Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 41

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Probably at work!
    Posts
    18,848

    White Sox Sign Yasmani Grandal 4 Years $73 Million

    It's every where on twitter!!!!!!!!!!!!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    9,277
    Good deal, very excited for this. Maybe like 2-3 million higher on the AAV than I thought, but still good.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Depaul
    Posts
    2,076
    Man I don't really like this for the Sox. Historically they aren't big spenders so this is a big contract to pay for 4 years.

    Grandal is 31 coming off his best season since his rookie year, in a contract year. I do like him as a player, but at 31, you're paying for peak regression. Especially considering you already have a younger catcher coming off a career year. A younger catcher who was worth over 1 WAR more than Grandal.

    He will definitely help the team, just seems like a bad allocation of money for a team with such a bright future. I'm hoping they signed him to move him at the deadline in year 1-2.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    9,277
    Quote Originally Posted by ds637 View Post
    Man I don't really like this for the Sox. Historically they aren't big spenders so this is a big contract to pay for 4 years.

    Grandal is 31 coming off his best season since his rookie year, in a contract year. I do like him as a player, but at 31, you're paying for peak regression. Especially considering you already have a younger catcher coming off a career year. A younger catcher who was worth over 1 WAR more than Grandal.

    He will definitely help the team, just seems like a bad allocation of money for a team with such a bright future. I'm hoping they signed him to move him at the deadline in year 1-2.
    Compare McCannís post All-Star break with his career stat line.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Probably at work!
    Posts
    18,848
    Quote Originally Posted by ds637 View Post
    Man I don't really like this for the Sox. Historically they aren't big spenders so this is a big contract to pay for 4 years.

    Grandal is 31 coming off his best season since his rookie year, in a contract year. I do like him as a player, but at 31, you're paying for peak regression. Especially considering you already have a younger catcher coming off a career year. A younger catcher who was worth over 1 WAR more than Grandal.

    He will definitely help the team, just seems like a bad allocation of money for a team with such a bright future. I'm hoping they signed him to move him at the deadline in year 1-2.
    LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL...............

    Is this a serious post!?!?

    I don't think people realize that the White Sox payroll is really low. They are at $90 million right now which is 22nd in baseball.

    Grandal is only 1-1/2 years older than McCann.

    Grandal is not coming off his "best" year. He has had (2) better fWar seasons. Last year he was at 5.2, in 2015 he had a 5.2 and in 2016 a 5.8. McCann's best ever season was last year at 2.3, so I don't know where you're coming with McCann was better. Grandal is a top 3 offensive/defensive catcher in baseball and McCann is one of the worst defenders.

    Anytime you can get one of the top position players at a particular position for only $18.25 million per year you do it. He will not be moved in any trade, he will play out his entire contract here.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Depaul
    Posts
    2,076
    Quote Originally Posted by DaSox_05 View Post
    LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL...............

    Is this a serious post!?!?

    I don't think people realize that the White Sox payroll is really low. They are at $90 million right now which is 22nd in baseball.

    Grandal is only 1-1/2 years older than McCann.

    Grandal is not coming off his "best" year. He has had (2) better fWar seasons. Last year he was at 5.2, in 2015 he had a 5.2 and in 2016 a 5.8. McCann's best ever season was last year at 2.3, so I don't know where you're coming with McCann was better. Grandal is a top 3 offensive/defensive catcher in baseball and McCann is one of the worst defenders.

    Anytime you can get one of the top position players at a particular position for only $18.25 million per year you do it. He will not be moved in any trade, he will play out his entire contract here.
    I don't think you realize that the White Sox have never and likely will never pay near what the top 5 teams in baseball spend on payroll. That's why this is so significant.

    Grandal is only 1.5 years older than McCann. Grandall is at the end of his prime for baseball years. McCann is under control at least this year for minimal salary.

    Sorry, I was going off basic ESPN war for Grandal. Regardless, you are pointing out seasons in 2015 and 2016 when he was in his literal prime for a baseball player. He is now 31. The White Sox are a team that historically do not spend in the top 5 and rarely top 10. They're paying a player in peak regression years at a position where the average player doesn't produce as long as other because of the positional demands.

    I totally agree Grandal is very good player right now. I agree he will help the Sox. I do not agree that given how the organization spends money that this is money well spend in year 2-4. I think the peak years of this rebuild are probably in those years and I think this might hamper them given organizational spending history.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    9,277

    White Sox Sign Yasmani Grandal 4 Years $73 Million

    Quote Originally Posted by ds637 View Post
    I don't think you realize that the White Sox have never and likely will never pay near what the top 5 teams in baseball spend on payroll. That's why this is so significant.

    Grandal is only 1.5 years older than McCann. Grandall is at the end of his prime for baseball years. McCann is under control at least this year for minimal salary.

    Sorry, I was going off basic ESPN war for Grandal. Regardless, you are pointing out seasons in 2015 and 2016 when he was in his literal prime for a baseball player. He is now 31. The White Sox are a team that historically do not spend in the top 5 and rarely top 10. They're paying a player in peak regression years at a position where the average player doesn't produce as long as other because of the positional demands.

    I totally agree Grandal is very good player right now. I agree he will help the Sox. I do not agree that given how the organization spends money that this is money well spend in year 2-4. I think the peak years of this rebuild are probably in those years and I think this might hamper them given organizational spending history.
    Nobody here expects them to be top 5 in payroll. 5th last year was over 170 million. 10th was about 160. Not sure if you realize how high payrolls have gotten recently.

    Even with this move we're in the middle 20s in regards to league spending, with what I'd estimate to have about 30-35 left to spend.

    Plus we have 4+ years until our best players will hit FA, giving us plenty of flexibility the next few years. Eloy and TA are locked in cheap and guys like Gio, Yoan, Robert, Madrigal, Cease will be making very little for the duration of any 4 year contracts we give out. Now is 100 % the time for us to be making these moves.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Depaul
    Posts
    2,076
    Quote Originally Posted by Pierzynski4Prez View Post
    Nobody here expects them to be top 5 in payroll. 5th last year was over 170 million. 10th was about 160. Not sure if you realize how high payrolls have gotten recently.

    Even with this move we're in the middle 20s in regards to league spending, with what I'd estimate to have about 30-35 left to spend.

    Plus we have 4+ years until our best players will hit FA, giving us plenty of flexibility the next few years. Eloy and TA are locked in cheap and guys like Gio, Yoan, Robert, Madrigal, Cease will be making very little for the duration of any 4 year contracts we give out


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You're right on those numbers and I understand what teams are paying players now. I also understand that even if the Sox get to the top 10, Grandal will be 10-15% of their salary.

    I also understand that Grandal is 31 coming off a contract year. Regardless of contract year statistics and how prevalent they are, he is 31. He is going to start his decline either this year or next.

    You're acting like the money doesn't matter because the young guys aren't up yet. It does matter man. Once the arbitration hits, even though they are under control, they still make good money for a mid market team.

    Just to reiterate how big of a deal this is..... It's the largest contract in White Sox history.

    I 100% think it will help them next year. I 100% think it will be a burden in years 2-4 when their window is open.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    231
    McCann clearly regressed in the second half last year. Worse comes to worse, he finishes the last 2 years of that deal at dh. Collins clearly isnít the answer. Now you have McCann as a possible trade chip. The idea that the Sox donít historically spend is no reason to never spend in the future. The White Sox desperately need a change from the small market mentality.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    25,134
    Grandal is great defensively and at pitch framing. Love this signing.

    Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

    Click here to register!

    Hope to see some new posters around here soon.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    9,344
    Funny it only two took posts for the criticism to start, no winning in Chicago sports, ever.

    I like the signing, the cost will be negligible by this time next year, the Sox have plenty of money - go get a couple more RH!
    Last edited by Muttman73; 11-21-2019 at 03:17 PM.
    1985 Bears
    2005 White Sox
    2010 Blackhawks
    1991 Bulls

    1981 Sting

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    13,001
    Quote Originally Posted by Muttman73 View Post
    Funny it only two took posts for the criticism to start, no winning in Chicago sorts, ever.

    I like the signing, the cost will be negligible by this time next year, the Sox have plenty of money - go get a couple more RH!
    Haha seriously. This is a breath of fresh air from reading about the Bears, and I had to stumble across some negativity immediately.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Depaul
    Posts
    2,076
    Quote Originally Posted by Muttman73 View Post
    Funny it only two took posts for the criticism to start, no winning in Chicago sports, ever.

    I like the signing, the cost will be negligible by this time next year, the Sox have plenty of money - go get a couple more RH!
    I'm a Chicago sports fan. Also a realist. The Sox don't spend like top teams. The cost won't be negligible with this team. This will be 15% of their payroll likely in a best case of them spending. The saving grace, he likely won't regress defensively as fast as he will offensively. I just feel you could add a defensive catcher to supplement McCann and use the money elsewhere on players that aren't 31. Maybe on players that will be successful and worth their salary in years 3-4-5 of the rebuild.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    9,344
    Quote Originally Posted by ds637 View Post
    I'm a Chicago sports fan. Also a realist. The Sox don't spend like top teams. The cost won't be negligible with this team. This will be 15% of their payroll likely in a best case of them spending. The saving grace, he likely won't regress defensively as fast as he will offensively. I just feel you could add a defensive catcher to supplement McCann and use the money elsewhere on players that aren't 31. Maybe on players that will be successful and worth their salary in years 3-4-5 of the rebuild.
    Next year a catcher with less talent will get paid more, and this deal will look like a bargain, count on it. Everybody here knows how the White Sox spend or mostly don't spend their money so save us all the lecture. McCann had a career half-season, it's 50-50 at best he comes anywhere near those stats in 2020. My point - any you are just the latest to prove it is No matter what move _______ (pick your team) makes a certain segment of the fanbase is going to ***** about it.
    1985 Bears
    2005 White Sox
    2010 Blackhawks
    1991 Bulls

    1981 Sting

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Depaul
    Posts
    2,076
    Quote Originally Posted by Muttman73 View Post
    Next year a catcher with less talent will get paid more, and this deal will look like a bargain, count on it. Everybody here knows how the White Sox spend or mostly don't spend their money so save us all the lecture. McCann had a career half-season, it's 50-50 at best he comes anywhere near those stats in 2020. My point - any you are just the latest to prove it is No matter what move _______ (pick your team) makes a certain segment of the fanbase is going to ***** about it.
    Next year a catcher will get paid more with less talent. You can easily look at catcher contracts and see likely you will be wrong. Teams don't pay that for catchers. Yadier Molina, one of the best catchers in history and basically the face of the Cards yes for a lot of reasons. Buster Posey was on pace to be one of the best historical catchers ever when he got his money. Russel Martin got his money and everyone thought that was an overpay. Then there's Grandal 8 million over the next guy at age 31.

    There's a reason people don't pay catchers, especially old ones. All those contracts look bad now. Molina is injured all the time, same with Posey. Martin was injured and underperformed.

    Yes, no matter the move someone will be annoyed. That is an awful argument. Argue in facts not feelings.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •