Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 10 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    I'm saying history can write things with bias, intentional or unintentional. So while I understand it sounds laughable and ridiculous at face value. I also understand why someone can say I cant really have a full opinion on one guy, its hard to compare.
    Abe Lincoln wins the Civil War, saves the country, and frees the slaves, but you donít have an opinion on it because itís hard to compare and history could be bias? Doesnít that just prove oneís own bias? Itís not like the Civil War isnít the most documented and researched event in American history. I know youíre playing devils advocate, but I feel dumber, sadder and have intense second hand embarrassment reading this argument.

Basically youíre saying you canít trust anything historically documented because it could be bias and since you didnít physically see any of it happen youíre not sure if it really did happen the way it is documented, or maybe it didnít happen at all.

I guess I didnít see my oldest sibling be born, so I can only take the word of my parents, nurses and doctor who performed it, and the birth certificate itself for what theyíre worth, but Iím not really sure because they could be bias.

The Lost Boys of PSD

Quote Originally Posted by statquo View Post
    Abe Lincoln wins the Civil War, saves the country, and frees the slaves, but you donít have an opinion on it because itís hard to compare and history could be bias? Doesnít that just prove oneís own bias? Itís not like the Civil War isnít the most documented and researched event in American history. I know youíre playing devils advocate, but I feel dumber, sadder and have intense second hand embarrassment reading this argument.

Basically youíre saying you canít trust anything historically documented because it could be bias and since you didnít physically see any of it happen youíre not sure if it really did happen the way it is documented, or maybe it didnít happen at all.

I guess I didnít see my oldest sibling be born, so I can only take the word of my parents, nurses and doctor who performed it, and the birth certificate itself for what theyíre worth, but Iím not really sure because they could be bias.
    No I'm saying me not personally knowing much about Lincoln isnt out of the norm, so it wouldn't be for him either. He freed the slaves and that is huge, that's why I said I understand why comparing someone like trump to him sounds ridiculous at face value. But at the same time, I personally cant really say if lincoln was a better president, society may have dictated any northern president at the time may have done the same thing, I dont know.

I'm not really mean to play devil's advocate, but when I read this thread title I kinda chuckled, then I thought to myself I cant really actually think of a argument off the top of my head to say they are necessarily wrong. They probably are, but I dont know
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

"i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

"God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

"don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

My head hurts.

"there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

I'm saying history can write things with bias, intentional or unintentional. So while I understand it sounds laughable and ridiculous at face value. I also understand why someone can say I cant really have a full opinion on one guy, its hard to compare.

One we read a few paragraphs in our lives about, one we're reading paragraphs of his idiotic tweets from his idiotic head on a daily basis
    True. Thatís why no one should relate to other historic figures: Eli Whitney, Booker T. Washington, Malcolm X, Martin Luther King...... they all died before I was born so meh, probably just historical bias with those guys, am I rite?

Not to mention, Muhammad....how can anyone have an opinion about that dude....

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    This. I wonder if there was something else in the environment that caused these particular republicans to answer this way, because I would think it would be hard to find 5 informed people in america who think this way. Amazing.
    Trump is astoundingly less racist that Lincoln, just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by ciaban2.0 View Post
    Trump is astoundingly less racist that Lincoln, just saying.
    It isn't astoundingly considered the times he lived in. Most abolitionists during that time were racist according to our standards but were radical back then as well as Lincoln. If you would put Trump back in that time, with his personality, I am sure his racisms would raise to those of a southern slave owner.

Quote Originally Posted by WES445 View Post
    It isn't astoundingly considered the times he lived in. Most abolitionists during that time were racist according to our standards but were radical back then as well as Lincoln. If you would put Trump back in that time, with his personality, I am sure his racisms would raise to those of a southern slave owner.
    It seems to me based on the way "racist" is thrown around everyone is now and has always been racist.

It seems to me based on the way "racist" is thrown around everyone is now and has always been racist.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by joeyc77 View Post
    True. Thatís why no one should relate to other historic figures: Eli Whitney, Booker T. Washington, Malcolm X, Martin Luther King...... they all died before I was born so meh, probably just historical bias with those guys, am I rite?

Not to mention, Muhammad....how can anyone have an opinion about that dude....
    Easy, by reading up about them.

"i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

"God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

"don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

....but history can write things with bias according to you.

"there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    ....but history can write things with bias according to you.
    History can write things with bias, according to ANYBODY

This totally contradicts your previous post. Are you saying you canít objectively value some of the accomplishments of Lincoln?

Running on a platform of being anti-slavery? Positive or negative

Signing the emancipation proclamation? Positive or negative

Gettysburg address? Positive or negative

These are all accomplishments/events that are documented by ďreading upĒ on them. You choose whether they are positive or negative

No I'm saying me not personally knowing much about Lincoln isnt out of the norm, so it wouldn't be for him either. He freed the slaves and that is huge, that's why I said I understand why comparing someone like trump to him sounds ridiculous at face value. But at the same time, I personally cant really say if lincoln was a better president, society may have dictated any northern president at the time may have done the same thing, I dont know.

I'm not really mean to play devil's advocate, but when I read this thread title I kinda chuckled, then I thought to myself I cant really actually think of a argument off the top of my head to say they are necessarily wrong. They probably are, but I dont know
    Lincoln freed the slaves. I think you're intelligent enough to realize that on that basis alone, he's a better president than Trump. Aren't there kids in cages still?

I haven't noticed the term being thrown around much nowadays. I am aware of racist policies we still have in government.

Page 10 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast