Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast
Results 286 to 300 of 314
  1. #286
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    10,963
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Imagine the raptors traded for embiid. Rumors he might be shopped eventually.
    Bring on giannis and oladipo to go with chewibaka and siakam then **** the league.
    Funny that Ibaka might be the best shooter out of that bunch though lol.

  2. #287
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    1,190
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    I keep hearing that narrative but I donít really agree. They have a lot of shooters.
    Everyone hits the 3 except simmonds. If itís even possible to build a championship team with 1 player on the court who cannot shoot 3ís anymore... then they should be able to do it. They have the pieces defensively, veteran leadership, money to spend...

    Iím personally starting to shift the blame (and I hate to do it to the guy) to Brett Brown. Itís almost like when they started trying to win, they stopped developing all together.
    They have players that shoot 3s but nobody is great at it. In fact many are quite mediocre. The league average for the NBA has been around 36% for the past couple of seasons. Harris is average. Richardson is below average at 33%. Joel at 33%. Al Hoford at 32.6%. Career wise, none of these guys have really excelled at the 3. None of them really bring the same gravity that Reddick brought.

    Korkmanz is the only guy shooting above average on volume and he's on a last chance min contract.

    If you're going to have two non shooters as your cornerstones, that's a pathetic shooting cast for a team hoping to make a splash.
    Last edited by ecart; 02-10-2020 at 08:47 PM.

  3. #288
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    10,963
    Quote Originally Posted by ecart View Post
    They have players that shoot 3s but nobody is great at it. In fact many are quite mediocre. The league average for the NBA has been around 36% for the past couple of seasons. Harris is average. Richardson is below average at 33%. Joel at 33%. Al Hoford at 32.6%. Career wise, none of these guys have really excelled at the 3. None of them really bring the same gravity that Reddick brought.

    Korkmanz is the only guy shooting above average on volume and he's on a last chance min contract.

    If you're going to have two non shooters as your cornerstones, that's a pathetic shooting cast for a team hoping to make a splash.
    I think all those guys can shoot just fine. The coaching staff needs to put them in a position to succeed.

  4. #289
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    1,190
    If they were fine Brown wouldn't be so desperate to let Furkan jack up shots all day long. Lmfao no amount of coaching is going to get a bunch of guys with average to below average shooting percentages to suddenly shoot at an elite level.

    When we played the Sixers we kept gambling and sagged off their shooters. You think we would have the balls to do that if it was JJ instead of Tobias Harris? Hell no.

    Replace Brown with another coach and the first thing they're going to do is get more shooters. Same **** that Coach Bud did.
    Last edited by ecart; 02-11-2020 at 01:05 AM.

  5. #290
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    10,963
    Quote Originally Posted by ecart View Post
    If they were fine Brown wouldn't be so desperate to let Furkan jack up shots all day long. Lmfao no amount of coaching is going to get a bunch of guys with average to below average shooting percentages to suddenly shoot at an elite level.

    When we played the Sixers we kept gambling and sagged off their shooters. You think we would have the balls to do that if it was JJ instead of Tobias Harris? Hell no.

    Replace Brown with another coach and the first thing they're going to do is get more shooters. Same **** that Coach Bud did.
    Yeah I dunno dude. Imo Tobias is a great 3p shooter in this league and so is JRich and Horford. The drop in their percentages since joining the 6ers speaks to the game plan and coaching imo.

    Itís like everyone feels bad for brown because he coached the 6ers when they were the worst team ever constructed. I donít feel bad for him. He chose that job and made a ton of money doing it.

    His teams have struggled every year (Compared to expectations) and his players often cause issues and act immaturely. Obviously the players get most of the blame but I do not see brown holding anyone accountable.

    Also - thatís our Defensive game plan. Prevent penetration with switches and help, and force the opposition into contested 3ís. Open 3ís are good value, but contested 3ís percentages are low AF.

  6. #291
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    1,190
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Yeah I dunno dude. Imo Tobias is a great 3p shooter in this league and so is JRich and Horford. The drop in their percentages since joining the 6ers speaks to the game plan and coaching imo.
    lol how is Harris a great 3pt shooter? His career average is 36%, that's the league average. JR and Al both had one season where they shot great and way below the league average for the rest. There isn't a single contending team out there that has such janky perimeter shooting, never mind trying to carry Ben and Embiid's spacing.

    If you have two guys that can't shoot the 3, you can't hope to carry their lack of spacing with a bunch of average shooters. There isn't a single team that has reached the conference finals without some type of sniper on their team or multiple above average shooters on their team. That's just baseline without factoring in all the kinks of Simmons and Embiid.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Itís like everyone feels bad for brown because he coached the 6ers when they were the worst team ever constructed. I donít feel bad for him. He chose that job and made a ton of money doing it.

    His teams have struggled every year (Compared to expectations) and his players often cause issues and act immaturely. Obviously the players get most of the blame but I do not see brown holding anyone accountable.
    I'm not saying Brown is the best coach ever but their roster is constructed like ****. You have a bunch of guys who only play well open court and you're trying to pair them with your half court franchise star, that's poor design.

    We know from the BCo burner accounts that his prospects were poorly developed. We also know that there was a power struggle in the ownership and that were was immense pressure for immediate success. It all starts from the top.

    Look at the Spurs man. Even Pop can't coach his way out of a steaming pile of garbage. Sometimes the pieces just don't fit together. That's on management.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Also - thatís our Defensive game plan. Prevent penetration with switches and help, and force the opposition into contested 3ís. Open 3ís are good value, but contested 3ís percentages are low AF.
    You read it wrong. I'm saying we were gambling and letting them take uncontested 3s on some possessions. That would never be our game plan if we respected their shooters like when they had JJ last season. That's the type of gravity they need if they want any type of success with Ben and Embiid.
    Last edited by ecart; 02-11-2020 at 04:16 PM.

  7. #292
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    10,963
    Quote Originally Posted by ecart View Post
    lol how is Harris a great 3pt shooter? His career average is 36%, that's the league average. JR and Al both had one season where they shot great and way below the league average for the rest. There isn't a single contending team out there that has such janky perimeter shooting, never mind trying to carry Ben and Embiid's spacing.

    If you have two guys that can't shoot the 3, you can't hope to carry their lack of spacing with a bunch of average shooters. There isn't a single team that has reached the conference finals without some type of sniper on their team or multiple above average shooters on their team. That's just baseline without factoring in all the kinks of Simmons and Embiid.



    I'm not saying Brown is the best coach ever but their roster is constructed like ****. You have a bunch of guys who only play well open court and you're trying to pair them with your half court franchise star, that's poor design.

    We know from the BCo burner accounts that his prospects were poorly developed. We also know that there was a power struggle in the ownership and that were was immense pressure for immediate success. It all starts from the top.

    Look at the Spurs man. Even Pop can't coach his way out of a steaming pile of garbage. Sometimes the pieces just don't fit together. That's on management.



    You read it wrong. I'm saying we were gambling and letting them take uncontested 3s on some possessions. That would never be our game plan if we respected their shooters like when they had JJ last season. That's the type of gravity they need if they want any type of success with Ben and Embiid.
    I donít totally disagree with anything here, but I still think brown is doing a very ****** job of coaching. Pop or nurse would squeeze a lot more out of that roster. An argument could be made that both of those coaches are already doing more with less on their current teams.

    Also Harris has had many seasons where he shot over or around .400 from 3. Both jrich and alhor shot very respectable percentages from 3 before coming to the 6ers.

    Think about it - every one of these guysí 3p% have gone down Drastically since joining the 6ers. They were good/decent/great shooters elsewhere, and poor shooters on the 6ers.
    I think they are a much better team if they have a good coach.

  8. #293
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    The 6
    Posts
    25,243
    any interest in Harkless if he gets bought out? dude was a starter on that Blazer team that went to the conference finals last year.. solid defender.

  9. #294
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    10,963
    Quote Originally Posted by smith&wesson View Post
    any interest in Harkless if he gets bought out? dude was a starter on that Blazer team that went to the conference finals last year.. solid defender.
    Itís tempting.
    Not even sure why he would be bought out, heís a contributer. He would have started at C last night.
    Would he be ok joining a team and sitting the whole game on some nights?

    I donít think Masai is going to **** with the chemistry on this team so Iím not expecting any additions.

  10. #295
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    1,190
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    I donít totally disagree with anything here, but I still think brown is doing a very ****** job of coaching. Pop or nurse would squeeze a lot more out of that roster. An argument could be made that both of those coaches are already doing more with less on their current teams.

    Also Harris has had many seasons where he shot over or around .400 from 3. Both jrich and alhor shot very respectable percentages from 3 before coming to the 6ers.

    Think about it - every one of these guysí 3p% have gone down Drastically since joining the 6ers. They were good/decent/great shooters elsewhere, and poor shooters on the 6ers.
    I think they are a much better team if they have a good coach.
    That's because they're not great shooters. They've been up and down their whole careers. A guy like Al Horford can't shoot with pressure on him. He needs other guys to open the floor for him. He left a team where all the guards and forwards were more or less shooting better than 38% from the 3. He was practically shooting uncontested 3s on big guys who don't know how to defend the perimeter. Tobias needs to dribble and get in rhythm. **** like that ruins your spacing because it gives the defense more time to react.

    You can't add guys like that to mix and expect them to have career shooting seasons. Those guys need to be on uncomplicated teams where you don't have to worry about providing spacing to excel. Guys like Simmons need guys who can shoot from anywhere without question like the Lebron/Dwight teams. Embiid needs a pick and roll artist like Harden not a limited offensive player like Josh or Ben.

  11. #296
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    10,963
    Quote Originally Posted by ecart View Post
    That's because they're not great shooters. They've been up and down their whole careers. A guy like Al Horford can't shoot with pressure on him. He needs other guys to open the floor for him. He left a team where all the guards and forwards were more or less shooting better than 38% from the 3. He was practically shooting uncontested 3s on big guys who don't know how to defend the perimeter. Tobias needs to dribble and get in rhythm. **** like that ruins your spacing because it gives the defense more time to react.

    You can't add guys like that to mix and expect them to have career shooting seasons. Those guys need to be on uncomplicated teams where you don't have to worry about providing spacing to excel. Guys like Simmons need guys who can shoot from anywhere without question like the Lebron/Dwight teams. Embiid needs a pick and roll artist like Harden not a limited offensive player like Josh or Ben.
    So you donít think they would be any better with pop or nurse coaching them?

    Do you think klay Thompsonís shooting percentages would go down on that team playing they way their coach is getting/letting them play? I definitely think they would go down and heís a ďgreatĒ shooter. I would also bet that all of these guyí shooting percentages would increase dramatically in a Kerr offensive system.

    Why did jrichís percentages drop so drastically? The heat werenít loaded with shooters.




    Iím not saying the roster is perfectly constructed, but I could argue that they are a simmonds 3shot away from being very well constructed. There is a lot of talent on that roster, they need a coach who can utilize the pieces effectively.

  12. #297
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    1,190
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    So you donít think they would be any better with pop or nurse coaching them?

    Do you think klay Thompsonís shooting percentages would go down on that team playing they way their coach is getting/letting them play? I definitely think they would go down and heís a ďgreatĒ shooter. I would also bet that all of these guyí shooting percentages would increase dramatically in a Kerr offensive system.

    Why did jrichís percentages drop so drastically? The heat werenít loaded with shooters.
    No, it's just a bad fit. It would be okay if you had one of Simmons or Embiid, but with two the spacing is just atrocious. There's nothing you can really do to open shots up. Guys like Klay and JJ don't need much to get their shot off, so they fit in better. Klay would feast on Philly just like JJ did.

    JRich has been up and down his whole career so it's not a drastic drop. He is also asked to do more on Philly because Simmons isn't a threat in the half court. So JRich has to run their half court sets. That's not where he excels.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Iím not saying the roster is perfectly constructed, but I could argue that they are a simmonds 3shot away from being very well constructed. There is a lot of talent on that roster, they need a coach who can utilize the pieces effectively.
    That's what I'm saying. They knew Simmons couldn't shoot for ****. They needed to bring in more shooters to maximize his abilities.

  13. #298
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    10,963
    Quote Originally Posted by ecart View Post
    No, it's just a bad fit. It would be okay if you had one of Simmons or Embiid, but with two the spacing is just atrocious. There's nothing you can really do to open shots up. Guys like Klay and JJ don't need much to get their shot off, so they fit in better. Klay would feast on Philly just like JJ did.

    JRich has been up and down his whole career so it's not a drastic drop. He is also asked to do more on Philly because Simmons isn't a threat in the half court. So JRich has to run their half court sets. That's not where he excels.



    That's what I'm saying. They knew Simmons couldn't shoot for ****. They needed to bring in more shooters to maximize his abilities.
    Yeah man Iím not disagreeing with you, Iím saying brown is a huge part of the problem.

  14. #299
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    1,190
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Yeah man Iím not disagreeing with you, Iím saying brown is a huge part of the problem.
    I don't think a coaching change will help that much. You're asking a lot from a coach. I don't think anyone can live up to that.

  15. #300
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    25,951
    I see Embiid and Simmons much the same way I see Aldridge and Derozan. The interplay between these duos seems to be such that they can be very productive for themselves but the players around them seem to be the ones who struggle. Which can make it very difficult to determine what blame to place on the coaching. Spurs fans seem to think Popovic for example has lost his marbles but I'm not so sure. Same with Brown, is he bad or is it just easy to point at the coach when he is forced to accommodate or compensate for poor or unconventional fit?
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

    but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •