Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Wheeler to Phils

5 years over 100 million.

Actually, $118 million. Good luck pitching in that bandbox. Onward and upward. But geez, $23.6 mil a year for 5 years for Wheeler? Really? For a guy who never made an all star team once? Never led the league in anything once?

Wow.
    Last edited by fanofclendennon; 12-04-2019 at 03:53 PM.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears – but they seem kinda sensible...."

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    5 years over 100 million.
    5 years/118 million. Cole and Strasburg must be licking their chops if that's the money Wheeler got.

The Gods Must Be Crazy.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears – but they seem kinda sensible...."

I dont even care that Wheeler got that money. I understand the hesitation in not making that move. Its the fact that the Phillies and Braves are being proactive and the Mets are sitting on their ***, hoping for scraps of the offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    I dont even care that Wheeler got that money. I understand the hesitation in not making that move. Its the fact that the Phillies and Braves are being proactive and the Mets are sitting on their ***, hoping for scraps of the offseason.
    Wheeler at 5 years, 118 mill is a foolish signing. He's 30 years old, has yet to put a full season of consistency together and has a history of arm trouble. Now he's going from a pitcher's park to a bandbox. I wish the impatient Phillies all the luck in the world. They're going to need it.

Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Wheeler at 5 years, 118 mill is a foolish signing. He's 30 years old, has yet to put a full season of consistency together and has a history of arm trouble. Now he's going from a pitcher's park to a bandbox. I wish the impatient Phillies all the luck in the world. They're going to need it.
    I agree with you. My concern is what are the Mets actively doing to get better? You have to think in the first year or two Wheeler will provide beneficial returns which helps the Phillies and hurts the Mets. This is a division where you have to be on the offensive because aside from the Marlins, there are no pushovers.

So what's the Mets counter move?
    Last edited by metswon69; 12-04-2019 at 04:12 PM.

Thats ok. The Mets will sign, um, uh, well they'll trade for um, uh, well they'll do something eventually. Maybe next year.

Oh wait, they did do something. Named the new manager, new bench coach and pitching coach. That has to count for something, right?

I agree with you. My concern is what are the Mets actively doing to get better? You have to think in the first year or two Wheeler will provide beneficial returns which helps the Phillies and hurts the Mets. This is a division where you have to be on the offensive because aside from the Marlins, there are no pushovers.

I believe Beltran, Meulens and that pitching coach guy were the counter moves.

Quote Originally Posted by mookiewilson View Post
    Thats ok. The Mets will sign, um, uh, well they'll trade for um, uh, well they'll do something eventually. Maybe next year.

Oh wait, they did do something. Named the new manager, new bench coach and pitching coach. That has to count for something, right?
    Yeah they're closing their own window. You have the ROTY, you have the 2 time reigning Cy Young winner and a potential batting champ all in their respective primes and they'll have some sleepy offseason. I get its early but we've seen this script far too many times. Sometimes you have to ignore your competition and continue on the path that you're going and sometimes you have to make a move in response.

Let's see what this team does.

btw. That sounds like the Mets. "Hey at least we brought back Beltran".

The Gods Must Be Crazy.
    Yep. Well if you look at it from Wheeler's perspective. "You're going to pay me 26 mil per year for 5 years to throw a ball? Ok, where do I sign?" Can't blame him for signing for that much. He's a good pitcher but I wouldn't give him that kind of contract. Phillies are being aggressive.

Lol. Can Cano pitch? I mean, yeah, you're right. We just lost a pretty good pitcher. That doesn't mean we should have paid Wheeler that kind of money to keep him here. Thing is, by June, the Phillies could be looking at a very expensive pitcher who can''t get anyone out. Have we already forgotten how bad Wheeler is capable of pitching?

To answer your question, who replaces Wheeler in the rotation now? I don't know. And yes, he's on third!

Lol. Can Cano pitch? I mean, yeah, you're right. We just lost a pretty good pitcher. That doesn't mean we should have paid Wheeler that kind of money to keep him here. Thing is, by June, the Phillies could be looking at a very expensive pitcher who can''t get anyone out. Have we already forgotten how bad Wheeler is capable of pitching?

To answer your question, who replaces Wheeler in the rotation now? I don't know. And yes, he's on third!
    I don't give a darn!

Quote Originally Posted by mookiewilson View Post
    Yep. Well if you look at it from Wheeler's perspective. "You're going to pay me 26 mil per year for 5 years to throw a ball? Ok, where do I sign?" Can't blame him for signing for that much. He's a good pitcher but I wouldn't give him that kind of contract. Phillies are being aggressive.
    Oh, if I'm Wheeler, I can't sign that piece of paper quick enough.

the problem is that we have a hole in our rotation. They have already said that Lugo May fill in which will make our already trashy bullpen worse. Or they will try and sign Porcello who was not good last year. I’m still not confident in Stroman either. They could have resign Wheeler last year for probably a lot less but of course didn’t try. I’m more worried that we are gonna give away what remains of our already depleted farm system or a cost controlled player to get rid of a bad contract that was foolish brought in last year

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast