Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Jets @ Redskins

Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Oakland is rated 27th against the pass, FYI.
    Oakland is a team not DOA.

Let's see the masterful Gase dial up a good game plan where Darnold keeps progressing and playing well then.

Why the Jets cynics need to stay away right now
    By Mark Cannizzaro

LANDOVER, Md. — So what if the Redskins stink?

The Jets took care of business Sunday and — while it would be a big green lie to describe it as a work of art — they dispatched the Redskins 34-17 at FedEx Field with relative ease.

The Jets and their beleaguered fans should enjoy this win.

Today is a day for the cynics to stay away.

When you find a $100 bill lying on the street, you don’t ask why it was there; you pick it up, slip it in your pocket and revel in your good fortune.

Sunday’s result gave the 3-7 Jets a two-game winning streak for the first time since they beat the Broncos and Dolphins on Oct. 7 and 14 of last season. That was 20 games ago, and it kept Sam Darnold’s lukewarm playoffs-are-still-possible words from a week ago alive.

For the minute, anyway.

So what if the Jets’ opponent last week, the Giants, looked like the hapless Ray Handley Giants.

The Jets took care of business that day, too, and won one in a row before they made it two in a row on Sunday.

Jets finally steadying ship as confidence quietly grows
    “It’s going to feel even better if we can say back-to-back-to-back wins,’’ tight end Ryan Griffin, who caught five passes for 109 yards and a TD, said. “We’re going to get back to work on Wednesday and hopefully make it three in a row.’’

A team can play only the opponent on its schedule that day.

“Cynics are going to be cynics,’’ linebacker Brandon Copeland told The Post. “At the end of the day, you go out and play whomever you play. You can’t pick your opponent.’’

A phrase coach Adam Gase likes to say to his players is: “So what, now what?’’

Well, now the Jets have a chance to beat a more respectable, if formidable, team on Sunday at MetLife Stadium when they host the Raiders, a talented team that’s in the thick of the AFC West race and in the hunt for a playoff berth.

If the Jets can win that game, they’ll have culled together a three-game winning streak for the first time since Oct. 8 2017, when they beat the Browns after wins over the Jaguars and Dolphins.

That was 31 games ago, a coach and GM regime ago.

NFL players and coaches are always talking about “stacking’’ wins. It’s become one of the popular buzzwords in recent years. The Jets now have stacked two in a row.

So what, now what?

“You look at the past two games, no disrespect to the teams we beat, but they’ve had losing records,’’ left tackle Kelvin Beachum said. “This is a team [the Raiders] that has a winning record, and they’re coming to our place next week.’’

So what, now what?

“Going out against the Raiders next week is going to be huge game,’’ Copeland said. “Obviously, they’re going to be very, very hungry team. We need to take the next step as a team and a culture and be just as hungry.’’

Or hungrier.

The Jets, in a sloppy 1-minute, 34-second stretch of the second quarter after they had taken a 13-0 lead, did their damnedest to out-Redskin the 1-9 Redskins with an interception by Darnold and a fumbled kickoff return by Vyncint Smith.

Those two gaffes led to just three Redskins points because, well, Redskins.

Before the two Jets turnovers, there was a holding penalty and a personal foul by Redskins guard Brandon Scherff on one play that negated a 67-yard Dwayne Haskins Jr. pass play and cost Washington 82 yards in field position.

Later in the first half, when it was still a game, there was Redskins running back Wendall Smallwood running a 3-yard route on third-and-4, leaving Washington to punt the ball away on fourth-and-1.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Here is Cimini's tweet in regards to the meeting of Gase and Darnold

It all started changing for Darnold when, after the Jacksonville disaster, he met with Gase and started telling him how HE wanted the offense to run. #Jets https://t.co/90Xdxgz0IT

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    You can only beat who you play.
    You can also go and beat yourself

**** off. Where's my title

Low hanging fruit is delicious

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Oakland is a team not DOA.

Let's see the masterful Gase dial up a good game plan where Darnold keeps progressing and playing well then.
    Absolutely. I think Oakland is a good test. They are not world beaters but they are in contention for their division so all the games mean something.
    Yes, we are mathematically in it and I am sure guys are thinking like that but right now, we are 3 back. If the chargers win tonight, the Raiders will lead their division.
    We looked good against the skins and Sam played very well.
    Raiders have a good QB. They have good Wrs.
    They have a middle of the road D.

It's actually a really good matchup.

Jets are #1 against the run and that is without Mosley, Williamson and Cashman.

Quote Originally Posted by flfan1943 View Post
    Jets are #1 against the run and that is without Mosley, Williamson and Cashman.
    Yep. Both Mosely and Williamson are solid against the pass and get to the QB. Cashman showed signs of both those things.
    Any combo of those 3 makes our pass D and pass rush better.

No doubt he doesn’t want to be there. It’s all about the tag

Quote Originally Posted by bklynny67 View Post
    Did you also think Mahomes, Watson, and Lamar Jackson wouldn't be special? Cuz that's how many people felt.
    I liked Lamar for many years. Did not like Watson and think he’s overrated
    Mahomes caught me off guard, I don’t recall watching him at all
    I think in that draft I wanted to trade back because I liked guys like Ramczyk, Dalvin Cook, OJ Howard, Peppers, Cam Robinson

Here is Cimini's tweet in regards to the meeting of Gase and Darnold

It all started changing for Darnold when, after the Jacksonville disaster, he met with Gase and started telling him how HE wanted the offense to run. #Jets https://t.co/90Xdxgz0IT
    That’s reassuring...nothing like the QB telling the offensive coordinator what they should be doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
    That’s reassuring...nothing like the QB telling the offensive coordinator what they should be doing.
    It have to admit, it's a great job by Gase to do that. Whether luck was the residue of design or he actually planned this out to some extent, he put a bunch of plays out on the field and let Sam figure out what he likes. Then waited for Sam to know what likes and talk about it.
    I do that with teaching. I give tons of information and theory then let the students find what resinates.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    It have to admit, it's a great job by Gase to do that. Whether luck was the residue of design or he actually planned this out to some extent, he put a bunch of plays out on the field and let Sam figure out what he likes. Then waited for Sam to know what likes and talk about it.
    I do that with teaching. I give tons of information and theory then let the students find what resinates.
    So let me get this straight.... Adam Gase, also known as the QB whisperer, has his QB whispering to him that his offense sucks and he should follow Darnold's lead.

Gase got Manning'd again.

Quote Originally Posted by MrX27 View Post
    So let me get this straight.... Adam Gase, also known as the QB whisperer, has his QB whispering to him that his offense sucks and he should follow Darnold's lead.

Gase got Manning'd again.
    Lol

There's always that.
    Step in enough ****, you'll eventually find a rose

I agree with Gase's approach. Good coaches adept their systems to the abilities of the players they have not the other way around. Its was not so long ago the QB called his own plays.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast