Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    In 04 Culpepper led the league in yards. His 39 TDs were t-5th all time as of that year (including Peytonís bigger total that year).

His 2.0 INT%, for comparison, is below Peytonís career 2.7 and comparable to Bradyís 1.8.

Just looking at raw data itís not really unfathomable to say he had one of the greatest statistical seasons of all time. I think we all know it was an outlier season and probably influenced by a strong supporting cast but from a raw data perspective it was an exceptional season I think.
    He also picked up 478 rush yards that season if you count playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by manbearchef View Post
    Anyone who watched that season could see he was playing with crazy talent. I like Culpepper, but even as a kid watching that season I knew it was all about his receivers. Just looking at stats, one day there will be people thinking Kirk Cousins was a top 5 QB when he was with Washington.
    In the 3 games that Moss missed in 2004, Culpepper posted 831 pass yards, 7/2 TD to INT ratio and a QB Rate of 105 pretty much on par with the 13 games he played with Moss. Even with Culpepper as the Vikes 2nd leading rusher that year, they were 18th in the league in rushing. Only two other teammates made the pro bowl that year, C Matt Birk and DT Kevin Williams. No all pro offensive players. Please explain the "crazy talent"?

Kirk Cousins hasn't had anywhere near the season Culpepper had in 2004. League-wide passing TD's are up 15-20% from 2004, Cousins never even broke the 30 TD mark in Washington.

Quote Originally Posted by QB_Eagles View Post
    Do you still give Dak only half the "plays in dome conditions" penalty because Cowboys stadium has a retractable roof?
    I deducted 3% for players like Prescott/Romo/Carson Palmer in Arizona -- players that played in retractable roof stadiums.

Quote Originally Posted by Lionel20 View Post
    I deducted 3% for players like Prescott/Romo/Carson Palmer in Arizona -- players that played in retractable roof stadiums.
    But they never play in bad weather at home.

But they never play in bad weather at home.
    True -- relatively speaking.

Teams with retractable roofs keep them closed 60% of the time. I read somewhere that the Texans policy is to keep it closed when the weather is sub 50 degrees. Playing in 50-55 degree weather with wind, however often this happens in a retractable stadium, is different that playing all eight home games in the Superdome where the conditions are 100% controlled.

The other factor I was looking into the other day was whether or not there is any performance benefit for QB/WR that play on artificial turf as opposed to natural grass or some hybrid surface. It does seem that there is a positive correlation with winning at home and playing on artificial turf, but I'm not sure to what degree the playing surface influences QB performance. Most of the teams with artificial turf play indoors anyway, with the exception of the Patriots and Ravens.

remember when this guy was editing his metrics to keep Kaepernick ahead of luck
    Quote Originally Posted by NormSizedMidget View Post
    It's different now than it was.

When he won the second one, Giants fans are here we're outside of their minds.
    That quote always cracks me up.

Quote Originally Posted by manbearchef View Post
    Hes got the only two traits you typically look for. The fact that Culpepper is your 6th best QB season of all time should tell anyone this is a trash metric.
    If you were just looking at the stats and not the name, you wouldn't say that.
    He had an above average run game behind him, above average receivers, and was a big mobile QB himself....the fact that didn't all continue once he blew out a knee takes nothing away from that year.
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

Quote Originally Posted by Lionel20 View Post
    He also picked up 478 rush yards that season if you count playoffs.
    Why would you count playoffs? That's not fair to the 20 QBs who don't get into the postseason.

Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    Why would you count playoffs? That's not fair to the 20 QBs who don't get into the postseason.
    This ones kind of interesting now that I think about it.

Playoff games are real games that happen. If you play well, you deserve credit for that and conversely you should be docked for playing poorly. I think itís fair game to factor in playoff performance when talking greatest season.

We really make similar comparisons all the time with injured players. None of us would have a problem saying a guy who played 13 games vs 15 was better. So if both players play 15 reg season games but one plays an extra 2 playoff games why canít we do the same analysis? That way the guy in the playoffs gets credit/blame for his performance in those games that actually happened.

NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    If you were just looking at the stats and not the name, you wouldn't say that.
    He had an above average run game behind him, above average receivers, and was a big mobile QB himself....the fact that didn't all continue once he blew out a knee takes nothing away from that year.
    Here's player B with 5038 yards, 41 TDs, and 16 INTs. I assume if only looking at his stats he should have a very highly rated season, yet we all know this is Matthew Stafford and we know not all stats are equal.

I'm not ******** on Culpepper at all, I really liked him. Hell, I was one of the few who didn't laugh when Miami signed him. But in no way do I view his season as top 6 all time.

BuT mUh 60% cOmPlEtion

14/23 for 105 yards and a TD. But because the most important part of the QB position is to run the ball, this is one of the best games a QB has ever had probably.
    Reading the NFL rule book like:

Quote Originally Posted by IHateTheSkins View Post
    14/23 for 105 yards and a TD. But because the most important part of the QB position is to run the ball, this is one of the best games a QB has ever had probably.
    Gotta wonder why isn't every QB running since it's so easy.

Gotta wonder why isn't every QB running since it's so easy.
    I'm not one to **** on dual threat production, but that's honestly not what Lamar typically is. He's a runner. Fun as hell to watch, but if they don't start developing him he's going to regress big time in 1-2 years when the OL and gimmicky offense isn't there. Yards are yards, production is production, but Lamar was shut down for 3 quarters today. In the first quarter/first 3 drives, he had 53 rush yards, 37 pass yards, and 2 total TDs. He finished the rest of the game with ~100 total yards, 0 TDs, and a FL.

A lot of us on PSD rag on Wilson for playing and winning the exact same style of football that Lamar is doing most weeks.

BuT mUh 60% cOmPlEtion

I like Lamar a lot more than Flacco.

Coming soon to a WWE Ring near you!

Quote Originally Posted by BSF101 View Post
    I like Lamar a lot more than Flacco.
    Joe Flacco's mom likes Lamar a lot more than Flacco.

BuT mUh 60% cOmPlEtion

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast