent.

Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Coupon's absence is more of an oddity than Dug's since Dug hasn't been around for a bit now. But Coupon could always be counted on to pop in for a roar whenever the Mets make a contentious move. So Coup, what say you?
    I was planning on retiring with 1986 posts. My Wilpon era posting ended on that number. What more was there to say, I hadn't already said?

It's been nothing but perverse disappointments for going on 34 years. I was a kid back then, and the Mets were a big element in my life. I wonder if I still have it in me to be a fan on that level. Life moves on... or does it?

The Wilpons literally ruined NL baseball in this city for several generations. There are a lot of loose ends, but it's kind of like the Matrix has been broken, and you're left standing there, blinking in the sunlight - you barely remember what sunlight felt like - wondering what's next.

What is it like to root for a normal team - a team that tries to win? I've forgotten.

We need time to adjust, or we'll get the bends.

Quote Originally Posted by Coupon View Post
    I was planning on retiring with 1986 posts. My Wilpon era posting ended on that number. What more was there to say, I hadn't already said?

It's been nothing but perverse disappointments for going on 34 years. I was a kid back then, and the Mets were a big element in my life. I wonder if I still have it in me to be a fan on that level. Life moves on... or does it?

The Wilpons literally ruined NL baseball in this city for several generations. There are a lot of loose ends, but it's kind of like the Matrix has been broken, and you're left standing there, blinking in the sunlight - you barely remember what sunlight felt like - wondering what's next.

What is it like to root for a normal team - a team that tries to win? I've forgotten.

That's it? How do you feel about the Wilpons finally selling to Cohen? How do you feel about Cohen?

#1986 is a beautiful swan song, I feel awful I missed that.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

The Mets have 10 more years on their TV contract, which is why the Wilpons chose not to sell that 65% portion.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Saw this movie once about a kid who was homeless and blind and this man comes along and takes him in and pays for an operation to allow the kid to see again. Sadly the man dies and the kid is left alone again, so he stares at the sun to once again be blind.

Are you suggesting Coupon stare at the sun?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't worry. He's got this.

Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    I did too! Wonder if he can cut and paste it for us for #1988?
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears – but they seem kinda sensible...."

I'm sure Coupon has been spouting his monotonous hatred for the Wilpons on another site. Dug has said as much multiple times so excuse me if I'm not buying the retirement routine.

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    Saw this movie once about a kid who was homeless and blind and this man comes along and takes him in and pays for an operation to allow the kid to see again. Sadly the man dies and the kid is left alone again, so he stares at the sun to once again be blind.
    would love to know the name of this movie.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears – but they seem kinda sensible...."

Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    That's it? How do you feel about the Wilpons finally selling to Cohen? How do you feel about Cohen?
    So far nothing has happened. The Wilpons selling is momentous. Cohen appears ethically challenged, but he'll be a hero to Mets fans if he runs the club properly. Let's hope he does. Celebrating now is like popping the champagne corks after making the Wild Card game. Let's at least wait until the terms are worked out and the sale is approved.

Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    You didn't miss it. I believe you replied to it, or you made a post embedded in replies. But let me refresh your memory.

I had projected Wilmer Flores (.317/.361/.487 last season) to be a better signing than Cano or Lowrie. I had said, I wouldn't want Cano for 5 years if he was given to us for nothing. I said the money committed for Cano and Diaz should have been used to sign Charlie Morton (Cy Young candidate), Ottavino (1.90 ERA) and Britton (1.91 ERA).

Of course a bunch of people disagreed with me, and suggested I hated everything the Mets do. So post 1986 was a mid-season check-in, to point out the hostile response to my Flores/Cano projections was misplaced.

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    I'm sure Coupon has been spouting his monotonous hatred for the Wilpons on another site. Dug has said as much multiple times so excuse me if I'm not buying the retirement routine.
    Another class post from a moderate moderator. Of course, you were the leader of the pack, defending the Cano trade and slamming me for criticizing it.

A big reason I don't swing by this board much is because there's a tendency towards sarcasm and hostility, often led by the moderators. It's unfortunate, since it's a probable cause of the attrition of many worthwhile posters over the years.
    Last edited by Coupon; 12-08-2019 at 03:17 PM.

So far nothing has happened. The Wilpons selling is momentous. Cohen appears ethically challenged, but he'll be a hero to Mets fans if he runs the club properly. Let's hope he does. Celebrating now is like popping the champagne corks after making the Wild Card game. Let's at least wait until the terms are worked out and the sale is approved.
    It's wrong to say nothing has happened but the rest I agree with.

Another class post from a moderate moderator. Of course, you were the leader of the pack, defending the Cano trade and slamming me for criticizing it.

A big reason I don't swing by this board much is because there's a tendency towards sarcasm and hostility, often led by the moderators. It's unfortunate, since it's a probable cause of the attrition of many worthwhile posters over the years.
    Blah, blah, blah. More of the "I should be the GM because I can make all the right moves" act. Seriously why aren't you working in a front office already? Its like you have a 1.000 batting average. It's been a while since you've posted here so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt when you make up things like "defending the Cano trade".

A big reason why you don't swing by here is because you can't incessantly post the same tedious stuff about the Wilpons. I'm sorry that someone exposed your similar posting habits elsewhere. I've been around you long enough to know you didn't go on some hiatus though. You just found another avenue.

Someone who is obsessed with Fred and Jeff Wilpon as you are doesn't just go silently into the night.
    Last edited by metswon69; 12-08-2019 at 03:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Blah, blah, blah. More of the "I should be the GM because I can make all the right moves" act. Seriously why aren't you working in a front office already? Its like you have a 1.000 batting average. It's been a while since you've posted here so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt when you make up things like "defending the Cano trade".

A big reason why you don't swing by here is because you can't incessantly post the same tedious stuff about the Wilpons. I'm sorry that someone exposed your similar posting habits elsewhere. I've been around you long enough to know you didn't go on some hiatus though. You just found another avenue.

Someone who is obsessed with Fred and Jeff Wilpon as you are doesn't just go silently into the night.
    You're only giving me the benefit of the doubt because you know I could quote you. And thank you for "praising" my accuracy in assessing Mets front office moves. I always thought working in baseball would be fun and challenging.

Once you go down a certain road, though, paid dues, etc., it's hard to walk away. I'll have to be content to GM from an armchair.

Let me get this straight: I always thought posting about other forums here was against the rules, and ban-worthy. Are you saying we can compare the relative merits and demerits of this forum to others?

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast