Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 135 of 194
  1. #121
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    45,504
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeGamer81 View Post
    They're all scumbag billionaires. All of them. The thing is that Jeff and Fred were in over their heads. Doofuses who lucked into a majority stake in a team the prior owner (Doubleday) wanted them to have no part of (likely because he'd heard them talk and knew they were dumbasses) . Fred is a mediocre businessman with an idiot, ill-tempered son who likes to play GM, scouting director, and occasionally team physician.

    As long as Cohen knows how business works, we'll be fine.
    Maybe. Not all of them operate hedge funds. But yeah, I'm probably splitting hairs. When you get down to it, what the F is the difference the robber barons of 19th century and the financiers of the 21st centuries? I probably should get over myself.

    Then again, there is is a fundamental difference between people who were ruthless in building things versus people who just moved money, a la Gordon Gekko. Anyway, we'll see.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears Ė but they seem kinda sensible...."

  2. #122
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Flushing, 10/16/69
    Posts
    1,665
    Owning a hedge fund does not make one a scum bag. Breaking the law at the expense of people who trusted you with their money, losing that money, paying exorbitant penalties, seeing your employees go to jail -- that brings you a little closer to that designation. I'm happy that we are getting rid of the Wilpons. I'm hopeful that Cohen will be a good owner who will spend more on this team and spend it wisely. But I don't understand anyone who thinks that we shouldn't be at least a bit skeptical about a hedge fund owning, NY-area billionaire whose company has literally been found guilty of financial crimes taking over a team that has been a disaster for close to a decade because of the (much more devastating) financial crimes of another hedge fund-owning NY-area billionaire.

  3. #123
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    The Boogie Down
    Posts
    100,520
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    To clarify:

    I'm happy the Jeffrey/Freddy era is over. But unlike you I will not presume Stevie will use his deep pockets to help the team win. He's a Scumbag Billionaire who likely cares about one person and person only. He doesn't make his living treating sick people. He takes people's money. He became a billionaire by doing this.

    You think he will use his wealth to turn around a baseball team. We'll see. But I wouldn't presume anything.
    Yeah, I also think a guy like him wants to win at every cost unlike guys like the Wilpons who wanted to win their way.

  4. #124
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    The Boogie Down
    Posts
    100,520
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeGamer81 View Post
    They're all scumbag billionaires. All of them. The thing is that Jeff and Fred were in over their heads. Doofuses who lucked into a majority stake in a team the prior owner (Doubleday) wanted them to have no part of (likely because he'd heard them talk and knew they were dumbasses) . Fred is a mediocre businessman with an idiot, ill-tempered son who likes to play GM, scouting director, and occasionally team physician.

    As long as Cohen knows how business works, we'll be fine.
    Yeah, the one thing is clear with all these articles coming out and the rumors we heard before and that is Jeff clearly was the biggest problem. Fred was a tightwad, but Jeff because he okay some ball thought he knew baseball players.

  5. #125
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    The Boogie Down
    Posts
    100,520
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeGamer81 View Post
    That article is excellent, and confirms what I've been saying for years about the Mets: they never know how much money they have to spend in a given offseason. Sandy said as much once, several winters ago, but the evidence has been there. I have mentioned several times that the Mets were done spending the year the Yanks traded for Stanton, but then following Fred's tirde, the wallets opened once again.

    I've never said this just to be flippant or mean-spirited, but as an honest descriptor: Fred Wilpon is an idiot. He's not a sharp guy. He snuck into majority ownership against Nelson Doubleday's wishes, and has let his son run amok ever since. How about us trading Vargas to the Phillies last year for a family friend? The **** is wrong with these *******s? Steve Cohen can't be this bad.

    The Dolan concern is funny to me. What are the characteristics of Jim Dolan? He's stupid, he refuses to remove toxic influences from his circle, and he won't cede full control to a President or GM. That's exactly what the Wilpons are. So we already have James Dolan running the Mets, except our Dolan is worse because he's broke. There's very little chance Steve Cohen is going to be worse than what the Wilpons are now. ****'s sake, guys, Jeff just hired his golfing buddy to be our GM. That's end-stage ownership ****, guys.
    Nobody is saying he will be Dolan, but their is always a possibility that a new owner can be worse in other areas, now input the odds of that at 95/5. I think he will be a much better owner, but am not betting the house either.

  6. #126
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    The Boogie Down
    Posts
    100,520

    The 34 year nightmare is nearly over!

    Two things I took from that article that are very interesting.

    1. Mets have lost 60 million or more the last two years.

    2. Their payroll limitations changed from month to month. Lol

  7. #127
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    45,504
    Quote Originally Posted by The Futurist View Post
    Owning a hedge fund does not make one a scum bag. Breaking the law at the expense of people who trusted you with their money, losing that money, paying exorbitant penalties, seeing your employees go to jail -- that brings you a little closer to that designation. I'm happy that we are getting rid of the Wilpons. I'm hopeful that Cohen will be a good owner who will spend more on this team and spend it wisely. But I don't understand anyone who thinks that we shouldn't be at least a bit skeptical about a hedge fund owning, NY-area billionaire whose company has literally been found guilty of financial crimes taking over a team that has been a disaster for close to a decade because of the (much more devastating) financial crimes of another hedge fund-owning NY-area billionaire.
    This.

  8. #128
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,528
    I agree we donít know what type of owner but letís be honest having an eggplant own the team is an improvement over the Wilpons lol. From everything Iíve read Cohen has no issue spending, is competitive, and is a Met fan. So basically the complete opposite of the Wilpons

  9. #129
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    45,504
    Quote Originally Posted by JCrusher View Post
    I agree we donít know what type of owner but letís be honest having an eggplant own the team is an improvement over the Wilpons lol. From everything Iíve read Cohen has no issue spending, is competitive, and is a Met fan. So basically the complete opposite of the Wilpons
    He's a Met fan and he's not a Wilpon. For the time being, that'll do.

  10. #130
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    35,627
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    Two things I took from that article that are very interesting.

    1. Mets have lost 60 million or more the last two years.

    2. Their payroll limitations changed from month to month. Lol
    No wonder they finally sold. So much for their public position of them being in the clear after the Madoff suit was settled. These owners apparently couldn't afford a mid market payroll and they wanted to keep the team? They would have ****ed over Met fans forever.

  11. #131
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    The Boogie Down
    Posts
    100,520
    https://twitter.com/btbscore/status/...212784640?s=21

    Now here are the skeptical articles on Cohen.

  12. #132
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,872
    He might be a crook but he is a hypercompetent crook. Best present ever!

  13. #133
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    35,627
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    https://twitter.com/btbscore/status/...212784640?s=21

    Now here are the skeptical articles on Cohen.
    Well its not surprising there would some counter piece that attempts to squash the elation of Met fans. Look, this dude could be worse than the Wilpons but its really hard to believe he will be. We see he has a prevalence for spending big and like any wealthy businessman, he understands there is risk involved. There's also the adage that the only way to make money is to spend money and you don't become a billionaire 13 times over without doing those things.

    We get it. He's certainly not going to invest in the team to take a loss on it but the thing about professional sports is that teams are constantly appreciating in value. We keep waiting for the buck to stop but it doesn't. I'm sure Cohen is aware that winning baseball teams also make a lot more money when its time to be sold.
    Last edited by metswon69; 12-07-2019 at 02:22 PM.

  14. #134
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    35,627
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinde View Post
    He might be a crook but he is a hypercompetent crook. Best present ever!
    They're all crooks when we're talking about billions of dollars. You don't make that money without breaking a law or 20 along the way. At the end of the day, as long as he's spending money like the other big market teams are, then its a huge step up from the Wilpons who apparently couldn't afford a mid market payroll without bleeding money.

    That's why the position never made any sense to me that MLB shouldn't have gotten involved. Yes, McCourt's circumstances were more dire but clearly the Wilpons had a significant cash flow problem and it wasn't going to get measurably better until the team was sold. Fred has friends in high places though.
    Last edited by metswon69; 12-07-2019 at 03:14 PM.

  15. #135
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Kabul Afghanistan
    Posts
    2,734
    In order to take ownership, he will have to meet some financial scrutiny.... which I dont think the Wilpons would pass today if they wanted to buy the Mets today.

    The Wilpons are obviously in a financial mess and need to start cashing out their toys to maintain their lifestyle.

    I still think they were pressured to sell. They cant afford to own a team.

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •