Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Thread: The Knicks fix

The Knicks fix

I think most of us here agree that James Dolan's presence does more harm than good and we'd mostly agree that a change in ownership is needed.
    Imagining that this mythical new owner appears, what do we want him to do to fix the organization? Leaving the business side behind, what does the average person(includes me) that says Dolan is holding us back want from someone who will cure us from that 20 year hiatus?

So basically, just imagine that you end up with $20bn and you get to buy the Knicks with your spare change. What do you do to set the team on a perennial NBA Finals contendership? What moves do you make and what steps do you follow?

Hire people who actually know basketball, and have real basketball relationships instead of that snob faced dirtbag Steve Mills who has absolutely nothing to offer.

I said during the off season our main target should of been masai. I would of offered him 20 mill a year.

You had to be delusional to believe we were getting Zion and 2 max free agents, and overnight would become a top tier team.

It always comes down to hire the right people if dolan could do that then Knicks wouldn't be rebuilding for 2 decades

Sent from my BND-L34 using Tapatalk

Well, he did hire people related to the sport.

Isiah Thomas was a bad manager (good judge of talent though) but Dolan couldn't have predicted that. The man was believed to be a legend in the sport.
    Donnie Walsh and of course Phil Jackson were moves that the fanbase applauded.

Quote Originally Posted by NYKalltheway View Post

Isiah Thomas was a bad manager (good judge of talent though) but Dolan couldn't have predicted that. The man was believed to be a legend in the sport.

Correct, but I think the hiring part goes deeper than the president or gm. Isiah was a first time president as was Pjax. Walsh did a decent job, till Dolan needed Melo.

I think over the years its clear that there is not a bad apple its more the whole tree. The whole culture of MSG is the problem. Look at the reports over the years from this building. So what you need is an owner who evaluates, fire and hire as many guys as he think is needed to build a culture on success.

I would wish for someone like Jerry West or Pat Riley in an advisor role to a new ownership and a young ambitious GM, like Presti or Bob Myers.
    `

So why are Knicks still rebuilding after 2 decades can you answer that why under previous ownership the teams were highly competitive but since Dolan they have been stale expired rotten chicken? Why did gundy quit? Why did sprewell and camby get dumped? Why did grunwald get fired for Dolan wanting barf trade? Why does Steve Mills gets a pass yet it's fizdale job in jeopardy? Why did Phil get fired for trying to trade KP when his value was at peak but Mills gets to keep his job after dumping KP when his value at lowerst and for cap space so he can sign Morris Portis Ellington?

This are all decision made by Dolan

Quote Originally Posted by still a fan View Post
    So much for oh I hate Dolan but can't wait to defend him KnicksPRfan lol

Quote Originally Posted by cheetos185 View Post
    So much for oh I hate Dolan but can't wait to defend him KnicksPRfan lol

his post was spot, on dolan hired two people that were highly recommended and one was by the commish of the league.

You can dislike someone but fair is fair also, sorry most people aren't like you who just hates to hate.

You loved the Phil hiring sooooo much yet why not give Dolan credit even though it was a disaster? The difference is you look for reasons to hate and never give credit where credit is due.........that to me sucks when rooting for a team you are a fan of?

I couldn't watch a game that way, that's just me though.

And your two decades comment is flat out wrong, the fans, media put so much pressure to have a winner after the Ewing decade.....it was always go get that quick fix it just didn't work, but I never recall the media or fan base being against any of the moves, in fact for the most part they got back page headlines all positives, but years later it's soooo easy to judge.

But now it finally clicked even though we are the Mecca, no more of those kind of moves or contracts and let's see where it takes us. I still believe it takes a happy medium to get to a high level in the NBA, even Philly signed guys like Reddick to big contract and traded for Tobias and signed others as well, who is left from the draft, let's be honest? Embid and Simmons? Recently they added Richardson and Horford, that is the norm for great teams.

I'm not sold our FO can pull it off but I'm not going to sit here and bash them to no end at this point. No max guys came then continued with no long term deals, now we are 14 games in lets see where this takes us, to the trade deadline, to the draft and back to FA .........

Forget two decades focus on now.

I am a firm believer of the "Dolan is at fault" and "Dolan must sell the team" ideals.

I'm just not sure what the step after that should be. Is it just a personality issue and people just collide with him?

Here is a recent post of mine from the main NBA forums on a thread called "Diagnose the Knicks"

The biggest problem of Dolan is that he has ruined the identity and culture of the Knicks.

The players seem to get confused over what they're doing there to begin with. Even when we had Melo, Amare, Billups and JR Smith the whole thing seemed off.

There is a complete lack of direction. Dolan is happy to cash in. I'm not sure on the financials, but I'd say he probably gets as much or more from a badly run Knicks team than one that invests to become a contender. There is more cost involved in getting great players and coaches here. The revenue probably is on a similar level. Though indirectly if the Knicks do very well, it will bring more revenue to the NBA and more of that would be allocated to the franchise as well. But it may not be worth it business wise.

Dolan is not here to win. This is the Knicks' problem. If he wanted to win, he'd either pursue it or resign and let someone else make the tough calls. And I don't mean by hiring a new GM or "president".
    This is my firm view. The problem lies with the [lack of] culture in place. A new owner must be here to win, not to make money. He'll probably end up making tons of money either way, but if that's his sole goal, then it's no good for us to replace one James Dolan with another carrying a different name and hoping that at least he gets lucky with the team.

The Knicks pay too well and the money is guaranteed. People need to come to NYK and know that there is a pressure to succeed, a pressure to win. The Knicks have posed 22 losing seasons since inception until the end of the millenium. We have already posed 17 losing seasons out of less than 20 in the 2nd millenium. If this was not New York, the team would have probably folded by now under such management.

I just don't think it's a personnel issue. Hiring basketball gurus hasn't really helped us as much as they genuinely wanted to build a great team here. We almost succeeded but do we kid ourselves? Our Melo + Amare team with the rest was never going to get over the ledge. We were at best an ECF team every 4 tries and 1st or 2nd round exits the rest, that wouldn't have any chances of reaching the NBA Finals. Which surely beats what we have now, but this franchise needs and deserves to aim higher.

And as I said in the post I quoted, Dolan is not here to make the Knicks win, but just ensure his wallet remains fat enough. And yes, 20 years later we still are impatient. A series of management mistakes have made us even more cautious. Some are even numb now. People think that whatever player we draft and gets starting minutes will become some sort of messiah. It was Landry Fields several years back, now it's Frank Ntilikina [who looks more promising of course] and so forth. But this is just madness.
    Last edited by NYKalltheway; 11-20-2019 at 06:34 PM.