Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Tigers International Wave Is Coming

I have been very vocal about Avila not going after international talent but it seems we are finally seeing some results from his slow venture into it. I still think more concentration on this area earlier would have sped up the rebuilding process and more concentration on it in the future will help keep us from these long down periods. Here are the top international guys I see coming, unfortunately they are under 20 and will take some time but at least we have progress:

Jose De La Cruz, OF (17)
    Alvaro Gonzalez, SS (18)
    Eliezer Alfonso, C (19)
    Esney Chacon, OF (18)
    Adinso Reyes, SS (17)
    Roberto Campos, OF (17)
    Carlos Mendoza, CF (19)
    Iverson Leonardo, CF (18)
    Yoandy Rea, C (19)
    Christian Calzadilla, C (18)

De La Cruz seems to be the guy that will move up the ladder the fastest but don't count out the three catchers on this list. De LA Cruz has really solid power/speed combo and is an advanced hitter for his age. It will be interesting to see where they put him in the minors this year. Alfonso is a small guy who hits from both sides and that gets on base and hits for average. Rea and Calzadilla are similar with a bit more size but none have much power to speak of at this point. All seem to rate pretty high on defense as well. Mendoza/Leonardo are defensive burners who get on base. Campos will be interesting as big things are expected. Gonzalez, Chacon, and Reyes are pretty solid but need to take the next step at Connecticut next year. All are promising.

Two Pitching Prospects over 20 to Watch:
    Carols Pena, LHP (21)
    Angel Dejesus, RHP (22)

Both are high strike out, low BB pitchers who are succeeding in the minors so far. Dejesus is already at A+ and has some really nice upside. Pena is still in the lower minors and needs to make the jump next year but he is a very talented LHP who could rise quickly. Tigers are using him as a starter but he has some bullpen work in him as well. How he moves forward will be interesting.

So there is this 21 year old Cuban dual threat player (OF/LHP) who was playing in Japan for some reason and has defected. He is now a FA and can be signed with international money. I can't find a list of what teams have left but apparently he falls in this year's budget and most teams have used most of their money. We originally had around $6M to sign players and I am not sure what we spent of it. Hope we held on to some so we can be players on this guy.

His name is Oscar Colas and he throws 95mph from the left side and hit really well (over .300 avg and .370 OB) in Japan this season. I saw this on MLBtraderumors if you want to read up on him.

Quote Originally Posted by hoog View Post
    So there is this 21 year old Cuban dual threat player (OF/LHP) who was playing in Japan for some reason and has defected. He is now a FA and can be signed with international money. I can't find a list of what teams have left but apparently he falls in this year's budget and most teams have used most of their money. We originally had around $6M to sign players and I am not sure what we spent of it. Hope we held on to some so we can be players on this guy.

His name is Oscar Colas and he throws 95mph from the left side and hit really well (over .300 avg and .370 OB) in Japan this season. I saw this on MLBtraderumors if you want to read up on him.
    sounds like a guy we won't sign

sounds like a guy that could help our farm system which is exactly why the Tigers won't attempt to sign him.

Signing him would require us to do it before other teams get reupped with international money and we would have to out smart teams this international period, so......yea we aren't going to get him with our current regime.