Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    Giants will never do a full on rebuild. Without spending a dime yet this offseason, they're already $15MM over the league average payroll and will likely continue to be a top 5-10 spending team in MLB.
    I think they'll be watching their spending. They let closer Will Smith go and he signed with his hometown Braves. The Gs should get a compensatory pick. If you look at the top FAs, then they're MadBum's age so what's the point?

If you can find a cheaper Bryce Harper in this pile, then let us know. You sound like you know more than me -- https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/free-agents/. I'm just reading tea leaves, so what do I know?

Of course they'll be watching their spending. Doesn't mean they're going to drop to a middle of the pack team in terms of payroll.

....and Bryce Harper has literally nothing to do with it.

"there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

Quote Originally Posted by jasonbourne View Post
    I was going by this article as to how much the team has left to spend after taking in their horrendous long-term contract situation -- https://aroundthefoghorn.com/2019/10...end-offseason/. It said they have $40 - $50 M to spend. Also, looked at baseball-reference -- https://www.baseball-reference.com/t...ontracts.shtml.

Spending was the old Giants approach. The team looks to finally admit they are rebuilding. It was different going for Bryce Harper in 2019, but I think it had to do what the Harpers were saying. They did their due diligence and ended up passing.

I think the signs point to the Giants continuing to build the farm and use the players that will be coming up and rebuild in 2020. It explains why Bochy wanted to retire, but then not really retiring if the right offer came along.

If you are claiming the Giants will spend the $40 - 50M, the who can they get for the money that have to spend? It would bring the salary levels back to 2019 level.
    I'm just correcting your claim stating the Giants payroll has been coming down to league average. That isn't true.

Of course they'll be watching their spending. Doesn't mean they're going to drop to a middle of the pack team in terms of payroll.

The Gs went after Bryce Harper last season. He would've been a good addition to build around with *LH power* and would've gave some life to the tired Giants off-season playbook. This season would be the same, but they would have to get a cheaper version in the free agent market. Harper is past 25, but still young in terms of the Giants big payroll players. He's someone they could've built around for the next few years.

I'm not sure if there is someone like him in this season's market. From the looks of it, it appears to RH power hitters. It appears it's all guys in their 30s or close to 30 and pitchers. The Gs gambled on older, expensive pitchers and it didn't pay off, so no thanks. Also, we'll have to see about moving the fences in right field in with the bullpen addition. I think the Gs will opt for a LH infielder and solid backup catching for Posey. I've abandoned him playing more of a role at 1B.

I don't blame them for not signing Harper. He would not have made the Giants into a playoff team last year, and it would've made some payroll issues worse here over the next few years.

I think the Giants are an intriguing team to watch this off-season personally. I am curious to see how they navigate the payroll specifically.

I don't blame them for not signing Harper either. I wouldn't have been mad about it by any means either but it was probably best to maintain more payroll flexibility with where this franchise is/was at.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post
    I don't blame them for not signing Harper. He would not have made the Giants into a playoff team last year, and it would've made some payroll issues worse here over the next few years.

I think the Giants are an intriguing team to watch this off-season personally. I am curious to see how they navigate the payroll specifically.
    i hope they fail miserably until the end of time : )

Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    i hope they fail miserably until the end of time : )
    It's the results that count . Not whether one achieved success or not signing Bryce Harper.

also yuck.... another reason to hate the giants because i hated kapler with a passion... this is a win/win for me
    I ****ing told you this would happen.

this would legit be nightmare scenario for me.
    I think we all can agree that no one wants to see this non-sense.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonbourne View Post
    The Phillies had the high payroll and kept missing the playoffs for many years in recent memory. The Giants have had a high payroll, too, but now it has been coming down to league average. Maybe Kapler won't be most accountable manager, but the Giants have done a good job in recent draft selections, so they have some rays of light in the upcoming season. Who knows? They may make the playoffs.
    The Giants had the highest payroll in baseball a few years ago and still missed the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by ciaban2.0 View Post
    The Giants had the highest payroll in baseball a few years ago and still missed the playoffs.
    And what year was that exactly?
    "They throw the ball, I hit it. They hit the ball, I catch it." - Willie Mays

Quote Originally Posted by #24 View Post
    And what year was that exactly?
    I think it was 2017 it was at 210 million just about. I remember because the dodgers were under the luxury tax at like 168.

Quote Originally Posted by ciaban2.0 View Post
    I think it was 2017 it was at 210 million just about. I remember because the dodgers were under the luxury tax at like 168.
    In 2017 the Dodgers had the highest payroll in baseball, the Giants were 7th

The last time the Yankees had the highest payroll was 2013, then the Dodgers held that title from 2014-2017, then in 2018 and 2019 it was the Red Sox (this is in total payroll spent)

The Giants have typically been 5th-7th each year, but in 2018 did get up to second.

In term of OD payroll spent that is.

Lofl

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast