Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/a...n-report-says/

You can jump to 2:55 to see Farquar pitching. The Astros banged a trash can whenever a breaking ball would be called for. You can see Farquar call his catcher out at 2:58 when it happened again to change the signs.

The issue here isn't the players stealing signs by a catcher not showing them. It's that they are using a centerfield camera to do it.
    Has anyone actually watched the video?

It’s blatant. Every single time the signal was for a changeup there are 2 banging sounds just before the delivery. Gattis was on every pitch.

As soon as Farquar noticed it and changed signals he struck Gattis out with a changeup.

This is dirty as dirty can be to be using cameras to do this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't worry. He's got this.

The Astros are the sh*tty Patriots of MLB.

Just my opinion, but I think the penalty should be just as stiff as the Braves got for stealing scouting information.

Houston Asterisks

Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    Force them to give back their WS trophy and release all of their elite talent.
    That's absurd. If baseball does that, then I expect extremely thorough investigations into all 30 teams and similar punishment for every other player or team breaking MLB rules. I don't think there's a team in the league that would be comfortable with that happening, your Yankees included.

The Astros absolutely deserve a thorough investigation into the organization and some harsh penalties. Fines. Suspensions. Draft picks. Do it. I'm good with it if it helps clean up the game, and I can comfortably watch my team knowing that they're on the up and up.

But if they only punish the Astros and don't implement rules to really address the root of the problem, then they're not fixing anything. Make sign stealing impossible and create regulations that say "Breaking this rule results in this specific punishment." And don't stop there. Look at cheating beyond just sign stealing and actually implement regulations that prevent it and create punishments for the violators.

This is steroids all over again. If you only punish the individual violators when you're lucky enough to catch them in the act and implement no policies across the sport, then nothing's going to change.

Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    Has anyone actually watched the video?

It’s blatant. Every single time the signal was for a changeup there are 2 banging sounds just before the delivery. Gattis was on every pitch.

As soon as Farquar noticed it and changed signals he struck Gattis out with a changeup.

This is dirty as dirty can be to be using cameras to do this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes, but what's more frustrating is that it happened two years ago and nothing was done about it. That video isn't new. Where's the investigation right after it happened? Where's the sanctions and the institutional changes preventing it from ever happening in the sport ever again?

Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    That's absurd. If baseball does that, then I expect extremely thorough investigations into all 30 teams and similar punishment for every other player or team breaking MLB rules. I don't think there's a team in the league that would be comfortable with that happening, your Yankees included.

The Astros absolutely deserve a thorough investigation into the organization and some harsh penalties. Fines. Suspensions. Draft picks. Do it. I'm good with it if it helps clean up the game, and I can comfortably watch my team knowing that they're on the up and up.

But if they only punish the Astros and don't implement rules to really address the root of the problem, then they're not fixing anything. Make sign stealing impossible and create regulations that say "Breaking this rule results in this specific punishment." And don't stop there. Look at cheating beyond just sign stealing and actually implement regulations that prevent it and create punishments for the violators.

This is steroids all over again. If you only punish the individual violators when you're lucky enough to catch them in the act and implement no policies across the sport, then nothing's going to change.
    I wasn't being serious. They're obviously not taking away a championship lol

Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    https://twitter.com/Sports_Talker1/s...198585857?s=19

Astros 2017 Postseason Home/Road Splits
    Those are great, convenient stats of a small sample size. Let's look at a larger sample size, like I dunno, maybe the 2017 regular season?

Altuve home: .311 BA/.371 OBP/.463 SLG/.834 OPS, 92 hits, 9 homers, 35 RBI
    Altuve road: .381 BA/.449 OBP/ .633 SLG/ 1.082 OPS, 112 hits, 15 homers, 46 RBI

Bregman home: .278 BA/ .343 OBP/ .444 SLG/ .787 OPS, 74 hits, 9 homers, 30 RBI
    Bregman away: .290 BA/ .360 OBP/ .503 SLG/ .863 OPS, 84 hits, 10 homers, 41 RBI

And that's just two players (I'm not going to take the time to do all six). The biggest problem with the narrative that the Astros were hitting significantly better at home than they were on the road due to sign stealing in 2017 is the fact that they were actually a much better road team in 2017. They were 53-28 on the road and 48-33 at home that season—all anyone talked about that season was how they couldn't hit at home for some reason.

Also, the postseason narrative overlooks the fact that it's loud as hell at MMP in the playoffs. Those bangs and whistles might be easy to hear in a regular season game, but how could you consistently hear them in a deafening stadium with 40,000+ screaming fans every night in October?

Again, I'm not debating that this happened or that the Astros deserve no penalty for this. But the level of paranoia after that article came out is getting out of hand. Every at bat and victory and statistic is now suddenly a direct result of them stealing signs with video equipment, with very little evidence to support all of these claims. And that's before getting into the fact that Fiers is the only guy who's gone on the record, a guy with a sketchy past of his own who has a serious axe to grind with the franchise.

Did they do it? Almost certainly. Are they the only team to have done it? Almost certainly not. Does it completely erase any accomplishment they achieved as a team? Hell no.

Those are great, convenient stats of a small sample size. Let's look at a larger sample size, like I dunno, maybe the 2017 regular season?

And that's just two players (I'm not going to take the time to do all six). The biggest problem with the narrative that the Astros were hitting significantly better at home than they were on the road due to sign stealing in 2017 is the fact that they were actually a much better road team in 2017. They were 53-28 on the road and 48-33 at home that season—all anyone talked about that season was how they couldn't hit at home for some reason.

Also, the postseason narrative overlooks the fact that it's loud as hell at MMP in the playoffs. Those bangs and whistles might be easy to hear in a regular season game, but how could you consistently hear them in a deafening stadium with 40,000+ screaming fans every night in October?

Again, I'm not debating that this happened or that the Astros deserve no penalty for this. But the level of paranoia after that article came out is getting out of hand. Every at bat and victory and statistic is now suddenly a direct result of them stealing signs with video equipment, with very little evidence to support all of these claims. And that's before getting into the fact that Fiers is the only guy who's gone on the record, a guy with a sketchy past of his own who has a serious axe to grind with the franchise.

Did they do it? Almost certainly. Are they the only team to have done it? Almost certainly not. Does it completely erase any accomplishment they achieved as a team? Hell no.
    Clearly

CHEATERS!!!! CHEATERS!!!! world series title should be returned to MLB and no winner for that season. manager also fired. Sorry but they should not be aloud to call themselves winners.

I could careless if base runners tip pitches but to actually put a camera out there, have a screen set up in the tunnel and tip the pitches is borderline insane.
    For not honoring a sig bet I now own YEDB90

I mean the playoffs are kinda an important thing in baseball. They lead to that thing called a world series where the best team is crowned. So those are cool regular season numbers, but the playoffs cannot be ignored.
    For not honoring a sig bet I now own YEDB90

Quote Originally Posted by prodigy View Post
    I mean the playoffs are kinda an important thing in baseball. They lead to that thing called a world series where the best team is crowned. So those are cool regular season numbers, but the playoffs cannot be ignored.
    Yes, but they pulled stats from a small sample size of six specific players. We don't even know if those players were specifically benefitting from tipped pitches, or if they were using the system for those players in the postseason. They're just random, convenient stats without evidence to support their significance. That was my point with the regular season numbers—that I can find all kinds of stats to prove my point if I want to. But right now all we have is a few players (only one who's gone on the record) saying the Astros had the system in place. We don't know who benefited from it, when it was used, what at bats it was used for, etc.

Pulling stats right now is completely pointless until more evidence presents itself.

Good points.

"there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

Quote Originally Posted by sonofdad View Post
    Clearly
    Read my previous posts, chief. And maybe actually debate me instead of picking one line of text from 300 words, bolding it and posting a one-word response.

Quote Originally Posted by prodigy View Post
    He didn't say to ignore them. He merely pointed out that they're a tiny sample size and to look at the results for the entire season for a better gauge on the home/road splits (which actually makes a ton of sense).

"there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast