Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    You quoted where I said what it is.
    The most cash a team can get for a 1st rounder is 5 mil. Thatís nothing for Rogers, but could be a lot for some other owners (Phoenix, timberwolves maybe?)
    I know, but someone had said buying multiple picks. That's what I meant by the imitation.

i hate this saying because I find it vacuous but as people like to point out it's a business at the end of the day. just because they can doesn't mean they want to. especially as publicly traded companies, there are limits to Bell and Rogers' "generosity". Masai and Webster are great at managing the team's assets so we often don't notice but it is obvious we're not the type of team that just throws money around with reckless abandon.
    Last edited by ecart; 08-04-2020 at 01:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ecart View Post
    i hate this saying because I find it vacuous but as people like to point out it's a business at the end of the day. just because they can doesn't mean they want to. especially as publicly traded companies, there are limits to Bell and Rogers' "generosity". Masai and Webster are great at managing the team's assets so we often don't notice but it is obvious we're not the type of team that just throws money around with reckless abandon.
    Youíre definitely correct. However, the raps have made a ton$ on merch over the last year so Iím optimistic they can free up some money to buy a pick if itís available. Thereís a lot of evidence that Masai can turn a draft pick into a major piece of the team no matter where the pick falls, so the risk of buying one is reduced.

Youíre definitely correct. However, the raps have made a ton$ on merch over the last year so Iím optimistic they can free up some money to buy a pick if itís available. Thereís a lot of evidence that Masai can turn a draft pick into a major piece of the team no matter where the pick falls, so the risk of buying one is reduced.
    Are we the best run team in the league at this point?

Quote Originally Posted by mike_noodles View Post
    Are we the best run team in the league at this point?
    Imo we have taken that mantle from the spurs.

Imo we have taken that mantle from the spurs.
    Me too, in spite of all the complaining I did about Masai's lack of taking a bold step (this was going back a few years). It's so nice for us.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...every-nba-team

The Trade: Fred VanVleet (sign-and-trade) to Pacers for Victor Oladipo

The Raptors have carefully managed their capóall in preparation of an ambitious run at Giannis Antetokounmpo in 2021óto the point they don't have many big contracts to throw around in a blockbuster. Pascal Siakam is going nowhere, Kyle Lowry is approaching the final year of his pact, and Norman Powell isn't netting them a difference-maker.

So, a sign-and-swap with VanVleet must suffice, and it might pique the Pacers' interest as their best option for moving on without Oladipo. Having VanVleet and Malcolm Brogdon in the same backcourt creates major versatility at both ends of the court, and each is a sharp enough shooter to increase the potency of Domantas Sabonis' passing.

Rather than paying VanVleet, Toronto takes a one-year flier on Oladipo to remain in championship contention and maintain maximum flexibility for what it hopes can be a transformational offseason. Assuming the Raptors have already budgeted for a new deal with VanVleet, this could actually increase the Raptors' buying power and maybe gets them an in with Oladipo, who wouldn't be a bad consolation prize if Antetokounmpo declines a trip north of the border

The Raptors have carefully managed their capóall in preparation of an ambitious run at Giannis Antetokounmpo in 2021óto the point they don't have many big contracts to throw around in a blockbuster. Pascal Siakam is going nowhere, Kyle Lowry is approaching the final year of his pact, and Norman Powell isn't netting them a difference-maker.

So, a sign-and-swap with VanVleet must suffice, and it might pique the Pacers' interest as their best option for moving on without Oladipo. Having VanVleet and Malcolm Brogdon in the same backcourt creates major versatility at both ends of the court, and each is a sharp enough shooter to increase the potency of Domantas Sabonis' passing.

Rather than paying VanVleet, Toronto takes a one-year flier on Oladipo to remain in championship contention and maintain maximum flexibility for what it hopes can be a transformational offseason. Assuming the Raptors have already budgeted for a new deal with VanVleet, this could actually increase the Raptors' buying power and maybe gets them an in with Oladipo, who wouldn't be a bad consolation prize if Antetokounmpo declines a trip north of the border
    It makes sense to me, and would allow us to keep a lot of the team together while pursuing giannis. Although I would like to see a FVV, giannis, siakam team in a perfect world - I think that dream involves losing almost everyone else.

I think it would be a mistake to give FVV a huge contract. He is great but he can't be your starting PG on a championship team especially when teams are just overloading on wings 1 through 5.

I trust Masai. Masai should flex his African connections, why stop at Giannis, get Embiid as well.
    Last edited by ecart; 09-03-2020 at 06:40 PM.

Love it

Oladipo/Siakam and then you make a run at Giannis

Quote Originally Posted by ecart View Post
    I think it would be a mistake to give FVV a huge contract. He is great but he can't be your starting PG on a championship team especially when teams are just overloading on wings 1 through 5.

I trust Masai. Masai should flex his African connections, why stop at Giannis, get Embiid as well.
    100 percent agree and take it further, you cant win a ship with him as ur 2 either

Quote Originally Posted by smith&wesson View Post
    100 percent agree and take it further, you cant win a ship with him as ur 2 either
    I agree. I love Fred, we all do I think. But you can't give up a max contract to him. Just too much money tied up that way. I love the idea of an S&T.

Tbh I hope this ages terribly.

Tbh I hope this ages terribly.
    Realistically bro FVV is smaller than Lowry. Hes a pg. He plays sg out of neccesity.

Look how much size he gives up to Smart. Smart is only 6'3 but plays bigger than his size and hes a smaller sg. When teams put out 6'6 sgs its a mismatch

I love FVV. I have no issues with him coming back but like Noodles said if we max him out were going to handicap ourselves moving fwd. If he does come back I hope its on a reasonable contract. But I think the Knicks are desperate for a pg and FVV will be the best one available. Wouldnt suprise me if they threw the max at him

Realistically bro FVV is smaller than Lowry. Hes a pg. He plays sg out of neccesity.

Look how much size he gives up to Smart. Smart is only 6'3 but plays bigger than his size and hes a smaller sg. When teams put out 6'6 sgs its a mismatch

I love FVV. I have no issues with him coming back but like Noodles said if we max him out were going to handicap ourselves moving fwd. If he does come back I hope its on a reasonable contract. But I think the Knicks are desperate for a pg and FVV will be the best one available. Wouldnt suprise me if they threw the max at him
    Oh I completely see where youíre coming from, but I hope you end up having to eat those words lol. I donít disagree with anything youíre saying, except that signing him to full time starter PG duties means we wonít win a ship while heís here. We won with Lowry at PG, and with FVV playing most of the SG minutes. If FVV is our starting PG I donít think it caps our possible success.

Iím leaning more toward a sign and trade for oladipo if possible though. If possible, I think it sets us up nicely moving forward.

Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast