Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Alonso wins ROY

Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Your unreliable data doesnt make it any more true than my lying eyes.
    There is a song in there somewhere.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    What are you basing that on, exactly?

Because thatís not true from my view.

Unless you are using his poor UZR range numbers from 2019 that look like an outlier until proven otherwise. His DRS was still pretty strong and he was excellent defensively overall in 2018.
    They are changing how DRS are being calculated.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

He's not going to hit more than 53 homers but he very might become a better hitter.
    When Alonso properly adjusts to off speed pitching, he could become a bigger power threat as long as his swing doesnít become elongated.

Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    There is a song in there somewhere.
    I was too lazy to post the YouTube video of the Eagles last night.
    Last edited by fanofclendennon; 11-13-2019 at 09:55 AM.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears Ė but they seem kinda sensible...."

Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    When Alonso properly adjusts to off speed pitching, he could become a bigger power threat as long as his swing doesnít become elongated.
    It's not as one-dimensional as that. You don't hit 53 home runs if you haven't adjusted to off speed pitches. Starting in the second half, he went into stretches where he became pull happy and home run happy. His left side was flying open and he was flailing all over the place. Read: His swing became elongated. Yes.

And then he would pull it together again.

The key was that short compact swing we saw early in the season where he didn't try to do too much but in effect did a heck of a lot of damage. Maybe he hits more home runs that way? I don't know. What's more important is that he becomes a tougher out. If he's a tougher out the home runs will come, naturally, without the flailing. That's what I want to see more of.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears Ė but they seem kinda sensible...."

No. You're underrating him. Good range. Good hands, accurate arm, great scoops but occasionally -- occasionally not often -- would stray too far on grounders. He was much better than just ok. He was a defensive asset.
    No, you've got your blinders on again. You're the same guy who says Amed Rosario was "excellent" defensively in the second half. Pete's range wasn't great. He has sub-par instincts. His glove is fine, but that's a prerequisite to play the position; being able to handle a throw in the dirt is what makes someone a first baseman. If he couldn't do that, we'd need someone else to man the bag.

I concur with the assessment that Murphy was a better 1B than Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeGamer81 View Post
    No, you've got your blinders on again. You're the same guy who says Amed Rosario was "excellent" defensively in the second half. Pete's range wasn't great. He has sub-par instincts. His glove is fine, but that's a prerequisite to play the position; being able to handle a throw in the dirt is what makes someone a first baseman. If he couldn't do that, we'd need someone else to man the bag.

I concur with the assessment that Murphy was a better 1B than Pete.
    Quick off the ball, covered a lot of ground, and I learned the other day he led the league in scoops. I didn't have blinders as much as you had preconceived notions. The only problem I could see with Pete is he tended to range too far at times. But he'll fix that.

The Mets always have awful defense so itís hard to remember what good defense looks like...

Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    The Mets always have awful defense so itís hard to remember what good defense looks like...
    2006?

He is good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't worry. He's got this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    2006?
    For sure. But actually looking at the defensive numbers for the Mets over the years, theyíve really only been bad the last 3 seasons for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    2006?
    Thatís 13 seasons ago...long time

Quote Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
    Thatís 13 seasons ago...long time
    Especially in dog years.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456