Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

December 2019 Schedule and Discussion Thread

The team knows what they are. They are a team trying improve. They are a team capable of scoring four goals in a short amount of time and they are also a team capable of letting up four goals in a short amount of time.

Goal 1 is to develop the players. This falls on the coaches and the players themselves. The main focus should be to improve each of these players either for this team, or to build trade value to acquire better assets if that player isn’t a fit for the team going forward. Strome and DeAngelo are two guys who may not be here long term, but have built their own value.

Goal 2 is develop the roster/organizational depth. The front office with some input from the coaches have to figure out who belongs here for the future and who doesn’t.

Goal 3 is win. Developing a winning culture is important. The players and coaches are trying to win now as best they can. They are trying to make the playoffs.

These are three goals that all teams have, but the priority of these goals is different for this team than many of the other teams in the league at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by beast023; 12-26-2019 at 10:44 AM.

Thus far, the Rangers are 4-7 in December. It's been a mess on and off the ice:

1. Jacob Trouba is playing absurd # of minutes. Besides averaging 22+ min for most of December, he played 26 min in the win vs Anaheim at home. Basically Quinn doesn't trust anyone more than Trouba. Not Skjei. Not Staal. Not Smith. Not Fox. No one.

2. Lias Andersson indirectly pointing at how he was given the short end of the stick while Brett Howden seems to have a longer leash. Interesting. Are the Rangers any worse on the 4th line with Lias than they are with Howden?

3. Demoting Kakko to the 4th line. Yeah that'll do wonders with his confidence. Not even NJ doing that Hughes. How about putting him with the first line to try and spark him?

4. Rangers have another season bound to Staal, Brendan Smith, and Henrik Lundqvist. That's $18.5M in cap space. In the meantime, they gotta wonder what to do with Strome, Lemieux, Kreider, and Fast with not a lot of wiggle room.

Lindy Ruff and Quinn are playing that old North American style of hockey. Sorry doesn't work anymore. Ask Babcock. Old school is done. Gotta find smarter better systemic ways of getting to the puck faster.

I live in Florida,don't have the package so us being on NHL network last night was a treat for me. Now remember I don't see a lot of games but some observations from last night. 10 is a beast,he sees the ice so well and after seeing so many FA's come here just to collect a check I can honestly say he's even better than advertised. 93 is another beast,I thought he had a terrific game,we won that trade with Ottawa matter of fact that was a fleecing. 89 is maddening! does he not enjoy shooting the puck? C'mon be selfish SHOOT!!! however when you shoot please put more into it than that poor excuse for a shot on your penalty shot. I knew if we got to a shootout we'd be ok(luckily we won in 3on 3),because Anderson was not very good last night,the only reason I felt we won is because our goaltender outplayed their goaltender

This may have been an important game for us as the rumor around the league is Toronto is looking for a goalie and Anderson did look tired yesterday. Toronto is up against the cap and their options are limited so this was their opportunity to take a look at Georgiev first hand. The rumor is Toronto has made Bracco, Tymechov, and Harpur. None of the 3 are prospects as they are 22, 23, & 24 and in the minors so for me there’s got to be a pick attached. But Bracco is the kid I’d be interested in he’s from Long Island, is righthanded, plays a north-south game, isn’t afraid to go to the corners and an agitator ( this of course is according to various web sites).

At this point I would just wait out Lias. There’s no point is forcing a trade if you’re not gonna get value. He either sits or he comes back to play. I’m really surprised by this, his dad and uncle have played professionally and should have done a better job of giving him advise.

On Saturday night Sportsnet NHL insider Elliotte Friedman revealed that at least four NHL teams are currently interested in acquiring Chris Kreider from the New York Rangers. t Friedman noted that after Taylor Hall was traded the big name out there is Kreider and, “All the contenders from Colorado to Boston to St. Louis to Pittsburgh are all believed to be interested in him.”
    What’s interesting here is that Friedman also added, “Teams don’t believe right now that the Rangers have made [Kreider] available,” and that there might be interest by the organization in re-signing him. As it is now, they know there’s interest should they choose to move him.
    Last edited by Mr.Wiskers; 12-29-2019 at 07:54 PM.

Would love to sit in on the Front Office meetings with J. Davidson, J. Gorton, & co just to listen to what they're thinking right now...

The Rangers are definitely a possibility to make the Playoffs BUT....what will that do other than, a brief "Hurrah! We made the playoffs!"

The Rangers are a great organization but also a snakebit organization. They make the Playoffs but they always fall short of the Stanley Cup, which is why they have won ONE Cup over the last 78 seasons.

Hence I am hoping Gorton & JD trade Kreider at the trade deadline. Let his value build. I also say, trade Strome. Keep Lemieux. Keep deAngelo unless the prospect is too good to pass up.

I firmly believe this franchise is headed in the right direction. It's just a matter of time before Kravstov and K'Andre Miller make their presence known. Igor Shesterkin is Dominik Hasek clone...he looks FILTHY good.

What a near total disaster on New Year's Eve. Rangers fall behind 1-6 to the Oilers after 2 periods. Rangers rally after putting Henrik in goal but come up short. Did the Rangers forget Neal got a hat trick against the Rangers before? Ugh...

Rangers finished December 6-8.

Now I'm convinced they'll be sellers. Goodbye Kreider, Strome, and Fast. Rangers need more talent and cap space. It's getting better Ranger fans, just takes a little longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Detfink View Post
    What a near total disaster on New Year's Eve. Rangers fall behind 1-6 to the Oilers after 2 periods. Rangers rally after putting Henrik in goal but come up short. Did the Rangers forget Neal got a hat trick against the Rangers before? Ugh...

Now I'm convinced they'll be sellers. Goodbye Kreider, Strome, and Fast. Rangers need more talent and cap space. It's getting better Ranger fans, just takes a little longer.
    I dont think Strome or Fast are going anywhere. Strome has unreal chemistry with Panarin and creates a second line for us. Fast should be cheap enough to keep and a great guy for the 3rd/4th line. Kreider I believe will price himself outta here.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Detfink View Post

That’s awfully reactionary. This game should have surprised no one. This is exactly the type of team they are. Their defense bleeds scoring opportunities, and as good as the goalies have been, your going to have a game like this, where they can’t keep the dam from busting open. Conversely they have a group of forwards that can pop in 5 goals over the course of a 20 minute period. They’re streaky and inconsistent. We expected this from them. They’ve been this way the entire year. We should continue to expect this until we see a consistent noticeable change.

As for the deadline, it should be business as it’s been for the last two years. The team is still building. Kreider is almost certainly gone regardless of the rumors of a possible extension.

Strome is 50/50. He’s having a very impressive year for sure. That being said this is an opportunity to sell high on a guy who needs to be glued to Panarin to be able to produce anywhere near what he’s doing right now, and that doesn’t give you much flexibility moving forward. The best course of action I think would be to let another team be the one to pay him like a 70+ point center. You are going to have to pay him eventually even if his next deal is of the one year show me again variety. If you don’t like what Kreider is rumored to be in line for, you’re not going to like Strome’s asking price as a younger more productive player at a more important position. They could ultimately do what they did with Hayes, but that would push an even tougher decision off until next year when theoretically they should be able to compete.

Not sure about Fast either. On one hand, he’s a very useful player, shouldn’t be too much to retain in terms of cap hit or term, and he’s a leader in the locker room. On the other hand, he just turned 28 (which isn’t old, but he could very well start to decline at some point during his next contract) and every thing he does is very replaceable. If they can get a mid round pick for him, and let a younger player fill his role, that would be absolutely fine. As long as they don’t go beyond 4 years at MAX $2.5M, that’s fine.

I’d be interested to see if they’ve created enough interest in Smith as a utility guy to be able to move him. Doubt it, but I can’t say I’d be too surprised if a team took him for half his salary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely any Ranger fan has the right to be pissed off that the Rangers jobbed worse than the introduction of the Shockmaster by Sting!

After a no show against Philly, the Rangers beat Carolina and then go into Toronto and beat the Leafs. That's two teams they had no business defeating. They head to Edmonton against a team that was TWO and SEVEN....5 out of those 7 losses, the Oilers couldn't score more than 2 goals.

The 1st period wasn't over yet and the defense had given Oilers 3 goal lead. Then they tried the "Montreal rally" but it fell short this time. Ok, fine. They jobbed.

Then they come out flat TWO more times against Calgary and Vancouver.

That's it. They're done. EVERY midseason, the Rangers are above .500 going into the All-Star Break before the annual sell-off. This is the THIRD consecutive year. With Panarin and Trouba, this team is marginally better. Now, be fair. They have a lot of kids playing. One wonders, how much longer? Next season, they'll call up K'Andre Miller and Kravtsov who will need at least TWO seasons or more to mature. This is assuming Kakko, Chytil, Hajek can raise their game and become 1st and/or second liners.

This is why I'd rather trade for prospects than draft picks. Prospects are a little closer to being NHL ready. The Rangers kind of need guys who can fill in sooner rather than later.

Yes, Strome and Kreider need to go. They have good value. With Shattenkirk's buyout, the Rangers are razor thin on cap space. Don't forget deAngelo will have a major raise.

Jesper Fast is a no-brainer. This guy never had more than 13 goals in a season. After 6 full seasons, he's basically Jimmy Vesey level of production. Rangers have a first line (time to start playing Kakko with the 1st line) and now, they need to work on that second line.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234