Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
    I knew it! Meanwhile people telling me they're an admirable organization and all this other stuff. NOPE! They're cheats and I've been suspecting it. So glad to see it. MLB needs to come down HARD on them and take away their 2017 championship.
    This isn't the NCAA. They're not taking away their championship.

Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    This isn't the NCAA. They're not taking away their championship.
    No but they can take away their mystique, pride and draft picks. A full year of no picks and no international money sounds about right.

Quote Originally Posted by zookman65 View Post
    No but they can take away their mystique, pride and draft picks. A full year of no picks and no international money sounds about right.
    Completely agree

Yeah, fine them and/or take away some draft picks from them, but don't strip them from their championship.

Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid (13) Ryan HGHoward

Quote Originally Posted by zookman65 View Post
    I agree and my favorite team didnít even lose to them. Maybe an * next to their championship.

Then again, we all know how thatís going to go if we find out more than just them are/were doing it. See the PED era. Itíll be justified by so many that it wonít matter anymore. All we can do is just hope it doesnít happen again.

Quote Originally Posted by thefeckcampaign View Post
    I agree and my favorite team didnít even lose to them. Maybe an * next to their championship.

Then again, we all know how thatís going to go if we find out more than just them are/were doing it. See the PED era. Itíll be justified by so many that it wonít matter anymore. All we can do is just hope it doesnít happen again.
    It's not a good precedence to set for MLB to take away their championship unless fans riot and stop going to games. Or MLB finds that the cheating was egregious like it continued in 2018 and 2019. What would've happened if Astros won game 7?

I don't think stripping their championship will happen as we have not seen any video from 2018 or 2019. So, it appears MLB is stalling for a few weeks until the news cools down and then they'll make its ruling.

Fans can speak up in the court of public opinion and like you said put an "*" next to their championship.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonbourne View Post
    It's not a good precedence to set for MLB to take away their championship unless fans riot and stop going to games. Or MLB finds that the cheating was egregious like it continued in 2018 and 2019. What would've happened if Astros won game 7?

I don't think stripping their championship will happen as we have not seen any video from 2018 or 2019. So, it appears MLB is stalling for a few weeks until the news cools down and then they'll make its ruling.

Fans can speak up in the court of public opinion and like you said put an "*" next to their championship.
    They're not taking away their championship. They don't vacate titles in professional team sports. Neither should they.

Its presumably going to be a historically large fine, suspension of their GM/manager, and loss of draft picks.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonbourne View Post

There is an asterisk next to an Australian sporting club from a few years back. That teams (Essendon) players were all found to have taken a banned substance. When it was investigated, the league fined them $2M, made them ineligible for the Top 8 Finals series in 2013 (Playoffs) and they lost 1st and 2nd Round draft picks in 2013 and 2014 and the person who ran the drug program was banned for life. About 3 years later after further investigation, all 34 players guilty of the doping violations were suspended for two years, which was backdated, so they all missed one full season. One of their players involved in the doping actually won the Brownlow Medal (MVP) in the year they were doping and the medal was stripped from him and handed over to two players who finished joint second for the award. If you were to look at the regular season ladder for 2013, Essendon would be sitting in 9th position (even though they had enough points to finish in 7th) and with a nice "*" next to their name.

Rival fans still call that club Asterisk and always will. Although Houston probably won't have the title vacated, it is tainted.
    Last edited by JHBulls; 11-18-2019 at 02:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JHBulls View Post
    There is an asterisk next to an Australian sporting club from a few years back. That teams (Essendon) players were all found to have taken a banned substance. When it was investigated, the league fined them $2M, made them ineligible for the Top 8 Finals series in 2013 (Playoffs) and they lost 1st and 2nd Round draft picks in 2013 and 2014 and the person who ran the drug program was banned for life. About 3 years later after further investigation, all 34 players guilty of the doping violations were suspended for two years, which was backdated, so they all missed one full season. One of their players involved in the doping actually won the Brownlow Medal (MVP) in the year they were doping and the medal was stripped from him and handed over to two players who finished joint second for the award. If you were to look at the regular season ladder for 2013, Essendon would be sitting in 9th position (even though they had enough points to finish in 7th) and with a nice "*" next to their name.

Rival fans still call that club Asterisk and always will. Although Houston probably won't have the title vacated, it is tainted.
    My guess is that Houston will pay a fine, lose some draft picks, and everyone will move on without too much fuss in the future. We are a pretty forgiving society, particularly when it comes to penalizing bad behavior in sports, either by organizations or the athletes themselves.

College wields the "participation" power by making a team ineligible for bowl games, prohibiting schools from earning associated revenue, or taking away scholarships that are used to recruit the top tier athletes. All of that has even been watered down in recent years. Teams like "Ped" State can still be competitive within a couple seasons after some of the most despicable behavior ever.

I expect the fines and punishments will be heavy relative to previous incidents, but I doubt we'll see anything that would affect the competitive landscape of the sport, or their organization.

Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    Wow. Those numbers are no joke. Some of the comparisons make several of them look like completely different players from one year to the next. The overall strikeout rate is ridiculous - to go from the bottom of the pile to the best in baseball. Geesh.

Yankees were suspect of this before it all came out. There were reports of it during the ALCS. Altuve should 100% lose the MVP he got in 2017 and it should be given to Aaron Judge. Aaron Judge should've been the MVP anyway, but now there's no argument.

If a player is caught using PED's then they're suspended for most of the season and have to miss the playoffs. Only right for a cheating organization to have to forfeit the championship. MLB needs to come down really hard. People just still want to act like the Astros are full of class and a respectable organization so they'll look the other way. MLB better not do that.

Yankees were suspect of this before it all came out. There were reports of it during the ALCS. Altuve should 100% lose the MVP he got in 2017 and it should be given to Aaron Judge. Aaron Judge should've been the MVP anyway, but now there's no argument.
    No Judge shouldnt have been the MVP in 2017 and you dont give it to him retroactively. Even if you want to take into account that the Astros numbers were significantly better in 2017 than 2016, Altuve has been a MVP caliber player going back to 2014.
    Last edited by metswon69; 11-18-2019 at 03:30 PM.

If a player is caught using PED's then they're suspended for most of the season and have to miss the playoffs. Only right for a cheating organization to have to forfeit the championship. MLB needs to come down really hard. People just still want to act like the Astros are full of class and a respectable organization so they'll look the other way. MLB better not do that.
    Funny stuff.

"there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

Manfred on potential discipline: "The general warning I issued to the clubs I stand by. It certainly could be all of those things, but my authority under the major league constitution would be broader than those things as well.Ē

Translation: He has the authority to hammer teams.As the owners' meetings begin, MLB commissioner Rob Manfred addressed the sign-stealing scandal. A few highlights.

As to whether other teams are involved as well, he said: "I have no reason to believe it extends beyond the Astros at this point in time.ĒManfred on the gravity of the allegations against the Astros: ďAny allegations that relate to a rule violation that could affect the outcome of a game or games is the most serious matter. ... We have ... what is going to be a really, really thorough investigation ongoing."
    - Passan

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    He is talking about the one and only, pure trash: Ereck Flowers

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyskilla View Post
    His stern face can give that impression but I don't feel that's the case. New York isn't an easy place to play at, so honestly I can see his confidence at an all-time low for him.

I don't think he's a bust. I think he just needs the right motivation to pick himself up & play harder.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast