Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Rule V draft prospects

In looking at what's out there in the rule V draft and us having the first pick, I compiled the following list for Avila. Hope he likes it.

1. Wandisson Charles, RHP, Oakland (23 years old)- 6’6” 220lbs with power and strike out ability. Can hit triple digits and has improved his control each year. Has closer potential and just seems to be coming into his own. Great power arm coming out of the pen.

2. Brett Cumberland, C, Baltimore (24)- Switch hitting catcher with a very good bat and decent power. His on base percentage is off the charts good. He isn’t the best defensively but good enough and getting better. Great compliment to what we have now at catcher.

3. Ka’ai Tom, OF, Cleveland (25)- a bit older but has a very good left handed bat with power and OB talent. Excellent in the corners but could play CF if needed.

4. Cristian Santana, 1B/3B, LAD (22)- really good power and good average but very low OB and strikes out a lot. Could mature there. Decent to good glove with a huge arm. Only 22 so room to grow into the 3B spot. Can’t be worse than we’ve seen and younger.

5. Resley Linares, LHP, TB (21)- youngest on the list but very good ERA, WHIP, and SO/BB rate. Is currently being used as a starter but if picked would go to the pen. Only at A+ right now so we would almost waste a year in the pen this upcoming season but may pay off.

6. Damingo Acevedo, RHP, Yankees (25)- huge (6’7” 250) with a huge arm. Can hit triple digits but took a step back in progress this year. Very good SO/BB rate and WHIP but ERA took a big hit this year. Needs some work but could be a huge addition down the road.

7. Thomas Burrows, LHP, Atlanta (25)- Sturdy LHP who is MLB ready out of the pen. Hasn’t wow’d anyone yet but holds his own on the left side. Good SO/BB rate and has closer experience out of the pen. Could be a solid to above average LH out of the pen.

8. Chris Gittens, 1B/DH, Yankees (25)- Very big man with power and good OB rate. Had good BA last year but has bounced around from .290 to .210 in past years so inconsistent.

9. Jordan Sheffield, RHP, LAD (24)- Solid pitcher with experience in the pen and at starter. Doesn’t seem to be great at anything but average all around. Has big SO potential but his high BB kind of negate it. Better out of the pen than starter.

10. Jason Vosler, 3B/2B/1B, SD (26)- If he wasn’t older he would be much higher on my list. I think he can play in the MLB and be a pretty solid guy at 3B. He is a good fielder and has some power to go along with his overall good hitting.

11. Hoy Jun Park, 2B/SS, Yankees (23)- very good all around player who lacks power but gets on base, can steal bases, and can play good defense up the middle. More utility guy than starter but hey everyone needs one.

12. Dedgar Jiminez, LHP, Boston (23)- Another big body (6’3” 240) who could be a good arm out of the pen. Currently a starter who throws a lot of innings but other stats are just average. Has some good upside at 23 so might be worth a pick.

Zack Brown is another guy

we're not great at resuscitating careers (outside of JD), but he might be worth a look, or maybe he'd better off with the Astros, "Zack Brown Bang" might be too late...

Brown is interesting but I liked the others a bit more. Might not be a bad bullpen option.

Reviewing our unprotected players, I am really disappointed RHP Wladimir Pinto, Wilkel Hernandez, and Elvin Rodriguez weren't protected. All three are 21 or younger and have really live arms with high ceilings. Why we are keeping them unprotected over the likes of Matt Hall, Tyler Alexander, and the 30 year old Jose Cisnero is beyond me. We are also keeping Brandon Dixon and Ronnie Rodriguez on there which is stupid.

Two others I am afraid of losing who have some upside are Zac Houston (RHP) and Nolan Blackwood (RHP).

Quote Originally Posted by hoog View Post
    Reviewing our unprotected players, I am really disappointed RHP Wladimir Pinto, Wilkel Hernandez, and Elvin Rodriguez weren't protected. All three are 21 or younger and have really live arms with high ceilings. Why we are keeping them unprotected over the likes of Matt Hall, Tyler Alexander, and the 30 year old Jose Cisnero is beyond me. We are also keeping Brandon Dixon and Ronnie Rodriguez on there which is stupid.

Two others I am afraid of losing who have some upside are Zac Houston (RHP) and Nolan Blackwood (RHP).
    but are you worried a team will take those young dudes and keep them on the 25 man roster all season?

I might be misunderstanding the rules but it feels unlikely a team would poach our super young dudes and waste MLB level roster spots just to keep them

Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    but are you worried a team will take those young dudes and keep them on the 25 man roster all season?

I might be misunderstanding the rules but it feels unlikely a team would poach our super young dudes and waste MLB level roster spots just to keep them
    Young guys with good arms are usually the prey for the Rule V draft. One's you can hide in your pen and hope they will hold their own. Bad teams or rebuilding teams are the one's usually taking a guy so it's easier to hide them on the roster all year. Pinto, Hernandez, and Rodriguez all are that kind of pitcher. If they were lefties, I'd really be concerned, because those get taken all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by hoog View Post
    Young guys with good arms are usually the prey for the Rule V draft. One's you can hide in your pen and hope they will hold their own. Bad teams or rebuilding teams are the one's usually taking a guy so it's easier to hide them on the roster all year. Pinto, Hernandez, and Rodriguez all are that kind of pitcher. If they were lefties, I'd really be concerned, because those get taken all the time.
    but we're the bad team lol, we're the team stashing the likes of Victor Reyes and hoping for the best, idunno who else would be worried about nabbing the 19 year olds from a bad team

Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    but we're the bad team lol, we're the team stashing the likes of Victor Reyes and hoping for the best, idunno who else would be worried about nabbing the 19 year olds from a bad team
    Yea, I get that but why risk it when we are so desperate for talent. Pittsburg, Miami, etc.. are other teams that might take a chance so there are other low end teams like us that might steal them. Hopefully, it won't happen but it could and that isn't a risk I would take if I was AA.

Wander Javier is someone I'd look at. Zack Brown would interest me too.