Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 56 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    He didn't say to ignore them. He merely pointed out that they're a tiny sample size and to look at the results for the entire season for a better gauge on the home/road splits (which actually makes a ton of sense).
    Would you rather have a team cheat in the postseason but not regular season or other way around? or does it matter? they cheated lol. Those postseason numbers are striking and should disgust every baseball fan.
    For not honoring a sig bet I now own YEDB90

Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    You know what else is hard to demonstrate? That any of the players listed in that Tweet necessarily benefited from the system, because we have no clue who did or did not use the system, in what circumstances it was used, in what at bats it was used, etc. If you want a true, honest statistical analysis, you kinda need evidence that every player ACTUALLY was benefitting from video sign stealing in every postseason at bat, or at least SOME postseason at bats.

That's the point I'm trying to make. Posting ANY stats right now is pointless, because we have zero evidence as to which players benefited from the system at this point. Home vs. road, regular season vs. postseason, etc. All of it is irrelevant because there's still so much we don't know.
    What you DO have right now is evidence that the team actually employed a video system in an attempt to benefit their offense - a system allegedly augmented by feedback from some of the actual players so as to maximize its effect.

You've posted now many times, showcasing various stats or reasons as to why this is essentially a "non issue". I personally don't think the Astros are alone in their endeavors to achieve a competitive advantage, but it's a completely different stance to suggest this doesn't matter because no one can show evidence of a positive result. Their intent was pretty clear.

Dang! I thought the Astros were a first class organization.

Quote Originally Posted by prodigy View Post
    Would you rather have a team cheat in the postseason but not regular season or other way around? or does it matter? they cheated lol. Those postseason numbers are striking and should disgust every baseball fan.
    The postseason numbers really aren't that striking and sure don't disgust me.

PSD: where the moderators consistently cave to crybaby tattletales and it's a lot safer to be openly racist, hateful, and ignorant than to be a little rude to the racist, hateful, and ignorant

Passan says the penalty from MLB could be like nothing that's been seen in the sport's modern history.

Time to pull out the map and speculate wildly!

PSD: where the moderators consistently cave to crybaby tattletales and it's a lot safer to be openly racist, hateful, and ignorant than to be a little rude to the racist, hateful, and ignorant

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    Whoa

Somebody took some time on this

Are they also suggesting the whistle is part of the signalling?

The Astros culture, which is absolutely win no matter what. Is getting a lot of publicity right now. From the Assistant GM being removed and the teams horrible PR release behind it. To this. I wonder if the charge whistle is coming from an employee in the stands and not from the dugout. I feel an umpire would hear that at some point if it was coming from the dugout.

Quote Originally Posted by turnaround3 View Post
    Passan says the penalty from MLB could be like nothing that's been seen in the sport's modern history.

Time to pull out the map and speculate wildly!
    I doubt they take away their 2017 ship, but to take away 3-to-5 draft picks along with a large monetary fine like $100,000. MLB needs to send a message to other teams that are cheating using technology when it is specifically forbidden in the rules. Now, we are hearing Rod Sox Alex Cora and Mets Carlos Beltran may have designed the system and it's been used afterward.

"Here’s what we know with respect to how the Red Sox factor in the investigation:

The Athletic reported Thursday that “sources said both Cora and (Carlos) Beltrán played a key role in devising the sign-stealing system the team used that season.” Beltran’s final season as a player was 2017, when he was an outfielder and pinch-hitter for the Astros.
    WEEI asked Cora on Thursday about his involvement in the investigation. “I appreciate the question,” Cora said. “… I have talked to MLB and I’ll leave it at that.”
    ESPN’s Jeff Passan reported Thursday “MLB is looking beyond the 2017 Houston Astros and expects to interview those from the 2019 team as well in its sign-stealing investigation, sources tell ESPN. The inquiry also includes multiple personnel from the Boston Red Sox staff. ... MLB, sources told ESPN, spoke Wednesday with former Astros bullpen coach Craig Bjornson, who joined the Red Sox with Cora in 2018, the year they won a World Series."
    The Boston Globe reported Red Sox chief baseball officer Chaim Bloom was asked Wednesday if he had any concerns about Cora’s involvement. “Given that Major League Baseball obviously oversees that, we’re going to just let them do what they need to do and handle it as they see fit,” Bloom said. “It’s not really our place to comment on it.”

Cora left his job as Houston’s bench coach following the 2017 season to become Red Sox manager.

As for Beltran, the former New York Yankees outfielder retired following the 2017 season and is beginning his first year as Mets manager. Both Beltran and Cora studied under AJ Hinch in Houston, meaning there are now three MLB managers caught up in the Astros’ cheating investigation."

https://www.nj.com/yankees/2019/11/m...outputType=amp

It's ironic that the Astros was the team cheated on by the St. Louis Cardinals. Their cheating didn't go as far as what one person in the Cards organization did, but who knows?

As a MLB fan, wouldn't you be upset? It leads to the other questions such as was gambling involved for a team to go to this length in order to cheat when they had one of the top teams? I'm a casual MLB fan now and do not spend any money on MLB stuff unless they change the rules and do more to get blacks back in MLB. Rob Manfred seems to be a weak commissioner, but maybe he'll change people's perceptions with his ruling after the investigation. What do you think?

^^ "I'm a casual MLB fan now and do not spend any money on MLB stuff unless they change the rules and do more to get blacks back in MLB."

Lol wtf?

Quote Originally Posted by jasonbourne View Post
    I'm a casual MLB fan now and do not spend any money on MLB stuff unless they change the rules and do more to get blacks back in MLB. Rob Manfred seems to be a weak commissioner, but maybe he'll change people's perceptions with his ruling after the investigation. What do you think?
    I think you consistently have some of the most inane posts in the MLB forum.

OhSoSlick is offline Formerly RCSownsU - PSDs Sexiest Fireman
    So, it's the MLB's fault that

Youth does not play baseball the way they used to. Basically forcing teams to merge, which hurts the poorer communities.

Hence the decline in ''black'' people in baseball.

Got it.

Not sure what rules are in place that prevent them from playing in the MLB. Guess that rule doesn't apply to the uptick in 'Spanish' players making it to the majors.

By that logic I shouldn't watch the NFL or NBA.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by OhSoSlick; 11-14-2019 at 10:42 PM.
    He is talking about the one and only, pure trash: Ereck Flowers

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyskilla View Post
    His stern face can give that impression but I don't feel that's the case. New York isn't an easy place to play at, so honestly I can see his confidence at an all-time low for him.

I don't think he's a bust. I think he just needs the right motivation to pick himself up & play harder.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    The Astros culture, which is absolutely win no matter what. Is getting a lot of publicity right now. From the Assistant GM being removed and the teams horrible PR release behind it. To this. I wonder if the charge whistle is coming from an employee in the stands and not from the dugout. I feel an umpire would hear that at some point if it was coming from the dugout.
    Lots of Orioles fans are talking about Mike Elias right now. As I said to some on an Orioles only board I frequent at times, you've seen nothing to indicate he is copying the negative aspects. You can even reasonably speculate that Sig Mejdal, who was their AGM/Analytics, was ready to leave baseball completely because of it. He had spent the year up to his resignation from the Astros actually coaching one of the minor league teams trying to merge analytics with coaching (and that's something the Orioles are adopting this year, a new coach specifically for that.) Anyway, part of the argument is that Mejdal came back to baseball because Elias got the job in Baltimore.

In any case, the fact that it is now looking like this was done on the road as well indicates to me that MLB is going to come down hard on the Astros to make an example out of them, so no team wants to try again.

Page 5 of 56 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast