Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Not sure this is a reliable source but popped up on my TL:

Joe DeMayo
    @PSLToFlushing

1h
    ďAccording to sources, Cohen, who is currently a minority owner of the Mets, would immediately own at least a tad over 50% should the deal be approved.Ē

Itís possible if agreed/approved in a reasonable timeframe spending can start ASAP. #Mets

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeoza.../#5b80fd89416e

This was the best day ever!!! I canít believe it

Cohen is going to have to use his own money to help this team though. I dont see the Mets being super profitable without SNY, their stadium debt, etc. Although I have to believe the stadium and team debts were bought in the 2+ billion dollars the Mets cost. If the Wilpons were smart they would sell their majority share in SNY and debts against that as well.

From what I've read he is a lifelong Mets fan and we know he has ridiculously deep pockets. Just shows how bad we wanted Fred and Jeff out that we're okay with a new owner who had to pay like 700 million dollars for securities fraud.

Yikes with these rich mother****ers.

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Chances are that painting is in a bonded warehouse somewhere and Cohen has never seen it. Heíll resell it for $200M one day and possibly never physically see it

The Wilpons get the last laugh in making Met fans mostly miserable since taking primary ownership. They get over 2 billion dollars and are reportedly keeping their majority stake in SNY.
    Iíve always said theyíre smart business people, they just donít care about winning the World Series. They want relevancy through the season to keep the stadium full and if by chance it turns into a World Series, great, if not, they made money and still win.

Cohen is going to have to use his own money to help this team though. I dont see the Mets being super profitable without SNY, their stadium debt, etc. Although I have to believe the stadium and team debts were bought in the 2+ billion dollars the Mets cost. If the Wilpons were smart they would sell their majority share in SNY and debts against that as well.

From what I've read he is a lifelong Mets fan and we know he has ridiculously deep pockets. Just shows how bad we wanted Fred and Jeff out that we're okay with a new owner who had to pay like 700 million dollars for securities fraud.

Yikes with these rich mother****ers.
    Like just about every brilliance he is probably a piece of ****, but at least it sounds like he will spend unlike the current POS owning the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
    Chances are that painting is in a bonded warehouse somewhere and Cohen has never seen it. Heíll resell it for $200M one day and possibly never physically see it
    Pointing man was inspired by the future Hansel Robles.

Hopefully we'll learn more about what Cohen can do, and when, in the next few days. I want to know how quickly can Cohen exert any kind of influence. For instance, how quickly can he lobby through official or back channels for a payroll increase or the signing of a specific player? Is there any way that his future involvement ($$) can influence this offseason? Even if he was able to say "don't sell off controllable assets for win now older players because there are other ways to get better AND keep our young core and I'm going to do them ASAP..."

Because he was already approved as a minority owner by MLB the majority approval process presumably shouldn't take as long. They've been reporting a five year transition but I've also seen that he'd have more than 50% as soon as he's approved. If true, that would significantly accelerate things on a grander scale. Also, if I'm Brodie, I'd want to know how to proceed this off season? Who is setting his budget, okay-ing moves and where does he stand with the new regime? I can actually see Brodie getting along with him and working with Axe Capital swagger money. As mentioned, it all comes down to how the moves play out. Cole is great but he's still going to be someone's $300m roll of the dice.

I'm curious why Cohen wouldn't have insisted upon having SNY part of the deal. Everyone has always said that TV rights were the most lucrative part of any team. Either he didn't care or he knows something about the way that rights will play out in a world where streaming and other factors are involved.

Quote Originally Posted by The Futurist View Post
    Hopefully we'll learn more about what Cohen can do, and when, in the next few days. I want to know how quickly can Cohen exert any kind of influence. For instance, how quickly can he lobby through official or back channels for a payroll increase or the signing of a specific player? Is there any way that his future involvement ($$) can influence this offseason? Even if he was able to say "don't sell off controllable assets for win now older players because there are other ways to get better AND keep our young core and I'm going to do them ASAP..."

Because he was already approved as a minority owner by MLB the majority approval process presumably shouldn't take as long. They've been reporting a five year transition but I've also seen that he'd have more than 50% as soon as he's approved. If true, that would significantly accelerate things on a grander scale. Also, if I'm Brodie, I'd want to know how to proceed this off season? Who is setting his budget, okay-ing moves and where does he stand with the new regime? I can actually see Brodie getting along with him and working with Axe Capital swagger money. As mentioned, it all comes down to how the moves play out. Cole is great but he's still going to be someone's $300m roll of the dice.
    Do you really think Brodie hasnít been well aware of the negotiation for months? Iím positive everything has been well laid out to Brodie if a deal happened or didnít happen. These negotiations didnít just start, probably well over a year in the making. Brodie was likely brought in 6 months ago

Quote Originally Posted by The Futurist View Post
    I'm curious why Cohen wouldn't have insisted upon having SNY part of the deal. Everyone has always said that TV rights were the most lucrative part of any team. Either he didn't care or he knows something about the way that rights will play out in a world where streaming and other factors are involved.
    Iím sure at some point the SNY agreement will expire and Cohen will get his shot at a new TV deal

Why Steve Cohen, Not Wilpons, Will Likely Run The New York Mets Immediately

According to my sources, Cohen, who is currently a minority owner of the Mets, would immediately own at least a tad over 50% should the deal be approved. Why would anybody buying a majority stake in a dysfunctional business allow the folks who ran it dysfunctionally for years keep running it? Time is of the essence.
    Yeah. Who buys such an expensive toy and then waits five years to play with it?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeoza...4#660e4480416e
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears Ė but they seem kinda sensible...."

Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Yeah. Who buys such an expensive toy and then waits five years to play with it?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeoza...4#660e4480416e
    Can you post the article? Forbes doesnít let me view with my ad blocker

Curious to see if Brodie is forced out and a new, experienced GM is brought in to start putting this team together or if they let him bring in the expensive talent that he wants.

If it was up to me, start from scratch.

The 34 year nightmare is nearly over!

Doesnít make sense at all for Cohen to not be in charge from day 1. Iíd be really surprised if the Wilpons continued to have final say in running things once the check has cleared. They have organizational experience which matters and helps a transition period, but I doubt it means they have control.

I also donít know how the TV deal part of this works. As it stands the Mets get very little from SNY relative to other major market teams - win win for the Wilpons. But why would a guy spend over $2B to buy The New York Mets and not insist on either control of the tv network or, at the very least, a renegotiation of the deal to benefit the team?

As far as immediate cash flow, I fully expect Cohen to infuse enough into the team as soon as the deal is done to go after big name free agents right away. So as a fan, you hope this deal gets done fast. And if youíre a free agent player or agent, you may want to hold your horses until the NY Mets are back in the buyers market again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't worry. He's got this.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast