Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

White Sox Sign Yasmani Grandal 4 Years $73 Million

It's every where on twitter!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good deal, very excited for this. Maybe like 2-3 million higher on the AAV than I thought, but still good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man I don't really like this for the Sox. Historically they aren't big spenders so this is a big contract to pay for 4 years.

Grandal is 31 coming off his best season since his rookie year, in a contract year. I do like him as a player, but at 31, you're paying for peak regression. Especially considering you already have a younger catcher coming off a career year. A younger catcher who was worth over 1 WAR more than Grandal.

He will definitely help the team, just seems like a bad allocation of money for a team with such a bright future. I'm hoping they signed him to move him at the deadline in year 1-2.

McCann clearly regressed in the second half last year. Worse comes to worse, he finishes the last 2 years of that deal at dh. Collins clearly isnít the answer. Now you have McCann as a possible trade chip. The idea that the Sox donít historically spend is no reason to never spend in the future. The White Sox desperately need a change from the small market mentality.

Grandal is great defensively and at pitch framing. Love this signing.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Click here to register!

Hope to see some new posters around here soon.

Funny it only two took posts for the criticism to start, no winning in Chicago sports, ever.

I like the signing, the cost will be negligible by this time next year, the Sox have plenty of money - go get a couple more RH!
    Last edited by Muttman73; 11-21-2019 at 03:17 PM.
    1985 Bears
    2005 White Sox
    2010 Blackhawks
    1991 Bulls

1981 Sting

Quote Originally Posted by Muttman73 View Post
    Funny it only two took posts for the criticism to start, no winning in Chicago sorts, ever.

I like the signing, the cost will be negligible by this time next year, the Sox have plenty of money - go get a couple more RH!
    Haha seriously. This is a breath of fresh air from reading about the Bears, and I had to stumble across some negativity immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by ds637 View Post
    Man I don't really like this for the Sox. Historically they aren't big spenders so this is a big contract to pay for 4 years.

Grandal is 31 coming off his best season since his rookie year, in a contract year. I do like him as a player, but at 31, you're paying for peak regression. Especially considering you already have a younger catcher coming off a career year. A younger catcher who was worth over 1 WAR more than Grandal.

He will definitely help the team, just seems like a bad allocation of money for a team with such a bright future. I'm hoping they signed him to move him at the deadline in year 1-2.
    Compare McCannís post All-Star break with his career stat line.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL...............

Is this a serious post!?!?

I don't think people realize that the White Sox payroll is really low. They are at $90 million right now which is 22nd in baseball.

Grandal is only 1-1/2 years older than McCann.

Grandal is not coming off his "best" year. He has had (2) better fWar seasons. Last year he was at 5.2, in 2015 he had a 5.2 and in 2016 a 5.8. McCann's best ever season was last year at 2.3, so I don't know where you're coming with McCann was better. Grandal is a top 3 offensive/defensive catcher in baseball and McCann is one of the worst defenders.

Anytime you can get one of the top position players at a particular position for only $18.25 million per year you do it. He will not be moved in any trade, he will play out his entire contract here.

McCann had a career year last year, if they were giving him $73M over four years - I'd be a little concerned.
    He will make a great back-up catcher/part time DH

The White Sox have been sitting on their wallet a long time, its time already.
    1985 Bears
    2005 White Sox
    2010 Blackhawks
    1991 Bulls

1981 Sting

Last week Grandal asked for tape on Sox pitchers. A week before he even signed he wanted to work. This is absolutely the kind of guy you want on this team.

Quote Originally Posted by ChiFanKeith View Post
    Last week Grandal asked for tape on Sox pitchers. A week before he even signed he wanted to work. This is absolutely the kind of guy you want on this team.

Right! Complaining about adding Grandal is almost laughable.

Quote Originally Posted by DaSox_05 View Post
    LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL...............

Is this a serious post!?!?

I don't think people realize that the White Sox payroll is really low. They are at $90 million right now which is 22nd in baseball.

Grandal is only 1-1/2 years older than McCann.

Grandal is not coming off his "best" year. He has had (2) better fWar seasons. Last year he was at 5.2, in 2015 he had a 5.2 and in 2016 a 5.8. McCann's best ever season was last year at 2.3, so I don't know where you're coming with McCann was better. Grandal is a top 3 offensive/defensive catcher in baseball and McCann is one of the worst defenders.

Anytime you can get one of the top position players at a particular position for only $18.25 million per year you do it. He will not be moved in any trade, he will play out his entire contract here.
    I don't think you realize that the White Sox have never and likely will never pay near what the top 5 teams in baseball spend on payroll. That's why this is so significant.

Grandal is only 1.5 years older than McCann. Grandall is at the end of his prime for baseball years. McCann is under control at least this year for minimal salary.

Sorry, I was going off basic ESPN war for Grandal. Regardless, you are pointing out seasons in 2015 and 2016 when he was in his literal prime for a baseball player. He is now 31. The White Sox are a team that historically do not spend in the top 5 and rarely top 10. They're paying a player in peak regression years at a position where the average player doesn't produce as long as other because of the positional demands.

I totally agree Grandal is very good player right now. I agree he will help the Sox. I do not agree that given how the organization spends money that this is money well spend in year 2-4. I think the peak years of this rebuild are probably in those years and I think this might hamper them given organizational spending history.

Quote Originally Posted by Muttman73 View Post
    Funny it only two took posts for the criticism to start, no winning in Chicago sports, ever.

I'm a Chicago sports fan. Also a realist. The Sox don't spend like top teams. The cost won't be negligible with this team. This will be 15% of their payroll likely in a best case of them spending. The saving grace, he likely won't regress defensively as fast as he will offensively. I just feel you could add a defensive catcher to supplement McCann and use the money elsewhere on players that aren't 31. Maybe on players that will be successful and worth their salary in years 3-4-5 of the rebuild.

White Sox Sign Yasmani Grandal 4 Years $73 Million

I don't think you realize that the White Sox have never and likely will never pay near what the top 5 teams in baseball spend on payroll. That's why this is so significant.

Grandal is only 1.5 years older than McCann. Grandall is at the end of his prime for baseball years. McCann is under control at least this year for minimal salary.

Sorry, I was going off basic ESPN war for Grandal. Regardless, you are pointing out seasons in 2015 and 2016 when he was in his literal prime for a baseball player. He is now 31. The White Sox are a team that historically do not spend in the top 5 and rarely top 10. They're paying a player in peak regression years at a position where the average player doesn't produce as long as other because of the positional demands.

I totally agree Grandal is very good player right now. I agree he will help the Sox. I do not agree that given how the organization spends money that this is money well spend in year 2-4. I think the peak years of this rebuild are probably in those years and I think this might hamper them given organizational spending history.
    Nobody here expects them to be top 5 in payroll. 5th last year was over 170 million. 10th was about 160. Not sure if you realize how high payrolls have gotten recently.

Even with this move we're in the middle 20s in regards to league spending, with what I'd estimate to have about 30-35 left to spend.

Plus we have 4+ years until our best players will hit FA, giving us plenty of flexibility the next few years. Eloy and TA are locked in cheap and guys like Gio, Yoan, Robert, Madrigal, Cease will be making very little for the duration of any 4 year contracts we give out. Now is 100 % the time for us to be making these moves.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast