Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by RedandGold_35 View Post
    I'm just apprehensive about it. I think as part of a whole group he's been fantastic, but I just don't feel great about paying him what will be the kind of money a stand out individual gets.

Last year, pre additions to the Def, he played in 16 games and had 3 sacks while Buckner had 12 in the same frame. Just feels too much like all the attention from opposing teams goes to Buck, Bosa and Ford leaving him easy oppertunity.
    Are you still not watching the games? That's the only way that you can come to that conclusion. Armstead is playing out of his mind.

Quote Originally Posted by rapjuicer06 View Post
    I agree with you. I think we can replace Armstead.

I'm pretty worried about our run defense. I think we need to draft a run defender.

Tackle, Linebacker, receiver and possibly a bigger back in the draft
    We have some really good run defenders in Armstead, DJ Jones, and Jullian Taylor. The perceived issues in the run defense are due to scheme, not talent. The wide 9 makes you more susceptible to running plays. If the linebackers can't fill the gaps on a specific play, then there are usually big rushing lanes.

Keep in mind Armstead's improved play came also with a coaching and scheme change, not just who else is on the line with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakers211221 View Post
    Are you still not watching the games? That's the only way that you can come to that conclusion. Armstead is playing out of his mind.
    I've watched some, he doesn't flash to me like Bosa has, I mean I saw the sack from yesterday and all he had to do was stunt through an open gap. I mean, he got the job done, but I feel like alot of folks could have.

I've watched some, he doesn't flash to me like Bosa has, I mean I saw the sack from yesterday and all he had to do was stunt through an open gap. I mean, he got the job done, but I feel like alot of folks could have.
    Part of that though is the ongoing scheme game. They scheme using Armstead to help Bosa and Bosa to help Armstead, and on and on. But if you are expecting Armstead to compare favorably to Bosa as a pass rusher you are kind of missing the point.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    Part of that though is the ongoing scheme game. They scheme using Armstead to help Bosa and Bosa to help Armstead, and on and on. But if you are expecting Armstead to compare favorably to Bosa as a pass rusher you are kind of missing the point.
    Well my point is, to keep him, he's gonna get a pretty penny as DT contracts have started to pile up. Then we'll also have to assuredly pay Buck more because he's been the overall bettter of the two. So while I appreciate what he is in our system, I just don't like the idea financially over the long term. I'd rather use the money elsewhere and reap the 3rd round comp pick I'm sure he'll land us in what's gonna be a low movement offseason for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakers211221 View Post
    We have some really good run defenders in Armstead, DJ Jones, and Jullian Taylor. The perceived issues in the run defense are due to scheme, not talent. The wide 9 makes you more susceptible to running plays. If the linebackers can't fill the gaps on a specific play, then there are usually big rushing lanes.
    I get that, but our linebackers arent stopping the run very well, or at all. They are very good against the pass

QB-Lock
    RB-Montgomery
    WR-AJ Brown, Hakeem Butler
    TE-TJ Hockenson
    Edge-Allen
    LB-Devon White, Blake Cashman
    CB-Joejuan Williams
    S-Dieonte Thompson

Well my point is, to keep him, he's gonna get a pretty penny as DT contracts have started to pile up. Then we'll also have to assuredly pay Buck more because he's been the overall bettter of the two. So while I appreciate what he is in our system, I just don't like the idea financially over the long term. I'd rather use the money elsewhere and reap the 3rd round comp pick I'm sure he'll land us in what's gonna be a low movement offseason for us.
    Completely agree. Armstead has played well, but not irreplaceable like Buckner.

QB-Lock
    RB-Montgomery
    WR-AJ Brown, Hakeem Butler
    TE-TJ Hockenson
    Edge-Allen
    LB-Devon White, Blake Cashman
    CB-Joejuan Williams
    S-Dieonte Thompson

Maybe, but it seemed you were talking about his on field performance rather than his relative value going forward.

Side notes...

Ford out 1-2 weeks, I think they'll really need him in New Orleans. Faster surface, where he can thrive. I just hope its precisely two weeks.

Hurd out for the year.
    It's time to start winning right?

Playoffs and Championship droughts...

SF 49ers - 5 years no playoffs, 24 years no championship
    LA Lakers - 6 years no playoffs, 9 years no championship
    LA Kings - 1 year no playoffs, 5 years no championship
    SF Giants - 2 years no playoffs, 5 years no championship

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123