Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by blams View Post
    The school gives out scholarships...giving an education or place to stay, etc takes NOTHING out of the universities pockets (essentially)

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    food isn't free and there's lost opportunity cost by not getting rent for the space they give the athlete....you can say giving them the education costs them nothing, but they provide tutors, books, and because they're in the class other paying customers may not be able to.................that said, I never said that outweighed the income the school reaps, just that the athlete does receive things of financial value
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

Quote Originally Posted by Bullseyed View Post
    The average tuition as of 2018 is $20,770 state school, $46,950 private school per year.

A degree costing $50k is a fantasy from 20 years ago. State school is over $80k now and private is over $185k. Due to the massive devaluation of a college degree (despite the increased cost), many engineers get their masters now as well or an MBA.
    My mechanical engineering degree from a top 15ish mechanical program (VT) had a grand total of 45k. I'm currently getting a master's for ***** and giggles because my work pays for it and it stalls interest on my loans. I knew plenty of people paying more than that because they maxed out their loans and/or went out of state like idiots. I have family members who did community college for 2 years before 2 years at university and graduated with less than 30k in loans.

If schools wouldn't convince kids that college is magical party land where you get away from your family for a few years then get a 100k/year job, they'd be a lot better off. If I would've been more responsible with my summer jobs/internships I probably could've gotten out of college with significantly less debt.

BuT mUh 60% cOmPlEtion

Quote Originally Posted by manbearchef View Post
    I have family members who did community college for 2 years before 2 years at university and graduated with less than 30k in loans.
    So, I just want to point out that not every state has the arrangement VA has.

For those that don't know VA has guaranteed transfer and acceptance to state school if you finish CC with a certain GPA. So if you go to a VA CC for 2 years, and for UVA keep a 3.75 GPA in your field (varies by degree), UVA HAS to accept you and all your credits earned.

In PA, there isn't this arrangement. So you could go to a PA CC and get a AS in Business, 60 credits, and go to a state school, but only have 35 credits transfer over with you. In most other states your best option with CC is 1 year, figure out gen eds that transfer, get a good GPA, then go to any school you want to within the state.

Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    food isn't free and there's lost opportunity cost by not getting rent for the space they give the athlete....you can say giving them the education costs them nothing, but they provide tutors, books, and because they're in the class other paying customers may not be able to.................that said, I never said that outweighed the income the school reaps, just that the athlete does receive things of financial value
    What school uses books?

Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    What school uses books?
    Colleges? Almost all. Professors need to line their pockets.

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    Colleges? Almost all. Professors need to line their pockets.
    Never bought a book in college, including Masters. Everything online.

Or in the library.

I have never heard of a class that didnít need some sort of book or workbook that didnít need to be purchased.

I have never heard of a class that didnít need some sort of book or workbook that didnít need to be purchased.
    In college I only had one class that *required* a book and it was the professor's own book. But then resourceful classmates could get you a PDF file.

Just bought access keys/codes for online material. Hell, my son graduates in December, has never had to purchase a physical book. Our HS doesnít even issue books.

Quote Originally Posted by QB_Eagles View Post
    In college I only had one class that *required* a book and it was the professor's own book. But then resourceful classmates could get you a PDF file.
    I had 1 course issue the chance to buy an ďunboundĒ book. But thatís it. Most the books had some type of workbook or ďone time useĒ thing to it.

The worst was for a 3 class block having to buy ArcGIS for myself. $3500 at the college student pricing and that didnít even include the book.

Just bought access keys/codes for online material. Hell, my son graduates in December, has never had to purchase a physical book. Our HS doesnít even issue books.
    So still purchased some sort of extra stuff for the class.

So still purchased some sort of extra stuff for the class.
    My point was, purchasing actual textbooks is becoming historic and outdated.

This. I wasted $400 on used books my first semester that I didn't use, so I quit buying them. I didn't even bother getting PDF copies unless the professor was a lazy douche and assigned problems from the book.

I'm sure every class I took 'required' an overpriced textbook, but more often than not there was never a time it had to be used. Every now and then a professor would require some stupid online access code so you'd have to pay for them to give you premade homework assignments. The codes usually arent more than $50-70, so if you're the most unlucky person in the world and have 5 classes that all require codes, you're probably not paying more than $300.

In all honesty, the most I ever had to pay for class code/software was for an engineering software that assists in material selection to meet your design criteria. It was one of the most helpful softwares I used in college and only costed like $120.

BuT mUh 60% cOmPlEtion

Should Trevor Lawrence forgo playing anymore college games

Quote Originally Posted by manbearchef View Post
    This. I wasted $400 on used books my first semester that I didn't use, so I quit buying them. I didn't even bother getting PDF copies unless the professor was a lazy douche and assigned problems from the book.

I'm sure every class I took 'required' an overpriced textbook, but more often than not there was never a time it had to be used. Every now and then a professor would require some stupid online access code so you'd have to pay for them to give you premade homework assignments. The codes usually arent more than $50-70, so if you're the most unlucky person in the world and have 5 classes that all require codes, you're probably not paying more than $300.

In all honesty, the most I ever had to pay for class code/software was for an engineering software that assists in material selection to meet your design criteria. It was one of the most helpful softwares I used in college and only costed like $120.
    I purchased every book, read them, kept notes in them. I would have failed out without it.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast