Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    The one thing that I love about him being the owner is that he grew up a Mets fan and not a ****ing dodgers fan.

I expect this team to start celebrating its players more and itís history.

Itís really hard to find any negatives with Cohen taking over eventually. Every Mets fan should be jumping for joy because thereís literally no way he can be as bad as the Wilpons. We are almost certain to be much bigger spenders eventually.

https://twitter.com/marccarig/status...277624838?s=21

A lot of articles coming g out about how bad shot was, this is a pretty good one.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    Itís really hard to find any negatives with Cohen taking over eventually. Every Mets fan should be jumping for joy because thereís literally no way he can be as bad as the Wilpons. We are almost certain to be much bigger spenders eventually.
    He can be Dolan!

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    He can be Dolan!
    Depends on what Dolan we are talking about. If he's trying to pick players while spending a ton of cash, it could end up very Knick like. Then again, there's also the Dolan who owns the Rangers, let Glenn Sather/Jeff Gordon pick the players, signed the checks and had a 10 year run of making the playoffs almost every year from 2007 to 2017.

If he's the latter, the Mets will be fine.

At the end of the day, the Mets can't compete without an influx of cash. Baseball is becoming more and more about big market teams because the analytics gap that gave small market teams some advantages has closed.
    Last edited by metswon69; 12-07-2019 at 03:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    Dude, seriously?

No one is worshiping anyone - people are simply happy that the Wilpon era is coming to an end.

He has deep pockets and we all presume he will use them to help the team win. If he doesnít he is lousy. But I doubt that will be the case.

I donít really care what this guy or any other person does to make their money. I care about what kind of owner he will be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    To clarify:

I'm happy the Jeffrey/Freddy era is over. But unlike you I will not presume Stevie will use his deep pockets to help the team win. He's a Scumbag Billionaire who likely cares about one person and person only. He doesn't make his living treating sick people. He takes people's money. He became a billionaire by doing this.

You think he will use his wealth to turn around a baseball team. We'll see. But I wouldn't presume anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    The one thing that I love about him being the owner is that he grew up a Mets fan and not a ****ing dodgers fan.

I expect this team to start celebrating its players more and itís history.
    Yeah, now THAT would be refreshing!

Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    Yeah Iím waiting for Coupon as well. Is he in a state of unbridled joy that has put him into shock?

Same with Dugmet - though the opposite kind of shock.

Where are you guys?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Maybe they are the same person, just have a bipolar issue and we have seen play out before our eyes. Or maybe they both have a life outside of this forum.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    He hasn't done a damned thing yet but we love him because 1) he's a billionaire and 2) he's not the Wilpons. Some of us arent that naive.

We know nothing about this guy other then the fact that he became rich on other people's money. You want to worship that, fine. That's you're prerogative. I remain skeptical.
    1) He is not Jeff and Fred; 2) Brodie will be on a short leash because he is not his hire and; 3) if he is an arrogant prick, the Mets will be getting this generationís George Steinbrenner. 4) I hope Larry David does the impersonation.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    1) He is not Jeff and Fred; 2) Brodie will be on a short leash because he is not his hire and; 3) if he is an arrogant prick, the Mets will be getting this generationís George Steinbrenner. 4) I hope Larry David does the impersonation.
    1)Mathematically correct.
    2) Most likely. And YAY!!!!!!!
    3) He's not George. George built things. George was a shipbuilder. Cohen doesn't build or make things. But he is really good at buying and selling. From what I know about hedge funds (which admittedly isn't a lot) people who manage hedge funds buy and sell almost anything. So who knows, maybe he'll also be real good at buying and selling baseball players?
    4) I'm with ya.

But back to 2) YAY!!!!! FoC Can't wait to see 2) happen. YAY!!!!!!!!!!
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears Ė but they seem kinda sensible...."

Steve Cohen's billions won't magically fix the Mets

This is what I'm saying.

Most sports teams are run by rich businessmen; few of those men run perennial contenders; none of them got rich by writing checks. And Cohenís primary contribution to the Mets may not be his solvency, but his ability to raise the scope of the syndicate.

Itís tempting to believe Citi Fieldís grass will get greener on the other side of this deal. Just know, it will never be as green as Steve Cohenís. And he probably wonít care.
    https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...bvi-story.html
    Last edited by fanofclendennon; 12-07-2019 at 08:44 AM.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears Ė but they seem kinda sensible...."

1)Mathematically correct.
    2) Most likely. And YAY!!!!!!!
    3) He's not George. George built things. George was a shipbuilder. Cohen doesn't build or make things. But he is really good at buying and selling. From what I know about hedge funds (which admittedly isn't a lot) people who manage hedge funds buy and sell almost anything. So who knows, maybe he'll also be real good at buying and selling baseball players?
    4) I'm with ya.

But back to 2) YAY!!!!! FoC Can't wait to see 2) happen. YAY!!!!!!!!!!
    He is successful because he hired the right people to manage hedge funds, he will only be successful if he hires the right person to run this team and not run the team himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    He is successful because he hired the right people to manage hedge funds, he will only be successful if he hires the right person to run this team and not run the team himself.
    Wellll.....

Hedge funds are his business. That's his show. That's his expertise. It's not like he's the Fred Wilpon of the Hedge Fund and he found a really good GM to make him a ton of money. Sure, he hired people to help him with the trading. And as we know, many of them were arrested, indicted, charged, whatever, while his hands were clean. Let's not go down that rabbit hole.

In this case, he'll be on the operating end of things, not the buying and selling, like he does really well as a hedge fund operator. It remains to be seen how well he does as the overseeing owner by hiring a competent GM and letting the baseball people do their jobs.

There are a lot of things we'd like to believe will be true. Whether they will be or not remains to be seen.

To clarify:

I'm happy the Jeffrey/Freddy era is over. But unlike you I will not presume Stevie will use his deep pockets to help the team win. He's a Scumbag Billionaire who likely cares about one person and person only. He doesn't make his living treating sick people. He takes people's money. He became a billionaire by doing this.

You think he will use his wealth to turn around a baseball team. We'll see. But I wouldn't presume anything.
    They're all scumbag billionaires. All of them. The thing is that Jeff and Fred were in over their heads. Doofuses who lucked into a majority stake in a team the prior owner (Doubleday) wanted them to have no part of (likely because he'd heard them talk and knew they were dumbasses) . Fred is a mediocre businessman with an idiot, ill-tempered son who likes to play GM, scouting director, and occasionally team physician.

As long as Cohen knows how business works, we'll be fine.

That article is excellent, and confirms what I've been saying for years about the Mets: they never know how much money they have to spend in a given offseason. Sandy said as much once, several winters ago, but the evidence has been there. I have mentioned several times that the Mets were done spending the year the Yanks traded for Stanton, but then following Fred's tirde, the wallets opened once again.

I've never said this just to be flippant or mean-spirited, but as an honest descriptor: Fred Wilpon is an idiot. He's not a sharp guy. He snuck into majority ownership against Nelson Doubleday's wishes, and has let his son run amok ever since. How about us trading Vargas to the Phillies last year for a family friend? The **** is wrong with these *******s? Steve Cohen can't be this bad.

The Dolan concern is funny to me. What are the characteristics of Jim Dolan? He's stupid, he refuses to remove toxic influences from his circle, and he won't cede full control to a President or GM. That's exactly what the Wilpons are. So we already have James Dolan running the Mets, except our Dolan is worse because he's broke. There's very little chance Steve Cohen is going to be worse than what the Wilpons are now. ****'s sake, guys, Jeff just hired his golfing buddy to be our GM. That's end-stage ownership ****, guys.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast