Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by ds637 View Post
    I hope it works long term. Just because I am a Cubs fan first, doesn't mean I don't like the Sox.

Think the Cubs screwed up their compete window and are near a point of needing to rebuild. Don't want the same for the Sox. They're my hope for a Chicago team competing for a title in the near future. I think Hahn has been waiting for years and years to finally get his chance to spend and build a team and I believe he is a good executive, while Kenny may be an idiot.

My main point is that, unless Jerry decides not to be a tightass, this isn't how I would use such a significant portion of payroll.
    If you want to talk "TERRIBLE" FA contracts....Please see Theo!!! He's got quite the list!

Quote Originally Posted by ds637 View Post
    I hope it works long term. Just because I am a Cubs fan first, doesn't mean I don't like the Sox.

Think the Cubs screwed up their compete window and are near a point of needing to rebuild. Don't want the same for the Sox. They're my hope for a Chicago team competing for a title in the near future. I think Hahn has been waiting for years and years to finally get his chance to spend and build a team and I believe he is a good executive, while Kenny may be an idiot.

My main point is that, unless Jerry decides not to be a tightass, this isn't how I would use such a significant portion of payroll.
    Again, please look at the Sox payroll from 2005-2013. Jerry has spent money in the past when the team was competing ranking inside the top 5-10 numerous years. The last few years is a different story as this was a clear rebuilding phase.

Why are you so concerned about a 4/73 deal turning out like the cubs? When there has been numerous misses on the north side. This is close to 600 million in contracts???? And you are concerned we are getting in a bad spot with a 73 million dollar deal??

Darvish 6-126
    Heyward 8-184
    Chatwood 3-38
    Kimbrel 3-43

The two below were worth it as they won a title, but letís not make an argument they played to the value of these contracts.
    Lester 6-155
    Zobrist 4-56

Quote Originally Posted by shorvath721 View Post
    Again, please look at the Sox payroll from 2005-2013. Jerry has spent money in the past when the team was competing ranking inside the top 5-10 numerous years. The last few years is a different story as this was a clear rebuilding phase.

Why are you so concerned about a 4/73 deal turning out like the cubs? When there has been numerous misses on the north side. This is close to 600 million in contracts???? And you are concerned we are getting in a bad spot with a 73 million dollar deal??

Darvish 6-126
    Heyward 8-184
    Chatwood 3-38
    Kimbrel 3-43

The two below were worth it as they won a title, but letís not make an argument they played to the value of these contracts.
    Lester 6-155
    Zobrist 4-56
    Also don't forget the "gift" Theo left Boston before he left...That Cherington somehow off loaded to LA. That's a Billion with a B worth of BAD contracts, and yet the guy is called a "genius"..........

Darvish 6-126
    Heyward 8-184
    Chatwood 3-38
    Kimbrel 3-43

Lester 6-155
    Zobrist 4-56
    I don't get why you and Bainsy are attacking me for liking the Cubs. Also, don't get why you are pointing bad Cubs contracts to me as a reason why this is good.

I'll try to say this one more time. Maybe, just maybe you can read it. I like the Sox. They are my 2nd favorite team. I root for 2 teams in baseball. The Cubs and the Sox. I only root for my hometown teams. Yes, Cubs first. Yes, Sox 2nd. They are in different divisions. They likely will never reach the World Series together. I hope they both get there every year. But they won't. I hope one wins every year. But they won't.

The Cubs have totally screwed up their competitive window. Gave a lot of bad money out. Fell in love with players who don't deserve it and signed others that were ill advised.

I'm concerned for any large deal with the White Sox because historically they don't give them. They also rarely spend. They don't run up big cap numbers for years on end. Jerry will spend if there is a title on the line for a year or 2, but not for 5 years straight. That's why every dollar matters. If you believe like I do they can contend not this season but for the next few after, this may be a concerning contract.

Catchers don't typically have longevity typically. Sox peak years of the rebuild Grandal will be minimum 32-33. Decline years. He is a great pitch framer, which will hold. That is his main defensive value. He is already below average at plate blocking and throwing runners, that won't get better.

He had his best year at the plate in a contract year at 30, most players peak around 30. He had his best OBP by 30 points, again, in a contract year. How many times do you need to see a contract player getting his deal and regressing to the mean? Also one on the wrong side of 30?

Again, I want the Sox to win. I want this to work. I hope it turns out like the Cubs Zobrist contract or better yet the Lester contract in the beginning years. I just don't like it for the White Sox for how they operate and hope I am wrong.

Hereís my response to your first paragraph only...itís because you came in here comparing this contract to being a potential bad deal that will lead to an early rebuild in a similar fashion that the cubs MAY currently have to do. Itís not a big contract...Also, you keep saying the Sox wonít spend, yet based on the historical facts, they do. I gave you a link to make it easier on you.

Itís just frustrating having someone try coming into our group here, and speak nonsense, thatís all.

Here, because you are too lazy to open a link and do it yourself. This is almost a 10 year window the Sox spent money when needed. They are never going to blow past the luxury cap, but letís not make it out that JR wonít spend money if needed.

2005-13th
    2006-4th
    2007-5th
    2008-5th
    2009-12th
    2010-7th
    2011-5th
    2012-11th
    2013-8th

Back in '96, I know Ö ancient history Jerry Reinsdorf shocked the world with the signing of Albert Belle and Jaime Navarro to large free agent contracts. Most of you guys were too young and maybe not even born to remember this, but it was a big, freaking deal.

If he's motivated, and it kind of seems like he is because if not now, when? Jerry will spend the money.
    1985 Bears
    2005 White Sox
    2010 Blackhawks
    1991 Bulls

1981 Sting

I was 11...I recall. Next year WILL be MOOKIE!!

Hereís my response to your first paragraph only...itís because you came in here comparing this contract to being a potential bad deal that will lead to an early rebuild in a similar fashion that the cubs MAY currently have to do. Itís not a big contract...Also, you keep saying the Sox wonít spend, yet based on the historical facts, they do. I gave you a link to make it easier on you.

Itís just frustrating having someone try coming into our group here, and speak nonsense, thatís all.
    You know what's frustrating? Having someone say I will only read your first paragraph and ignore everything else I said that actually made sense. Care to address anything I said justifying my opinion on the signing itself? All the while responding with an answer that doesn't even reflect what I said. I never said it would or could lead to an early rebuild. It is also a big contract, the largest in Sox history both in total dollars and average yearly.

I never said the Sox wouldn't spend. I said they won't spend like the top teams. Which your link and post below show. There is a humongous gap between the top 4-5 teams in terms of spending and everything below that. That was even more prevalent in the 2000s and early 2010s when the Sox occasionally spent in the mid or upper range.

The Sox will never spend like the Cubs. Both in terms of being a top 3 spender, and a consistent top 5 spender. It's a fact until proven otherwise as shown by your post. Even when they were winning or spending. They never spent like the Cubs or Yankees or Red Sox consistently.

So you if you want to talk about the signing, the reasons that I feel maybe it isn't great, feel free to address all the other points I made about the player and deal itself. I don't think this will ruin the Sox or anything like that. I just feel like it wasn't the most prudent decision for this team. I hope I'm wrong and will root for him to be amazing.

It's just sad, can't have a decent discussion with you because the Cubs were brought up. Get over it. I've been to a countless Sox and Cubs games, I like both teams.

I donít care that youíre a cubs fan. Time will tell whether or not this is a good deal. But to continue to languish on cheap second tier players is no way to win either. What would you have them do? They got an elite player at a premium position for the price he wanted. Free agents are not gonna give us a deal. Meanwhile we still have plenty of money to spend. This doesnít remotely hamstring this team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love the signing, Don't stop now boys!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123