Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

11/16 & 11/17 NBA Game Thread

Last edited by kdspurman; 11-17-2019 at 05:16 PM.

Paul George is still good.

No Westbrook, Capela, Gordon and House. No problem. Harden has been unbelievable lately. 8th 40 point game in their first 13 games (all wins).

Quote Originally Posted by Saddletramp View Post
    No Westbrook, Capela, Gordon and House. No problem. Harden has been unbelievable lately. 8th 40 point game in their first 13 games (all wins).
    Pathetic game by minnesota, what houston could have done better for them than missing all these players???

I can't believe they won these last two games. I had basically pencilled in losses in my head knowing Capela, Gordon and House were out. Westbrook being out last night, even with Wiggins out, seemed like a certain loss.

But James keeps carrying them, and they've gotten some big contributions by some unlikely places. Clemons was insanely good last night and Hartenstein seemed to play well. McLemore has played much better given more minutes.

Suddenly they're 10-3 with seven straight wins and a 7-0 record in the conference.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron24th View Post
    Pathetic game by minnesota, what houston could have done better for them than missing all these players???
    MN needs there heart and soul...Wiggins has missed the last two games due to death in the family.

I think he shot 22, 3 pointers. He and the Rocket fans can have that.

I don't care if he scored 49pts. Get this style of basketball out of here.

39min/ 16-41fg/ 8-22 3pt/ 9-11ft/ 6ast/ +16/ 49pts
    Last edited by Dade County; 11-17-2019 at 01:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IKnowHoops View Post
    As a rookie Micheal Beasley averaged 13.9pts per game on .472 shooting. Do you know how many times Kobe Bryant or Tracy Mcgrady shot at that percent or better? Never in there whole careers. If Beas can be what he was when he was a rookie (he won't hell be better) then the heat are coming away with another steal.

Quote Originally Posted by Dade County View Post
    I think he shot 22, 3 pointers. He and the Rocket fans can have that.

I don't care if he scored 49pts. Get this style of basketball out of here.

39min/ 16-41fg/ 8-22 3pt/ 9-11ft/ 6ast/ +16/ 49pts
    Look at the box score and who his supporting cast was. His No. 2 scorer was an undrafted rookie. Four of the team's best players were out, including four of the team's top five leading scorers. Also, maybe try watching the game.

You're either completely ignorant of the circumstances or a total moron if you criticize Harden for his play last night.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    Look at the box score and who his supporting cast was. His No. 2 scorer was an undrafted rookie.
    I was going to write I know he is missing people, but it didn't matter to me. He has been putting shots even when most of his team mates are fully healthy.

Four of the team's best players were out, including four of the team's top five leading scorers. Also, maybe try watching the game.
    22, 3pt attempts isn't ok to me. I don't care who is on his team. He has also put up a lot of attempts other then this game.

It's not only about this game. Look at what he's been doing the entire season, (of course not every single game) just throwing up shot after shot.

You're either completely ignorant of the circumstances or a total moron if you criticize Harden for his play last night.
    UMad

You have to deal with that...smh
    Last edited by Dade County; 11-17-2019 at 05:15 PM.

As a rookie Micheal Beasley averaged 13.9pts per game on .472 shooting. Do you know how many times Kobe Bryant or Tracy Mcgrady shot at that percent or better? Never in there whole careers. If Beas can be what he was when he was a rookie (he won't hell be better) then the heat are coming away with another steal.

Look at the box score and who his supporting cast was. His No. 2 scorer was an undrafted rookie. Four of the team's best players were out, including four of the team's top five leading scorers. Also, maybe try watching the game.

Replace Harden with Jrue and this whole post is still factually correct [emoji4]

Quote Originally Posted by Dade County View Post
    I was going to write I know he is missing people, but it didn't matter to me. He has been putting shots even when most of his team mates are fully healthy.
    Did you miss what I just wrote? The team isn't healthy. Far from it. The team they scrapped together last night had only four guys from the regular 8-man rotation: Harden, Tucker, Chandler and Rivers. And Chandler doesn't play that much. McLemore and Clemons are the garbage time guys, and Hartenstein and Clark had to be called up from the G-League.

22, 3pt attempts isn't ok to me. I don't care who is on his team. He has also put up a lot of attempts other then this game.
    You keep bringing this up, but who gives a **** as long as he's hitting them at a decent clip? Last time I checked, 36.4% is above average from the 3-point line. If 3-4 guys combined to shoot that, you'd have no qualms about it. So why does it matter if one guys is taking that many shots?

It's not only about this game. Look at what he's been doing the entire season, (of course not every single game) just throwing up shot after shot.
    Again, who cares if the Rockets are winning and he's efficient about it? His 60.9% TS% is well, well above league average, and prior to last night, the most FGA he'd had in a game was 32.

Also, let's provide some historical context. While 25.8 FGA per game seems crazy in today's NBA, that number averaged out over 82 games would only be the 15th most FGA ever in a season. Those 14 seasons include nine players, including Wilt, MJ, Barry, Kobe, Baylor and Hayes. And of those nine players, only a single one averaged more points per game in one of those seasons than Harden is on pace to score (Wilt). And the two seasons Wilt averaged 40+, he was taking 35 and 40 shots per game.

I mentioned Kobe and MJ earlier. Let's bring them back to put last night's game into historical perspective. According to BR, which only tracks the most FGA in a game back to 83-84, 41+ FGA has happened in the NBA 20 times. Kobe did it nine times, MJ did it four times, Westbrook did it twice and Webber, Iverson, Wilkins, Robinson and now Harden have each done it once.

So basically you're looking at a list of guys who are all unquestioned Hall of Famers, most of them who'd easily be among the top 50 of players all-time. In terms of MJ and Kobe, you're talking about the two greatest SGs in NBA history. So, if those guys deemed it was necessary to take 41 shots in a game, am I OK with Harden doing it? You bet your *** I am, especially if it helps his team win the game (which they did).

You're just using a convenient double standard here because you don't like Harden. But here are the facts:
    1. The Rockets won the game and dominated down the stretch thanks to his play in the fourth.
    2. Even if it wasn't efficient, the dude put up 49 points, his third straight game of 40+ and the seventh time he's topped 40 in only 13 games.
    3. The Rockets are extremely thin right now due to injuries, and were playing the second night of a back-to-back in which they had to fly from Houston to Minnesota.
    4. He may have started slow, but he's having another unbelievable, historic year. Right now he's on pace to average the third most points per game in NBA history. Only one guy in history has averaged more than 37.1 in a season (Wilt).
    5. The Rockets are 10-3, are coming off three straight wins against teams (seven straight in total) with winning records and are sitting at second in a stacked Western Conference despite a super slow start.

So, yeah, I think you're talking out of your *** and don't have a leg to stand on.

UMad

You have to deal with that...smh
    I don't get mad on PSD. And if there were posters on this site capable of making me angry because they were so good at debating sports, you would definitely not be among them.

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    Replace Harden with Jrue and this whole post is still factually correct [emoji4]
    Right, it happens. Guys get hurt, and it causes certain players to step up and take on more than their usual usage. The big difference is Harden is putting up insane numbers and helping his team win games. Jrue... not so much (although he was awesome against the Clippers, and they won that game).

Right, it happens. Guys get hurt, and it causes certain players to step up and take on more than their usual usage. The big difference is Harden is putting up insane numbers and helping his team win games. Jrue... not so much (although he was awesome against the Clippers, and they won that game).
    Yea. I'm not a fan of "I don't care if it was 1 on 5 due to foul outs and injuries, it's bad basketball to shoot that much".

Did you miss what I just wrote? The team isn't healthy. Far from it. The team they scrapped together last night had only four guys from the regular 8-man rotation: Harden, Tucker, Chandler and Rivers. And Chandler doesn't play that much. McLemore and Clemons are the garbage time guys, and Hartenstein and Clark had to be called up from the G-League.
    You are only focusing on last night. Harden shoot first, while other players standing around isn't good.

Harden is offensively skilled but his offensive play style isn't truly productive to an overall offensive scheme.

You have to know this. Other NBA ex/players have already talked about this as well.

You keep bringing this up, but who gives a **** as long as he's hitting them at a decent clip? Last time I checked, 36.4% is above average from the 3-point line. If 3-4 guys combined to shoot that, you'd have no qualms about it. So why does it matter if one guys is taking that many shots?
    No real offensive flow to the team (not only focusing on last night). I know he started off really slow/bad this season; but he is truly volume scoring at this point.

These are NBA players next to him all season long. Some players just need more reps and shots will start falling...etc

If the 3 pointers are coming in the flow of the offense, who would complain? Bad or good shooting night.

But the thing is, on most nights, it's his forced offense. Some fans like it & others don't, I just don't like it & what truly saves him, is the super star foul calls he gets during the regular season only.

Again, who cares if the Rockets are winning and he's efficient about it? His 60.9% TS% is well, well above league average, and prior to last night, the most FGA he'd had in a game was 32.
    His stats will fluctuate no doubt... But you have to focus on his all around offensive game.

Harden is shooting a career-worst 22.2 percent from behind-the-arc this season which eclipses

any NBA season as well as his collegiate days at Arizona State.* Itís likely because heís getting acclimated to where his spots are with Westbrook in the fold but itís important that I point this out to you.

Now mind you, Harden shot 6-for-14 last night (42.8 percent) so this notion may just be a weird anomaly to start out the season.
    But the fact that this has happened is alarming but itís better for it now to happen than down stretch at the end of the season or even worse, during the playoffs.
    https://houseofhouston.com/2019/10/3...-career-worst/

Itís a play that has become, for some people, regrettably familiar. James Harden handles the ball behind the arc, calmly dribbling back-and-forth as his defender anxiously shuffles and twitches in front of him. Harden steps back, launches a 3 and as your eyes follow the arc of the ball you hear a whistle and then look back to see Harden on the ground with the defender walking away in frustration.
    Over the last three seasons, Harden has played in 228 games and drawn 291 foul calls while attempting a 3-pointer. The next closest player*over the same stretch*is Damian Lillard with 97 in 228 games. Harden has drawn more fouls on 3-point attempts than the next three players below him on the list,*combined.
    The numbers are simply staggering ó heís averaged about 1.3 three-shot trips to the free-throw line*per game*over that stretch and single-handedly been responsible for*8.1 percent of the leagueís total fouls drawn*on 3-pointers. Heís been fouled on more than 10 percent of his 3-point attempts over the last three seasons. Only a handful of other players are even over five percent.
    Of course, all of this matters as much more than an annoyance to basketball purists. Harden has made 86.1 percent of his free throws over the three seasons. Using that value gives a trip to the foul line for three shots an expected value of 2.58 points per possession. Thatís more than twice the expected value of his actual 3-point attempts over the past three seasons. For comparison, LeBron James had an expected value of 1.91 last season*on dunk attempts.
    https://fansided.com/2019/06/25/nylo...oint-loophole/

STATS
    Regular Season
    Career
    GP MIN FG% 3P% FT% REB AST BLK STL PF TO PTS
    13 36.9 41.7 33.2 88.1 5.6 7.8 0.5 1.6 3.0 5.5 39.5

Also, let's provide some historical context. While 25.8 FGA per game seems crazy in today's NBA, that number averaged out over 82 games would only be the 15th most FGA ever in a season. Those 14 seasons include nine players, including Wilt, MJ, Barry, Kobe, Baylor and Hayes. And of those nine players, only a single one averaged more points per game in one of those seasons than Harden is on pace to score (Wilt). And the two seasons Wilt averaged 40+, he was taking 35 and 40 shots per game.

I mentioned Kobe and MJ earlier. Let's bring them back to put last night's game into historical perspective. According to BR, which only tracks the most FGA in a game back to 83-84, 41+ FGA has happened in the NBA 20 times. Kobe did it nine times, MJ did it four times, Westbrook did it twice and Webber, Iverson, Wilkins, Robinson and now Harden have each done it once.

So basically you're looking at a list of guys who are all unquestioned Hall of Famers, most of them who'd easily be among the top 50 of players all-time. In terms of MJ and Kobe, you're talking about the two greatest SGs in NBA history. So, if those guys deemed it was necessary to take 41 shots in a game, am I OK with Harden doing it? You bet your *** I am, especially if it helps his team win the game (which they did).
    Great NBA players on that list...

Harden play style isn't going to lead to a championship & I believe you know this. if he was doing this in the flow of the offense (minus some nights he feels that he has to go hero ball), then I would value his overall stats.

But what Harden is doing, is jacking up 3's in a one man show, betting that he can just avg everything out overall when it comes to his numbers (3 is worth more then 2 lol).

You're just using a convenient double standard here because you don't like Harden.
    I'm cool with Harden, his offensive play style isn't to my liking.

But Harden gets to prove this upcoming playoffs, without a Super Super team like GS in his way. Lets see what happens.

If his play style leads to another playoff exit, I hope you can admit that he isn't truly helping out his team.

But here are the facts:
    1. The Rockets won the game and dominated down the stretch thanks to his play in the fourth.
    2. Even if it wasn't efficient, the dude put up 49 points, his third straight game of 40+ and the seventh time he's topped 40 in only 13 games.
    I don't care about his 40 plus points...

Other players if they start shooting the ball like crazy could do the same. But I don't know if they would get the same foul calls.

I really like T mac as a player, if he would throw up as much shots as harden, I believe he would do much better scoring wise & dominate more.

& I never attacked the win, I pointed out Harden jacking up 22, 3 pointers, which I can clearly see that you don't care about.

3. The Rockets are extremely thin right now due to injuries, and were playing the second night of a back-to-back in which they had to fly from Houston to Minnesota.
    4. He may have started slow, but he's having another unbelievable, historic year. Right now he's on pace to average the third most points per game in NBA history. Only one guy in history has averaged more than 37.1 in a season (Wilt).
    This isn't a problem to you with West on the team? This means he came into the season saying i'm going to get mine. & we Know Westbrook needs the ball in his hands (not all the time, but damn).

5. The Rockets are 10-3, are coming off three straight wins against teams (seven straight in total) with winning records and are sitting at second in a stacked Western Conference despite a super slow start.
    I picked the Rockets to have the BEST record in the West this season. Him & Westbrook should lead to a lot of regular season wins.

So, yeah, I think you're talking out of your *** and don't have a leg to stand on.
    Know you are talking as a fanatic. You are going to point out the things/numbers that favors your point.

While ignoring the truth right in front of you. Harden history has proven that #fact.

I don't get mad on PSD. And if there were posters on this site capable of making me angry because they were so good at debating sports, you would definitely not be among them.
    Cool.
    Last edited by Dade County; 11-17-2019 at 11:17 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast