Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

42 minor league teams on the elimination list

Included along in this proposal is for the MLB Draft to be reduced from 40 rounds to 20, allow a max of 150 players per organization, and implement a limit on affiliated teams.

If this happens.. It will be terrible for the sport.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    He is talking about the one and only, pure trash: Ereck Flowers

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyskilla View Post
    His stern face can give that impression but I don't feel that's the case. New York isn't an easy place to play at, so honestly I can see his confidence at an all-time low for him.

I don't think he's a bust. I think he just needs the right motivation to pick himself up & play harder.

Doesn't bother me. There's a ridiculous amount of minor league teams. I'd just get rid of Low-A so there isn't low and high A. Then you have A, AA, AAA and call it done.

The team that's supposed to play in the Braves new Spring Training facility is on that list, so wonder what happens if this does happen...

Probably the braves development guys will work out there. The plan is to cut rookie ball essentially and turn rookie ball into an internal developmental situation that focuses on analytics and traits. Basically a place to baseline measure stuff like spin rates, launch angle and all that stuff then work on adjusting it.

I get the pushback from fans. These communities losing teams in what appears to be a cost cutting measure sucks. But from an actual baseball development standpoint, I don't think it's bad. Limiting the number of minor leaguers likely means losing out on the occasional mike piazza. But the focusing on developing traits and potentially being able to focus coaching on less players may also help unlock guys who may have just flamed out in the lower levels without as much attention as they likely get here.

Quit ****ing with the game. You keep out players like Mike Piazza who was a 62nd round pick.

Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid (13) Ryan HGHoward

They wouldn’t eliminate those teams only remove them as affiliate to major league teams. They’re talking about making the teams that get cut a “Dream League” where I drafted players can go and try and make it to an affiliated club. A lot of this sounds like it’s more about teams with substandard facilities that the big clubs don’t want to subsidize the necessary improvements and saving money on the sheer number of players so they can increase minor league player compensation without adding a lot of extra cost.

Quote Originally Posted by GasMan View Post
    They wouldn’t eliminate those teams only remove them as affiliate to major league teams. They’re talking about making the teams that get cut a “Dream League” where I drafted players can go and try and make it to an affiliated club. A lot of this sounds like it’s more about teams with substandard facilities that the big clubs don’t want to subsidize the necessary improvements and saving money on the sheer number of players so they can increase minor league player compensation without adding a lot of extra cost.
    No major league affiliation, no influx of highly drafted talent, and no cash from the MLB will absolutely kill those teams. MLB can trumpet the dream league, but unless they are diverting any cash to it, it will very likely die a very quick death. Not saying that's good or bad, but the dream league thing is just a nice way to try to justify cutting the teams and tell those communities they'll still see professional baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by dodgerdave View Post

Quit ****ing with the game. You keep out players like Mike Piazza who was a 62nd round pick.
    But is losing a Mike piazza type once every 20 years worth supporting these teams? And who's to say the smaller pool of players doesn't help with development of players who have historically busted?

I live in WI. So I checked our local low a team from 10 years ago. The 2009 wisconsin timber rattlers had 50 players play for them over the course of the season. 2 of those were current major leaguers on rehab assignments. So they had 48 minor leaguers play for them that season.

Of those 48 players, 8 made the majors. Of those 8, 2 guys were basically cup of coffee guys that were called up for less than a quarter of a season. So really, 6 of 48 actually played a full major league season. Of the 48, 25 never made it out of high A (the timber rattlers are low A.) And it's not like those 25 guys were just roster filler. They had 4 guys play at least 90 games for position players who never made it out of high A. 46% of their starts by pitchers were made by guys who never made it out of high A. Those rosters are littered with guys who very clearly will never make it. I get not wanting to focus resources on filling out those rosters.

Underrated but if you go to the MiLB shop they have some deadly hats.

The Lost Boys of PSD

If he wasn't a Dodger you wouldnt give a ****

Mike Piazza was probably one-in-a-million to make it extremely LARGE the way he did, and the Dodgers were lotto winners.

Do we need an A level anymore? I hate to use the Astros as a model organization lol, but they were one of the first, if not the first, to cut down their minor leagues from nine to seven teams. I played A level ball and while it was fun with the kind of attitudes of players you get, most of us knew we weren’t going to make it. Fun guys like Vince from The Color of Money, but not talented. The ones who had the best chances were already scouted out of high school ball. Just three in my league from HS made the pros. Coaching was better than HS, and you got to play against over 21 men and learn from their laziness, err… experience at the A level. Piazza probably went straight to the AA level.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonbourne View Post
    Piazza probably went straight to the AA level.
    Wrong again.

"there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    Wrong again.
    Piazza and even the Giants who played A ball could've gone to AA if they cut out the A level. MLB is cutting back because they're not making the money they used to make as they refuse to go to a 2-hr game.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonbourne View Post
    MLB is cutting back because they're not making the money they used to make as they refuse to go to a 2-hr game.
    You are beyond clueless. Stop talking about **** you know nothing about.

"there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast