Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hensley Muellens hired as bench coach, Jeremy Hefner as pitching coach

https://twitter.com/Chica_Deportes/s...896678913?s=20

Dude apparently speaks a bunch of different languages and was with the Giants during their crazy run. I like the hire.
    If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumť

Bam Bam Mullens.

Cool to see the former Met back as pitching coach too. I always like Hefner.

Turning this into one big mega thread? Thatís cool but, whereíd the rest of the posts go?

Never mind that though, Iím excited for Hefner to come back to us and that weíre still retaining Regan in a minor league capacity.

Regan seemed like a good guy to go back to the basics and teach mechanical issues rather than go off of what data suggests. I think his tutelage was very valuable and Iím glad to have him back in the system but a guy like Hefner who is of the younger generation and has proven to be versed in analytics while also teaching as a coach in Minnesota. deGrom, Thor, Stroman, Matz, Lugo, etc all know what theyíre doing, a dude like Hefner could help guide these pitchers in a new way via pitch sequencing, certain grips, whatever it is, while also being able to relate to them a little more considering his youth.

I like this coaching staff quite a bit based off what Iíve read but letís see, I said the same thing about Mickey, Eiland, and Riggleman. Chilli has been great, Iím glad to still have him aboard.

One thing that this management has that the previous one lacked is the ability to speak multiple languages. BeltrŠn being bilingual and Muellens knowing like five languages could help with communications and if the Mets do sign a Japanese/Korean starter such as Kwan-Hyun-Kim, Iím sure Muellens could help ease the transition.
    If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumť

^^^I appreciate your dry humor. They were hires based on necessity. Does Muellens mean anything as a bench coach? Eh. I think Hefner has more of an impact but its a matter of what he has that can help the Met's staff.
    Last edited by metswon69; 11-26-2019 at 04:19 PM.

How will his former peers respond to him?

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

I was confusing him with Jeremy Reed, an outfielder who couldn't hit. Hefner was just a pitcher who couldn't pitch.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears Ė but they seem kinda sensible...."

If I remember correctly Hefner basically told his guys to used their best pitch to get guys out and used more often instead of trying to use different pitches to get guys out and confuse them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    If I remember correctly Hefner basically told his guys to used their best pitch to get guys out and used more often instead of trying to use different pitches to get guys out and confuse them.
    Yeah, brilliant. No one ever tbought of that before. Like: "Pitch inside more often." Or "throw strikes." Or "Don't fall behind the hitters."

Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Yeah, brilliant. No one ever tbought of that before. Like: "Pitch inside more often." Or "throw strikes." Or "Don't fall behind the hitters."
    Well I remember guys like the jacket trying to get guys to throw other pitches instead of the ones that got them to the majors. Like telling Pelfrey to throw a slider and scrap his curveball.

Also seems pretty simple but what have we heard over and over through out the years? Mix pitches, change speeds and pitch up and down the zone.

Many times using your second or third best pitch when your best pitch is what needs to be used.

Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    I was confusing him with Jeremy Reed, an outfielder who couldn't hit. Hefner was just a pitcher who couldn't pitch.
    Thatís not true.
    He blew out his elbow and TJ didnít take then he blew out his elbow again.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

June 7, 2004: Drafted by the New York Mets in the 46th round of the 2004 amateur draft, but did not sign.

June 7, 2005: Drafted by the New York Mets in the 48th round of the 2005 amateur draft, but did not sign.

Wilpons seem to like this guy

What's wrong with throwing your best pitch more?

A great major league pitch usually beats a great major league hitter.

Don't worry. He's got this.

Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post

Hitters are getting better at recognizing and adjusting. Itís why I hate long pitch counts, the hitter has seen everything and is ready to tee you up

Itís what makes Degrom amazing, the guy can throw several different pitches in many different locations for a strike at basically anytime in the count.

Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post

Nothing. But it's hardly what I'd call innovative.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast