Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Salary Dump Game

Cano and Cespedes are pretty useless to us, tell me what prospect or players you would include in a trade to completely rid yourself of their contract:
    2 Rules:
    1) You canít Jerry Dipoto and screw the other team.
    2) Wilpon rule in effect, so no one of value coming back and you retain nothing of the salary

Forum members can weigh in on their thoughts if another team would do it

Cespedesó> trade with Nimmo

Canoó> trade with Syndergaard
    Last edited by Larry M; 11-20-2019 at 01:42 AM.

Are you telling us that you would trade Syndergaard to get rid of Cano's salary and get nothing back? That might be worse than trading Nolan Ryan for Jim Fregosi.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
    Cano and Cespedes are pretty useless to us, tell me what prospect or players you would include in a trade to completely rid yourself of their contract:
    2 Rules:
    1) You canít Jerry Dipoto and screw the other team.
    2) Wilpon rule in effect, so no one of value coming back and you retain nothing of the salary

Forum members can weigh in on their thoughts if another team would do it

Cespedesó> trade with Nimmo

Canoó> trade with Syndergaard
    Then what are you doing with the cash to make up for the 3 additional holes you made?

Not realistic or practical if we are trying to win which we are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Two different animals, three years age difference, and $50 million difference in salary commitment.

Those are only two variables. As much as it seems like poetic beauty to lump these two together, they really don't belong. Cespedes is coming off two debilitating years of injuries but as a 33 year old he's a free agent next year even though he's owed nearly $30 mill this year. But the Mets are committed to the 37 year old Cano for the next 4 at a tune of $20 mill per.

When talking dumps, these are two entirely diff conversations.

It would be foolish for the Mets to do anything with Cespedes other than eat the remainder of his contract. As for Cano, it would be foolish for the rest of MLB to do anything other than sit back and laugh at our mistake.

The last thing we should be doing is throwing talent at other teams to get them to eat our mistakes. Small market teams do that. Not NY teams. Or at least they shouldnt.
    Last edited by fanofclendennon; 11-20-2019 at 07:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Two different animals, three years age difference, and $50 million difference in salary commitment.

Those are only two variables. As much as it seems like poetic beauty to lump these two together, they really don't belong. Cespedes is coming off two debilitating years of injuries but as a 33 year old he's a free agent next year even though he's owed nearly $30 mill this year. But the Mets are committed to the 37 year old Cano for the next 4 at a tune of $20 mill per.

When talking dumps, these are two entirely diff conversations.

It would be foolish for the Mets to do anything with Cespedes other than eat the remainder of his contract. As for Cano, it would be foolish for the rest of MLB to do anything other than sit back and laugh at our mistake.

The last thing we should be doing is throwing talent at other teams to get them to eat our mistakes. Small market teams do that. Not NY teams. Or at least they shouldnt.
    Thatís why itís a game

I too struggled on Cespedes and kept wanting to just eat his salary. But in the spirit of a game, I chose Nimmo.

And yes, two very different animals with Cano, thatís why the stakes are higher and Iím doing Syndergaard

Quote Originally Posted by ManningToTyree View Post
    Then what are you doing with the cash to make up for the 3 additional holes you made?

Not realistic or practical if we are trying to win which we are.

Jeffy wants to keep the money for himself, heís happy with a team that gets 80 wins because theyíll be somewhat meaningful games in September

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyndave View Post
    Are you telling us that you would trade Syndergaard to get rid of Cano's salary and get nothing back? That might be worse than trading Nolan Ryan for Jim Fregosi.
    Yes, thatís why Iím saying.

I donít believe weíll resign Syndergaard when the time comes. I also donít know if weíll ever see the Syndergaard pre-lat injury that weíre all hoping for. I think a team would take Syndergaard for our $24M paperweight

Thatís why itís a game

I too struggled on Cespedes and kept wanting to just eat his salary. But in the spirit of a game, I chose Nimmo.

And yes, two very different animals with Cano, thatís why the stakes are higher and Iím doing Syndergaard
    I always sucked at games.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears Ė but they seem kinda sensible...."

I would trade Ramos and essentially dump him just to relieve salary.

I would put Lowrie with a prospect like Szapucki or Peterson just to dump him.

What weíre getting back? Assuming that We canít get much, I would say some lottery ticket C spec or something.

Use that 20MM weíre saving and sign a guy like Chirinos and re-sign Wheeler.

Assuming that means our payroll is still in the 180-190MM range after that, just fill out the bullpen via free agency or by trading Nimmo.

I would personally try to packages Nimmo for a pitcher like Brad Hand+ more but letís not get to that yet.

If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumť

No one is dumb enough to take Cano no matter how hard we try to also give them a prospect. That's off the table.

Cespedes, maybe. But what's the point? He has a year left and if he's good enough to play, he's good enough to play for the Mets.

Don't worry. He's got this.

Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    No one is dumb enough to take Cano no matter how hard we try to also give them a prospect. That's off the table.

Cespedes, maybe. But what's the point? He has a year left and if he's good enough to play, he's good enough to play for the Mets.
    FoC endorses this comment.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears Ė but they seem kinda sensible...."

Yup. Sadly cano will be our starting 2nd basemen and probably number 3 hitter until his contract expire at 41. Mariners must laugh every day that not only they got a fool to take that contract of their hands but got big prospects as well including one of the best in baseball lol

Quote Originally Posted by JCrusher View Post
    Yup. Sadly cano will be our starting 2nd basemen and probably number 3 hitter until his contract expire at 41. Mariners must laugh every day that not only they got a fool to take that contract of their hands but got big prospects as well including one of the best in baseball lol
    Essentially Dipoto played the same game last year, to dump Cano he included a closer with a wipeout slider. As a joke, he asked for a top prospect in return...expecting to be hung up on, he closes the deal

Essentially Dipoto played the same game last year, to dump Cano he included a closer with a wipeout slider. As a joke, he asked for a top prospect in return...expecting to be hung up on, he closes the deal
    True. Any other GM in baseball would have told him to "seek help" for even suggesting that but not Brodie. As (bad) luck would have it our GM turned out to be Cano's agent so that played a huge role. also because ehe has no idea how to run a baseball team or evaluate trades

Honestly, I'd say the opposite. Cano, however overpaid he is, will almost certainly play next season, and there's a decent chance he'll play most of the inning remaining on his contract. Meanwhile we have no idea when or if Cespedes will ever play for an extended period of time. He might be done as a productive, everyday MLB player.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast