Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Let's be clear. You don't become as wealthy as he did without taking money from other people's pockets and putting it into your own. He's not a brilliant entrepreneur. He's not a manufacturer or an inventor or an owner of multiple businesses. He manages hedge funds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ItfdOC1B9Q
    SAC Capital Advisors was a group of hedge funds founded by Steven A. Cohen in 1992. The firm employed approximately 800 people[1] in 2010 across its offices located in Stamford, Connecticut and New York City, and various international satellite offices,[2] but reportedly lost many of its traders in the wake of various investigations by the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC).[3] In 2010, the SEC opened an insider trading investigation of SAC[4] and in 2013 several former employees were indicted by the U.S. Department of Justice.[5] In November 2013, the firm itself pleaded guilty to insider trading charges and paid $1.2 billion in penalties (in addition to $616 million already paid to the SEC),[6] although no formal charges have been filed against Cohen himself. The firm has shrunk after returning the vast majority of its outside investor capital (i.e., not controlled by Steven Cohen personally). Point72 Asset Management was established as a separate family office in 2014. SAC ceased to exist as a separate

Where is Coupon? I only came out of exile for Coupon comments.

The 34 year nightmare is nearly over!

Yeah Iím waiting for Coupon as well. Is he in a state of unbridled joy that has put him into shock?

Same with Dugmet - though the opposite kind of shock.

Where are you guys?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't worry. He's got this.

Quote Originally Posted by The Futurist View Post
    Brian Koppelman, the co-creator, swears that's not the case. However his real-life track record shows that while self-made and an extremely generous philanthropist, he's no angel.
    Most philanthropy by billionaires is done for the tax benefits, not to help people. It's also good PR because the media doesn't actually look into it.

Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    Yeah Iím waiting for Coupon as well. Is he in a state of unbridled joy that has put him into shock?

Same with Dugmet - though the opposite kind of shock.

Where are you guys?

Coupon's absence is more of an oddity than Dug's since Dug hasn't been around for a bit now. But Coupon could always be counted on to pop in for a roar whenever the Mets make a contentious move. So Coup, what say you?
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears Ė but they seem kinda sensible...."

Quote Originally Posted by The Futurist View Post
    SAC Capital Advisors was a group of hedge funds founded by Steven A. Cohen in 1992. The firm employed approximately 800 people[1] in 2010 across its offices located in Stamford, Connecticut and New York City, and various international satellite offices,[2] but reportedly lost many of its traders in the wake of various investigations by the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC).[3] In 2010, the SEC opened an insider trading investigation of SAC[4] and in 2013 several former employees were indicted by the U.S. Department of Justice.[5] In November 2013, the firm itself pleaded guilty to insider trading charges and paid $1.2 billion in penalties (in addition to $616 million already paid to the SEC),[6] although no formal charges have been filed against Cohen himself. The firm has shrunk after returning the vast majority of its outside investor capital (i.e., not controlled by Steven Cohen personally). Point72 Asset Management was established as a separate family office in 2014. SAC ceased to exist as a separate
    Scumbag billionaire, yep. But for the Mets purposes, I'm sure he is better than what we have now. Just don't expect me to get all giddy about this guy taking over the reins.
    Last edited by fanofclendennon; 12-06-2019 at 10:04 AM.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears Ė but they seem kinda sensible...."

We should probably temper expectations a bit. Rich billionaires are usually greedy pricks. Just cuz he can, doesn't mean he will. People are already assuming we'll sign Betts next year and pretty much whoever the best available free agents are...

That's not going to happen and we're just setting up for a letdown.

Quote Originally Posted by bklynny67 View Post
    We should probably temper expectations a bit. Rich billionaires are usually greedy pricks. Just cuz he can, doesn't mean he will. People are already assuming we'll sign Betts next year and pretty much whoever the best available free agents are...

That's not going to happen and we're just setting up for a letdown.
    Also:

He got rich spending and taking "other people's money." In other words, pay no attention to his individual net worth. He likely won't want to touch that. On the other hand, he won't want to see his property fail, either. Just don't expect him to start pouring his own money into it right away. That's just my entirely uneducated opinion.

Omg can you guys give it a rest with the billionaire hate?

Do you guys really care what he does so long as he puts good money into the Mets to help them win? I mean we have all lived though nearly a decade of ownership not willing to spend because of their own personal financial issues and their refusal to let go of the team. Most of us hated that

I have news for everyone here. You donít get to own a major sports franchise by running a non-profit. All of these guys are fat cats who donít exactly break bread with the rest of us.

Who cares?

Spend on the team and help them get the players and organizational structure needed to win a World Series.

Do you guys really care what he does so long as he puts good money into the Mets to help them win? I mean we have all lived though nearly a decade of ownership not willing to spend because of their own personal financial issues and their refusal to let go of the team. Most of us hated that

I have news for everyone here. You donít get to own a major sports franchise by running a non-profit. All of these guys are fat cats who donít exactly break bread with the rest of us.

Who cares?

Spend on the team and help them get the players and organizational structure needed to win a World Series.

He hasn't done a damned thing yet but we love him because 1) he's a billionaire and 2) he's not the Wilpons. Some of us arent that naive.

We know nothing about this guy other then the fact that he became rich on other people's money. You want to worship that, fine. That's you're prerogative. I remain skeptical.

Who cares?

We love him for now and I agree with you about how he got there.

But letís see what he does when he starts to run things.

Just having a new owner, if the deal consummates is exciting in itself.......
    A Reason To Go To The Gym

Mets Dieharder Since '63
    Broncos Dieharder Since '73
    Los Angeles Kings Dieharder Since '87

uapeople you're gone, but never forgotten, R.I.P. - SPRING 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie6986 View Post
    Just having a new owner, if the deal consummates is exciting in itself.......
    This I agree with.

He hasn't done a damned thing yet but we love him because 1) he's a billionaire and 2) he's not the Wilpons. Some of us arent that naive.

We know nothing about this guy other then the fact that he became rich on other people's money. You want to worship that, fine. That's you're prerogative. I remain skeptical.
    Worst case scenario is he's a meddler with money. Jeff was a meddler who was cash broke and wasn't going to spend the money necessary to get the best talent. Hard to believe this guy is going to go the Jeffrey Loria route when he's a Mets fan, his wife is a Mets fan, etc.

He obviously doesn't have an issue throwing money around if he's spending 140 million dollars on a piece of art.

Dude, seriously?

No one is worshiping anyone - people are simply happy that the Wilpon era is coming to an end.

He has deep pockets and we all presume he will use them to help the team win. If he doesnít he is lousy. But I doubt that will be the case.

I donít really care what this guy or any other person does to make their money. I care about what kind of owner he will be.

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast