Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    and do what, sit at home? pay his own way at school? or expect Clemson to pay for a year he's not playing?
    He's going to make millions in the NFL. Clemson couldn't care less if he gets hurt and cant play again, so he sits at home, works out and focuses on getting ready for the combine. If he doesn't come back, Clemson gets a scholarship back.

and do what, sit at home? pay his own way at school? or expect Clemson to pay for a year he's not playing?
    Do what most top picks do for the spring semester:
    Drop out, have agents back them, train about 20-30 hours a week.

Could you imagine the exposure if he were to do that and work for like the ACC network or B/R or something like that breaking down play and was able to do it really well?

Seems WAY too early to do that. He can't be drafted until April 2021.

They do. It's called tuition.
    Well, that's the other thing... college tuition should be zero.

Quote Originally Posted by QB_Eagles View Post
    That's a major political point going on right now. Here's my favorite one:
    Harvard's endowment is $41billion and they could operate 60 years off the endowment alone without charging a single student tuition.

Coming back to this:
    I saw an interesting proposal from someone on twitter of how to handle paying student athletes and protecting players at the same time.

If you are going to pay players, abolish the current scholarship structure, and introduce a "tuition offset" system. For example, Clemson costs roughly $31,000 a year. So if Trevor Lawrence is allowed to profit off his name, the first $31,000 he makes that year has to go back to Clemson as an offset, and because he makes enough from his likeness then he doesn't get any part of his education free.

So lets say John Smith goes to Clemson on a golf scholarship. In a year he makes $15,000 off his likeness, there's $16,000 difference between his likeness income and tuition; that's what the scholarship should cover.

He continued to expand on the thought, that the NCAA should be required to allow for a non-contact option for football players. After 2 years, if you feel like you've reached a level that you could play in the NFL, you can chose to not play, but there's a 'spring league' of flag football that limits injuries of the high impact variety for athletes.

The biggest thing they need to do away with:
    Student-Athletes have to buy all of their equipment...unless it's considered "part of the uniform".

Where is this a problem to me? Stuff like gloves, cleats, sleeves, helmets are free to football players. But if you play golf; cleats, gloves, belts have to come out of your own pocket. Golfers get 3 polos, 2 pull overs, 2 pairs of pants, 1 rain suit, 1 hat, 1 bag for 'free' from their uniform. Want a different weight pullover or jacket? Long sleeve pullover? Waterproof hat? That's on you.

Continuing on the golfer example, profiting off their likeness is incredibly hard. About the best way is to allow them to play in events for cash in the offseason, but then it's USGA rules that are the issue. So allowing them to profit within golf without losing amatuer status with the USGA is impossible. The 1 'loophole' to this rule is equipment. As long as they aren't paid, they can receive free equipment and still be an amatuer. But according to the NCAA getting free equipment is a no-no (improper benefits). So they need to allow golfers, tennis players, hockey players, lacrosse players, baseball, softball, field hockey, any sport with 'non-uniform equipment' to get the equipment for free.

As for Trevor Lawrence, his family is well off enough that he doesn't need the risk of another year of injury and doesn't need the tuition to afford a Clemson education. So he could drop out, spend a year training like a typical player spends about 3-4 months training for the Combine, his parents pay for another year of college, get his degree and not be risking injury, AND still be a high pick.

It clearly didn't hurt Nick Bosa as a top 3 pick, but I guess it all depends on how sure everyone is that he's the next great NFL QB. He doesn't have anything to prove at the college level, but I bet theres still throws and situations pro scouts would like to see him in.

BuT mUh 60% cOmPlEtion

A whole separate non-sports discussion, but a few things there. One, zero for the student wouldn't mean zero to the taxpayer. Paying for education prior to college is already an iffy/unfair setup where the money often comes from property taxes, so a single person with no kids in any school might still pay as much into their local schools as a person with 4 kids.

Two, no 2 schools are created equal- so tuition should be free...where? That would have to be only to publicly funded universities I'd guess....which would severely cut into private university enrollment (unless the setup were to be a specific dollar amount per student is covered- i.e. the typical public university tuition is $18,000 so that's the amount of tuition covered should a student choose a private school, the rest being their responsibility). Probably as far, or further, than I should go here.
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

A whole separate non-sports discussion, but a few things there. One, zero for the student wouldn't mean zero to the taxpayer. Paying for education prior to college is already an iffy/unfair setup where the money often comes from property taxes, so a single person with no kids in any school might still pay as much into their local schools as a person with 4 kids.

Two, no 2 schools are created equal- so tuition should be free...where? That would have to be only to publicly funded universities I'd guess....which would severely cut into private university enrollment (unless the setup were to be a specific dollar amount per student is covered- i.e. the typical public university tuition is $18,000 so that's the amount of tuition covered should a student choose a private school, the rest being their responsibility). Probably as far, or further, than I should go here.
    I guess the concept could be puzzling if there weren't several countries in the world that offer free college tuition. It's generally proven to be good for the economy, not just the concept that college graduates earn higher salaries and therefore pay more in taxes, but also that personal debt is not sustainable long-term as a means of growing the economy. This is all beside the moral argument that social mobility is good and a person shouldn't be disadvantaged in attaining higher education compared to someone with rich parents. As for affording it, just bomb one fewer country and you should be gucci.

I guess the concept could be puzzling if there weren't several countries in the world that offer free college tuition. It's generally proven to be good for the economy, not just the concept that college graduates earn higher salaries and therefore pay more in taxes, but also that personal debt is not sustainable long-term as a means of growing the economy. This is all beside the moral argument that social mobility is good and a person shouldn't be disadvantaged in attaining higher education compared to someone with rich parents. As for affording it, just bomb one fewer country and you should be gucci.
    America has an unsustainable national debt, "free" college is the last thing we need. Any degree worth having will provide you with job prospects that can easily offset the costs of repayment without burdening people who didn't waste 80k on a **** degree. Plus it's cheaper to just pay your own loans off than to pay a large percent of your yearly income for the rest of your life.

BuT mUh 60% cOmPlEtion

I wouldn’t play another goddamn down. I’d withdraw from school, hire an agent; have the agent set me up with a top tier training agency and get ready for my pro career. Their is nothing he will do at the college level that is going to change how pro teams think of him. Only bad **** can happen. Life lesson: limit the bad ****.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by manbearchef View Post
    America has an unsustainable national debt, "free" college is the last thing we need. Any degree worth having will provide you with job prospects that can easily offset the costs of repayment without burdening people who didn't waste 80k on a **** degree. Plus it's cheaper to just pay your own loans off than to pay a large percent of your yearly income for the rest of your life.
    "How could we ever afford it?", I ask as Congress approves $80B increases in the military budget every year.

It's going to be interesting to see what easy-to-pay-off personal debt is going to cause the next global recession. Last time was mortgages. I think next time will be medical debt but it could also be student loans.

Without touching on your obvious love of our military, do those countries with free education have well over 4,000 colleges and a national debt that's over 20 trillion?
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

Without touching on your obvious love of our military, do those countries with free education have well over 4,000 colleges and a national debt that's over 20 trillion?
    US national debt doesn't really matter, at least not until other country's have stopped trading their natural resources in US dollar or tying their national currencies to it. (Like good friend Saudi Arabia trades their oil in USD, but baddies Venezuela and Iran don't.) In fact if the US government started to reduce debt it would have to do so by eliminating investments of its citizens. But discussing this further would probably derail the thread way more than it already is.
    Last edited by QB_Eagles; 11-17-2019 at 04:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by manbearchef View Post
    It clearly didn't hurt Nick Bosa as a top 3 pick, but I guess it all depends on how sure everyone is that he's the next great NFL QB. He doesn't have anything to prove at the college level, but I bet theres still throws and situations pro scouts would like to see him in.
    Bosa did it with 6 months until the draft. This would be Lawrence doing it 17 months before he can be drafted, not exactly the same situation.

"How could we ever afford it?", I ask as Congress approves $80B increases in the military budget every year.

It's going to be interesting to see what easy-to-pay-off personal debt is going to cause the next global recession. Last time was mortgages. I think next time will be medical debt but it could also be student loans.
    I'm the last person who will disagree with you on US war mongering. But food for thought, if the US stops being the world police, other countries will have to actually start investing in their own militaries.

Regardless, I don't see how you think the US funneling money into our already overly bureaucratic education system will somehow stop a recession. A non STEM/medical/business degree is just as worthless if the taxpayers pay for little Johnny to have a good time at college. If the federal government would stop allowing every dumb 18 year old to take astronomical loans we might not have these problems.

Quote Originally Posted by NBA all the way View Post
    Bosa did it with 6 months until the draft. This would be Lawrence doing it 17 months before he can be drafted, not exactly the same situation.
    I mean didn't Bosa get injured after his 1st game his last year? By game number, Lawrence would only miss 1 more game than Bosa did, but I imagine it looks bad to quit on your team like that.

BuT mUh 60% cOmPlEtion

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast