Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 NFL Draft

Quote Originally Posted by ahoda View Post
    Uche will get this staff fired as he is still very raw and will need a couple seasons.
    not to mention he comes from a blitz happy system and would be entering... well... the Lions

Isaiah Simmons, 6-4/238

Linebacker

Clemson

Isaiah Simmons Scouting Report
    By Charlie Campbell

Strengths:
    • Great sub-package linebacker
    • Instinctive
    • Extremely fast
    • Sideline-to-sideline speed
    • Very good run defender
    • Excellent pass-coverage linebacker
    • Can cover running backs, tight ends, receivers
    • Rare cover skills for a linebacker, covers like a safety
    • Has covered slot receivers in man-to-man
    • Can run down the middle seam
    • Good vision
    • Reads plays well
    • Sideline-to-sideline speed
    • Superb at knowing when to fire his gun
    • Good pursuit defender
    • Closing quickness
    • Athletic
    • Dangerous blitzer
    • Excellent tackler
    • Open-field tackler
    • Hard hitter
    • Is an enforcer in the middle of the field
    • Never hesitates to get physical
    • Natural build
    • Covers a lot of ground in zone coverage
    • Can break down in space
    • Ability to redirect
    • Could also contribute on special teams

Weaknesses:
    • Could stand to get better at taking on and shedding blocks
    • Not a fit to be a Mike - middle - linebacker

Summary: Simmons was a key player on the Clemson defense for three years. As a redshirt freshman in 2017, Simmons saw his first action and totaled 45 tackles with three tackles for a loss and six passes broken up. Simmons improved in 2018 and had a big presence for the Tigers, cleaning up a lot plays behind their star-studded defensive line. He totaled 89 tackles with six passes broken up, three forced fumbles and one interception while helping the Tigers claim another National Championship.

During the 2018 season, many area scouts who cover Clemson were preparing reports on Simmons as he could have entered the 2019 NFL Draft. It would not have been a bad decision, as NFL teams were projecting him to be a first- or second-round pick. However, Simmons decided to return for his junior year at Clemson, and that was a great decision as he played his way into being a potential top-10 pick.

In 2019, Simmons totaled 104 tackles with seven sacks, one forced fumble, three interceptions and eight passes broken up. He then had a tremendous showing at the NFL Scouting Combine, recording a legendary 4.39-second 40-yard dash.

The first trait that stands out about Simmons is his instinctiveness. He is very impressive with how quickly he anticipates what an offense is trying to do and gets in position to contribute to stopping the play. Defensive coaches in the NFL have a term called "fire your gun," which is when a player makes a decision to come downhill or chase down a ball-carrier. Simmons is very good at deciding when to fire his gun as he does not bite on misdirection. He makes wise choices on when to go after the ball-carrier and not get caught out of position.

With the NFL being a passing-driven league, defenses need linebackers who are capable of contributing to pass coverage. Simmons is that kind of linebacker, as he is a true asset to defend passing attacks while also being a good run defender in the middle of the field. While he has the size of a linebacker, Simmons has the cover skills of a safety and does some very unique things in pass coverage. Thus, he is a rare and elite sub-package linebacker for the NFL.

Simmons is the best pass-coverage linebacker in the 2020 NFL Draft. He is a fast linebacker who covers a lot of ground in zone coverage while also showing the ability to run down the middle seam. During the 2019 season, Simmons showed great speed to run with slot receivers downfield, and it was incredible to see him run stride-for-stride with those wideouts.

As a pro, Simmons should be a nice asset to cover tight ends running vertically down the middle of the field, running backs leaking out of the backfield, and he also should be a good defender to help with receivers crossing the middle of the field. He won't hesitate to get physical and can be a hard-hitting enforcer in the middle of the field. On top of being able to cover up receivers, Simmons has good ball skills for a linebacker, showing an ability to take the ball away. He is smart and instinctive to get in throwing lanes and disrupt passes. Simmons' pass coverage is his best trait, and he should be an asset in coverage quickly in his NFL career.

On top of Simmons being very good in coverage, he also is a dangerous blitzer with closing speed to hunt down quarterbacks. He could even get some consideration as an outside edge rusher in obvious passing situations.

As a run defender, Simmons combines instincts with explosive speed to cover sideline to sideline. He chases down ball-carriers while having the size and strength to handle big backs. Tackling is becoming a lost art in college and NFL football as the reduction in practices and the limitations on how physical practices can be has led to defensive players not being as technically sound at tackling. Simmons is an exception to the trend, as he is a very good tackler doing an excellent job of tackling low and wrapping up ball-carriers. While he will dish out some big hits, he does not miss tackles at the expense of pummeling a ball-carrier.

In the ground game, Simmons has excellent speed to close, is able to change direction to redirect, and is bolt of lightning to the flat on perimeter runs. He often reads plays quickly and explodes downhill to make tackles near the line of scrimmage, in the backfield, or disrupt the run to set up teammates for a stop near the line of scrimmage. The one real negative for Simmons for the NFL is taking on and shedding blocks. He is going to have problems with that at the next level. Simmons will need to work to get better at taking on and shedding blocks when runs come downhill straight at him, but that is case for almost all college linebackers going to the NFL.

Simmons looks like a top-12 pick in the 2020 NFL Draft. He could quickly become one of the league's top outside linebackers.

Player Comparison: Lavonte David. Simmons reminds me of a bigger version of Lavonte David. Both are tremendous in pass coverage with rare speed and athleticism to cover. They also are sideline-to-sideline run defenders who consistently put their defenses in a favorable down-and-distance situations. In the NFL, I think Simmons could have an impact like David for his pro defense.
    Based on this scouting report he has more strengths than weaknesses and is worth of the #3 pick in my mind.

2016 PSD LIONS FORUM COMEBACK POSTER OF THE YEAR

Favorite Teams
    Detroit Red Wings
    Detroit Lions
    Detroit Tigers
    North Carolina Tarheels Mens Basketball
    Florida State Seminoles Welcome to Tallahassee Mike Norvell!

Jeff Okudah, 6-1/205

Cornerback

Ohio State

Jeff Okudah Scouting Report
    By Charlie Campbell

Strengths:
    • Very good cover corner
    • Good instincts
    • Runs the route with the receiver
    • Prevents separation
    • Good height, weight, length
    • Fast
    • Quick feet
    • Transitions well
    • Can cover up speed receivers
    • Has ball skills
    • Loose hips to turn and run with speed receivers
    • Sits on routes and challenges speed receivers
    • Can play press-man coverage
    • Can play off-man coverage
    • Can play zone coverage
    • Good length
    • Tough defender
    • Quality tackler
    • Willing run defender
    • Height
    • Tracks the ball well downfield
    • Recoverability
    • Successful against good college receivers
    • Should be able to play quickly
    • Physical; will battle receivers
    • Confident; has the man-corner mentality
    • Big upside

Weaknesses:
    • Ball skills were a little lacking in 2018
    • Looked bad at the combine

Summary: Ohio State has been a factory of NFL talent, and that has especially been the case with the recruiting classes produced by Urban Meyer. During the 2016 season, the Buckeyes had a standout NFL secondary with three first-round talents at cornerback, Marshon Lattimore, Gareon Conley and Denzel Ward, and one at free safety, Malik Hooker. After that group moved on to the NFL over two drafts, a new group of corner talent took over for the Buckeyes, with Okudah as the star of the secondary.

Following Ward's departure for the NFL, Okudah became Ohio State's No. 1 cornerback in 2018 and had an excellent sophomore season. In 2018, he had 32 tackles with eight breakups.

As a junior, Okudah took his game to another level and was the best defensive back in college football during the 2019 season. He was a shut down down corner that dominated wide receivers. Importantly, his ball production is vastly improved over his 2018 season and he totaled 35 tackles with nine passes broken up and three interceptions on the year.

The only game where he had some issues was with Wisconsin in the Big Ten Championship. Against the Badgers, Okudah made some superb plays in coverage, but also was beaten for a would-be touchdown and was fortunate that his safety broke up the pass in the end zone.

At the NFL Scouting Combine, Okudah ran well in the 40 with a time of 4.48 seconds. However, teams have heard he's run faster on other occasions and he probably is faster than that. Sources felt Okudah struggled in the field drills at combine before his day ended early after a hard landing with his head hitting the turf. Considering his tape and body of work, that day looks like the anomaly.

Okudah is a well-rounded prospect who does everything well. He is very good at preventing separation as he can vertically stay with speed wideouts and run the routes with receivers. Okudah has the size and physicality to match up with big wideouts and the speed to defend the vertical threats. Given his aggressive and physical style of play, Okudah sits on routes and really challenges receivers to run by him.

Downfield, Okudah is a tough defender, using his length to cover up wideouts, speed to run with them, and a burst for recoverability. He can jam receivers with the ability turn and run with them downfield. Over the past couple of seasons, he did a very good job of slapping passes away, and as a junior, he showed improvement to produce some interceptions. Okudah is a good tackler and willing run defender who does not hesitate to close on a ball-carrier to make a hit in space.

For the NFL, Okudah looks like a future No. 1 cornerback and Pro Bowler. During his career, he could be one of the top corners in the NFL and capable of limiting elite No. 1 receivers. Okudah is worthy of being a high first-round pick, and this analyst thinks Okudah is a better prospect entering the NFL than Jalen Ramsey (2016) and Denzel Ward (2018) were, and they were both top-five picks in their draft classes.

Player Comparison: Marshon Lattimore. Okudah reminds me of Lattimore at Ohio State. They have similar skill sets and almost identical measurements. In the NFL, I could see Okudah being a cornerback comparable to Lattimore.
    Okudah wouldn't be an awful pick at #3 but I think if we trade out we can still grab him a couple spots down.

Favorite Teams
    Detroit Red Wings
    Detroit Lions
    Detroit Tigers

So what team has technical difficulties while the draft is being conducted online, at home? Can't wait for the Lions to be on the clock and 'buffering' occurs leaving Goodell in charge of our pick.

"I'm sure they can use another TE".

Quote Originally Posted by tigers.6 View Post
    So what team has technical difficulties while the draft is being conducted online, at home? Can't wait for the Lions to be on the clock and 'buffering' occurs leaving Goodell in charge of our pick.

"I'm sure they can use another TE".

I could totally see that happening too, just our luck. The league will just have to go for whoever is the slowest and least athletic.

So Derrick Brown.
    Last edited by LionsFan..LOL; 04-06-2020 at 06:28 PM.

Slowest and least athletic? Gotta be the Mullet Punter from Penn State.

Quote Originally Posted by rocket View Post
    How is Simmons and elite prospect when he isn't elite at anything?

Like I get it he can play anywhere on the field but he's not elite at anything

also Jerry Jeudy is better than CeeDee
    I like Jeudy, I just don't think he's the nasty, make the play no matter what type of WR Lamb is. Simmons is elite, he is elite physically and his play in college spoke for itself, there is no other player like him and he fits directly into this Patricia defense.

Quote Originally Posted by rocket View Post
    Can't read the field but somehow had a 87/11 TD to INT ratio.

Let's not forget most of his passing yards are down the field balls.

Tua's completion percentage grew every season and his INT rate fell in each of his three seasons lul
    I admit I mess with people a little bit about Tua. Some say he's a guaranteed HoF QB and a transformational player, I just called him a bust...twice. The truth is he's neither. He's a pretty good prospect but he's seriously over-hyped by the media. Even before his hip injury there were doubts about his durability and questions about the role his team played in his success. Add in the hip injury and things really get complicated. Someone will take a chance on him, almost certainly in the first round, but the questions are how high does he go and will he be signed right away or will the offer be delayed until the possibility of necrosis is eliminated? He's not out of the woods yet you know, that's not for another 2 or 3 months.

Once again I had a little fun on first-pick.com.

Miami traded up with me to select Tua and I received their #5 and #18 picks. When it was my time to draft at #18 I traded with Tennessee for their 1st, 2nd & 3rd picks. My last trade was with Minnesota for or 3rd pick in the 6th round for their 26th & 28th pick in round 6 and their 5th pick in the 7th.

Your score is: 43173 (GRADE: A)

Your Picks:
    Round 1 Pick 5 (MIA): Isaiah Simmons, OLB/ILB, Clemson (A+)
    Round 1 Pick 29 (TENN): Javon Kinlaw, DT, South Carolina (A+)
    Round 2 Pick 3: A.J. Terrell, CB, Clemson (A)
    Round 2 Pick 29 (TENN): Jonathan Greenard, DE, Florida (A)
    Round 3 Pick 3: D'Andre Swift, RB, Georgia (A+)
    Round 3 Pick 21: Tyler Biadasz, C/OG, Wisconsin (A+)
    Round 3 Pick 29 (TENN): Tyler Johnson, WR, Minnesota (A+)
    Round 4 Pick 3: Jeremy Chinn, FS/SS, S. Illinois (A+)
    Round 5 Pick 3: Saahdiq Charles, OT/OG, LSU (A+)
    Round 5 Pick 20: Trystan Colon-Castillo, OG/C, Missouri (A+)
    Round 6 Pick 26 (MINN): Colby Parkinson, TE, Stanford (A+)
    Round 6 Pick 28 (MINN): D.J. Wonnum, DE, South Carolina (A+)
    Round 7 Pick 5 (MINN): Brian Lewerke, QB, Michigan St. (A+)
    Round 7 Pick 21: Antoine Brooks Jr., FS/SS, Maryland (A+)

If this happen for real then i think it would be a successful draft. I honestly don't see it happening especially Swift lasting to the 3rd round.

Favorite Teams
    Detroit Red Wings
    Detroit Lions
    Detroit Tigers

Kinlaw is rapidly rising up as my favorite prospects. At this point it seems Okudah is a lock at #3 but I wouldn't mind trading down to get him and another player. Chaisson and Kinlaw for example would really bolster our lame pass rush.

Quote Originally Posted by LionsFan..LOL View Post
    Kinlaw is rapidly rising up as my favorite prospects. At this point it seems Okudah is a lock at #3 but I wouldn't mind trading down to get him and another player. Chaisson and Kinlaw for example would really bolster our lame pass rush.
    I really don't understand why EVERYONE is pushing Okudah to the Lions. Is he a great college player? Yes. Will he be a great professional player? Perhaps. Do we need a CB? Absolutely!

However, everyone talks about how great Slay was/is and we still had one of the worst defenses in the entire league. Why would replacing him with a top rated college prospect make me think that the defense would get better?

Quote Originally Posted by tigers.6 View Post
    I really don't understand why EVERYONE is pushing Okudah to the Lions. Is he a great college player? Yes. Will he be a great professional player? Perhaps. Do we need a CB? Absolutely!

However, everyone talks about how great Slay was/is and we still had one of the worst defenses in the entire league. Why would replacing him with a top rated college prospect make me think that the defense would get better?
    They basically created another hole with the Slay trade. Not only all of what we've said but CB's have a longer learning curve too. Remember how awful Slay was in year 1. For a team that is win now it would seem they are banking a lot on a rookie CB to come in and be starter quality already. Then again the mandate could be a load of ******** to pacify fans so they can afford to take him knowing they'll be fine.

The defense isn't going to change imo until P and Q are fired anyway. It is an concept that works only in New England. Without pressure QB's now more than ever are going to pick you apart. Sitting in contain and hoping your secondary can hold on forever seems assbackwards. Also slowing down adding large, long but unatheletic LB's doesn't help either. Davis the exception to the slow part but is so poor in other areas it doesn't matter.
    Last edited by LionsFan..LOL; 04-08-2020 at 02:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LionsFan..LOL View Post
    They basically created another hole with the Slay trade. Not only all of what we've said but CB's have a longer learning curve too. Remember how awful Slay was in year 1. For a team that is win now it would seem they are banking a lot on a rookie CB to come in and be starter quality already. Then again the mandate could be a load of ******** to pacify fans so they can afford to take him knowing they'll be fine.

The defense isn't going to change imo until P and Q are fired anyway. It is an concept that works only in New England. Without pressure QB's now more than ever are going to pick you apart. Sitting in contain and hoping your secondary can hold on forever seems assbackwards. Also slowing down adding large, long but unatheletic LB's doesn't help either. Davis the exception to the slow part but is so poor in other areas it doesn't matter.
    That "mandate" was a joke, the Fords just don't like being criticized and I can't see Quinn picking Okudah or any other CB in the first round. Everything he's done seems to indicate that Quinn doesn't really value the CB position beyond having a serviceable CB1.

Your score is: 44658 (GRADE: A+)

Your Picks:
    Round 1 Pick 17 (DAL): K'Lavon Chaisson, DE/OLB, LSU (A+)
    Round 2 Pick 3: Neville Gallimore, DT, Oklahoma (A+)
    Round 2 Pick 14 (DEN): A.J. Terrell, CB, Clemson (A+)
    Round 2 Pick 29 (TENN): Jacob Eason, QB, Washington (A+)
    Round 3 Pick 3: Akeem Davis-Gaither, OLB, App. St. (A)
    Round 3 Pick 21: Zack Moss, RB, Utah (A+)
    Round 3 Pick 29 (TENN): Michael Pittman Jr., WR, USC (A+)
    Round 4 Pick 3: Antonio Gandy-Golden, WR, Liberty (A+)
    Round 5 Pick 3: Shane Lemieux, OG, Oregon (A+)
    Round 5 Pick 23 (N.O.): Joe Bachie, OLB/ILB, Michigan St. (A+)
    Round 5 Pick 28 (TENN): Thaddeus Moss, TE, LSU (A+)
    Round 6 Pick 3: Khaleke Hudson, OLB/FS, Michigan (A+)
    Round 6 Pick 24 (N.O.): Benito Jones, DT, Ole Miss (A+)
    Round 7 Pick 21: Drew Richmond, OT, USC (A+)

Your Future Picks:
    2021 Round 1 Pick (DEN)
    2021 Round 1 Pick
    2022 Round 1 Pick

So I had a little fun again on a mock draft on first-pick.com. I traded the third pick to Denver for #15, #46 and a 2021 First round pick. I then traded with Dallas to move down 2 more spots and picked up pick #51 also. I turned #51 into #61 and #93 from the Titans. I traded our pick #166 to the Saints for picks #169 and #203. Overall this was my best draft on this website.

Favorite Teams
    Detroit Red Wings
    Detroit Lions
    Detroit Tigers

Quote Originally Posted by vader817 View Post
    Your score is: 44658 (GRADE: A+)

Your Picks:
    Round 1 Pick 17 (DAL): K'Lavon Chaisson, DE/OLB, LSU (A+)
    Round 2 Pick 3: Neville Gallimore, DT, Oklahoma (A+)
    Round 2 Pick 14 (DEN): A.J. Terrell, CB, Clemson (A+)
    Round 2 Pick 29 (TENN): Jacob Eason, QB, Washington (A+)
    Round 3 Pick 3: Akeem Davis-Gaither, OLB, App. St. (A)
    Round 3 Pick 21: Zack Moss, RB, Utah (A+)
    Round 3 Pick 29 (TENN): Michael Pittman Jr., WR, USC (A+)
    Round 4 Pick 3: Antonio Gandy-Golden, WR, Liberty (A+)
    Round 5 Pick 3: Shane Lemieux, OG, Oregon (A+)
    Round 5 Pick 23 (N.O.): Joe Bachie, OLB/ILB, Michigan St. (A+)
    Round 5 Pick 28 (TENN): Thaddeus Moss, TE, LSU (A+)
    Round 6 Pick 3: Khaleke Hudson, OLB/FS, Michigan (A+)
    Round 6 Pick 24 (N.O.): Benito Jones, DT, Ole Miss (A+)
    Round 7 Pick 21: Drew Richmond, OT, USC (A+)

Your Future Picks:
    2021 Round 1 Pick (DEN)
    2021 Round 1 Pick
    2022 Round 1 Pick

So I had a little fun again on a mock draft on first-pick.com. I traded the third pick to Denver for #15, #46 and a 2021 First round pick. I then traded with Dallas to move down 2 more spots and picked up pick #51 also. I turned #51 into #61 and #93 from the Titans. I traded our pick #166 to the Saints for picks #169 and #203. Overall this was my best draft on this website.
    A+ on all picks, that's impressive. Never been able to do that.

I do wonder how the draft being conducted virtually, and prospects not being able to do the same type of workouts/interviews as they typically would, is going to affect the draft. Are we going to see more trades? Are teams going to be more willing to reach for players? Not reach for players?

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast