Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hall Of Fame Debate

I was listening to some chatter about the upcoming Hall of Fame voting and I cannot explain how certain guys are in and certain guys arenít based on precedent.

(Let me first disclaim that I believe the HOF is completely watered down and should only be reserved for the best of the best and dominant only according to their era. But this argument is free current reality, not my ideal wishes)

Ok...hereís the rub:

Kirby Puckett is in. He only had 4-5 HOF type years but had an injury and got in mostly due to that career being cut short.

If thatís the case, and it is, I believe that Don Mattingly should be in. He had 5-6 HOF years and was widely regarded as the best player in the game. Injuries cut his career short as well. Donnie was dominant and won an MVP and was the best defensive player in the game.

Thurman Munson won ROY, MVP and 2 titles. He died in his prime. He was a top 3-4 catcher in his era.

Carlton Fisk played 24 years. He had maybe 6-7 HOF years. Heís in. He never won anything.

Donnie has been screwed if Kirby is in. Thurman is screwed twice....he didnít get the bias Kirby did and he didnít get the recognition Fisk did.

When guys like the above players plus the Biggio, Baines types are in......I think that is a disservice to guys who are similar (or had similar circumstances) or better that should be in.

Thoughts?
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Donnie is getting shafted. His numbers and his glove should have had him in long ago

The fact that Fisk played 24 years is part of why he's in. His numbers are where they are because of that but his numbers are insane for a catcher. 2500+ hits? A lifetime 270 average? That's some good shite.

With that said Munson had over 1500 hits and a 292 Avg in less than half the time, so I have no idea why he isn't in

Biggio is in the 3000 club. That's an automatic

I agree that it's watered down. But I also think guys who break a record, get in. Guys who hit certain numbers, get in.

Now that the game is changing, this expectations will become lower and lower.

**** off. Where's my title

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    Donnie is getting shafted. His numbers and his glove should have had him in long ago

The fact that Fisk played 24 years is part of why he's in. His numbers are where they are because of that but his numbers are insane for a catcher. 2500+ hits? A lifetime 270 average? That's some good shite.

With that said Munson had over 1500 hits and a 292 Avg in less than half the time, so I have no idea why he isn't in

Biggio is in the 3000 club. That's an automatic

I agree that it's watered down. But I also think guys who break a record, get in. Guys who hit certain numbers, get in.

Now that the game is changing, this expectations will become lower and lower.
    Yep. If Kirby is in.....no reason why Donnie and Thurman are not.
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

Harold Baines might be the biggest joke in the hall

Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    Harold Baines might be the biggest joke in the hall
    100%. Ridiculous.
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

Agree to all the above, Donnie and Thurman s.b in and Baines is a joke. With Baines in, can Gene Michael be far behind? ROTFLMAO

I do truly believe that Jake should get in the HOF. He deserves it.

Imo they need to amend the HOF to somehow include the players from the PED era. It was so rampant throughout the league that I don't believe u can just discount those players and act like they never played. On your normal 25 man roster I would say on the low side atleast 20 of those player used PEDs at 1 time or another.

I dont think u can have a true HOF when guys like Bonds Arod and Clemens aren't recognized as being so of the best ever.

Now instead of letting players use PEDs and get longer, healthier and more productive careers their winding the baseball so tight it's almost like hitting a golf ball to get the same results HRs.

At a very minimum I wish they would let them use high to help them heal and stay healthy. If they allowed that imagine how many fewer games our players would loss to Injuries.

Sorry to rant I just hate they want these guys to be super human 6 plus months of the yr and don't allow them to use a substance like HGH to stay healthy.

I absolutely do agree that Mattingly and Munson should be in the HOF

Day.....I also think itís silly that they changed the ball these past two years to inflate HR totals and thatís ok for the integrity of the game yet players juicing isnít.

In both cases, they ALL benefitted.

I wonder how much time the added HRs and subsequent celebrations add to the time of the game?
    Along with the added walks because of pitchers getting too nibbly?

I think the irony is a game would move much faster with balls that were tougher to hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    I wonder how much time the added HRs and subsequent celebrations add to the time of the game?
    Along with the added walks because of pitchers getting too nibbly?

I think the irony is a game would move much faster with balls that were tougher to hit.
    I love baseball no matter what but the game is awful now compared to what it was. No way they grab new fans. Thereís no game play. Itís strictly a home run or strikeout derby.

Quote Originally Posted by LeoYankee View Post
    I love baseball no matter what but the game is awful now compared to what it was. No way they grab new fans. Thereís no game play. Itís strictly a home run or strikeout derby.
    Well then the MLB marketing strategy is all wrong! They believe the long ball is what excites fans, particularly the young. From their perspective HR's speed up the game. Video game millennials and younger want action and they want instant gratification. Not suggesting it's the proper direction, only where imo the game is heading.
    ďFarts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.Ē ó Aldous Huxley
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Albert Einstein
    ďNot everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.Ē---- James Baldwin

MLB turned a blind to PED's because it rescued the game. They now juice the ball for essentially the same reason. Their audience is aging and they need to capture new and younger audience.

Both are criminal imo.
    ďFarts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.Ē ó Aldous Huxley
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Albert Einstein
    ďNot everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.Ē---- James Baldwin

Personally, I think players should get in if either (1) they were the best at their craft for 5-7 years, or (2) they were never the best but they were very good for a very long period of time.
    Time to double down on the 'Spects!

Quote Originally Posted by LeoYankee View Post
    I was listening to some chatter about the upcoming Hall of Fame voting and I cannot explain how certain guys are in and certain guys arenít based on precedent.

(Let me first disclaim that I believe the HOF is completely watered down and should only be reserved for the best of the best and dominant only according to their era. But this argument is free current reality, not my ideal wishes)

Ok...hereís the rub:

Kirby Puckett is in. He only had 4-5 HOF type years but had an injury and got in mostly due to that career being cut short.

If thatís the case, and it is, I believe that Don Mattingly should be in. He had 5-6 HOF years and was widely regarded as the best player in the game. Injuries cut his career short as well. Donnie was dominant and won an MVP and was the best defensive player in the game.

Thurman Munson won ROY, MVP and 2 titles. He died in his prime. He was a top 3-4 catcher in his era.

Carlton Fisk played 24 years. He had maybe 6-7 HOF years. Heís in. He never won anything.

Donnie has been screwed if Kirby is in. Thurman is screwed twice....he didnít get the bias Kirby did and he didnít get the recognition Fisk did.

When guys like the above players plus the Biggio, Baines types are in......I think that is a disservice to guys who are similar (or had similar circumstances) or better that should be in.

Thoughts?
    Though Mattingly and Puckett have eerily similar career lines, Puckett is viewed as having overperformed beyond his Ďpaperí potential whereas Mattingly is viewed as a disappointment, post-injury. Mattingly having never lived up to his expected hype will continue to haunt him for a long time.
    THE EMPIRE IS BACK BABY!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast