Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    You guys can argue that Wheeler got too much, but what is too much?

The market is what it is, and multiple teams seemed eager to offer him that sort of deal.

Why?

He’s in his prime. He has filthy stuff, and he has very little mileage on his arm.

I don’t think the teams that wanted to offer Wheeler a lot of money are crazy at all. This is a case of paying someone before they hit their actual peak.

And we still have a huge hole in our starting rotation. And now that has to be filled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't worry. He's got this.

Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post

The market is what it is, and multiple teams seemed eager to offer him that sort of deal.

Why?

He’s in his prime. He has filthy stuff, and he has very little mileage on his arm.

I don’t think the teams that wanted to offer Wheeler a lot of money are crazy at all. This is a case of paying someone before they hit their actual peak.

And we still have a huge hole in our starting rotation. And now that has to be filled.

There was no chance they had three 100+ million dollar pitchers in their rotation (deGrom, Wheeler and a soon to be paid guy in Syndergaard). Its easy to accuse the Mets of being cheap but even the biggest market teams don't do that. Its not a smart investment. You're right, the market is what it is but sometimes you have to take inventory and make the hard decision. Let's be honest, we wouldn't care much if Wheeler went to the White Sox. Its only a bigger deal because he went to a divisional rival.

That's why they acquired Stroman. The thing is they need a legit 5th SP now. Not some ******** where they take on a former top prospect who has been a journeyman in the minors, no organizational types, etc.
    Last edited by metswon69; 12-05-2019 at 05:08 AM.

Wheeler to Phils

I don’t think the Mets would have paid 3 guys like that, and I assumed Wheeler was gone.

Just pointing out that a lot of teams valued him and I don’t think that’s crazy the way some of our posters think it is. He is exactly the type of prime age pitcher you want to invest in in today’s game.

Last edited by GottaBelieve; 12-05-2019 at 09:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post

Why?

He has filthy stuff. And he's never been able to put an entire season together.

From an emotional standpoint, we're thinking about Wheeler when he was unhittable, in control, in command, and dominant. But there's another side of Wheeler that we're not thinking about right now. He was 11-8 last year with a .3.96 ERA last year. That represented a whole lot of not-so-great pitching that we're tending not to remember right now.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears – but they seem kinda sensible...."

Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    He has filthy stuff. And he's never been able to put an entire season together.

From an emotional standpoint, we're thinking about Wheeler when he was unhittable, in control, in command, and dominant. But there's another side of Wheeler that we're not thinking about right now. He was 11-8 last year with a .3.96 ERA last year. That represented a whole lot of not-so-great pitching that we're tending not to remember right now.
    I think its more of we know what he's capable of which hurts more. If he just was the 11-8 3.96 ERA and nothing more, he wouldn't be missed that much and also he wouldn't be getting that kind of contract. Also, given the track record of the front office, we're going to get some bargain basement guy who is just worth 11-8 and 3.96 only and nothing more. So in that sense it would be a downgrade from Wheeler as Wheeler has much more potential than that. It also opened up yet another hole in the bullpen.

Wheeler got paid off potential, period. I believe Stroman can provide similar results over the next 5 years for much less than $100m if they decide to re-sign him. Just because Wheeler has been above average overall for the last 2 years doesn’t mean he is worth $24m annually for 5 years when he has been hurt or mediocre for the rest of his career.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    Wheeler got paid off potential, period. I believe Stroman can provide similar results over the next 5 years for much less than $100m if they decide to re-sign him. Just because Wheeler has been above average overall for the last 2 years doesn’t mean he is worth $24m annually for 5 years when he has been hurt or mediocre for the rest of his career.
    Im still not sold on Stroman. I thought he was ok not great. I admit I have always been a wheeler fan but never thought he was an ace. Still feel we could have resigned him for much less last year or we could have gotten a better return at the deadline. But at least with Cohen coming in we should br able to get a better GM in here who knows what he is doing

Quote Originally Posted by mookiewilson View Post
    I think its more of we know what he's capable of which hurts more. If he just was the 11-8 3.96 ERA and nothing more, he wouldn't be missed that much and also he wouldn't be getting that kind of contract. Also, given the track record of the front office, we're going to get some bargain basement guy who is just worth 11-8 and 3.96 only and nothing more. So in that sense it would be a downgrade from Wheeler as Wheeler has much more potential than that. It also opened up yet another hole in the bullpen.
    We were all wowed with what he's capable of. But we're kidding ourselves if we thought we just lost Jake deGrom II. At times he was better than Jake but never over the long haul. The Phillies just bet on an inside straight.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears – but they seem kinda sensible...."

Stupid money spent part deux

Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    We were all wowed with what he's capable of. But we're kidding ourselves if we thought we just lost Jake deGrom II. At times he was better than Jake but never over the long haul. The Phillies just bet on an inside straight.
    True. But quite a bit of former Mets do have a good track record of going elsewhere and doing much better than here.

Quote Originally Posted by mookiewilson View Post
    True. But quite a bit of former Mets do have a good track record of going elsewhere and doing much better than here.
    Funny how that works.

I liked Wheeler, I thought 5/90 would have been a good deal for both parties. However when someone flashes $28 more million at you and you still get to keep the wife happy by living in NJ, seems easy and as a Met fan, I wouldn’t have matched either. Rumor has it, White Sox offered even more but he wanted to live in NJ

Quote Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
    I liked Wheeler, I thought 5/90 would have been a good deal for both parties. However when someone flashes $28 more million at you and you still get to keep the wife happy by living in NJ, seems easy and as a Met fan, I wouldn’t have matched either. Rumor has it, White Sox offered even more but he wanted to live in NJ
    There were quite a few people in this forum who thought he would even get less than 90.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Did he get overpaid? Maybe.

But I really think a lot of you guys are underrating Wheeler. You can’t teach his stuff - and he’s getting better at utilizing it.

He has very little arm mileage and is a good pitching coach away from deGrom level production IMO.

He’s far better than Stroman who is a decent mid rotation arm but doesn’t have ace level ability.

Mike puma
    Can confirm, Zack Wheeler to the Phillies. The Mets did not make an offer, but Wheeler’s camp circled back before taking Philly’s offer.

I find it funny that the Mets overpaid to keep Diaz off the Phils, but failed to make an offer to Wheeler or Harper, lost out on Giradi and completely botched the Relamuto trade.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast