Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Brian Urlacher Has Zero Sympathy for the Bears Defense.

The Chicago Bears offense has been the primary focal point of anger from fans through most of this 2019 season. However, some people arenít willing to take the defense off the hook just because theyíve performed to a higher level. One of those people is Brian Urlacher. The Hall of Fame middle linebacker understandably has a high level of expectation for Bears defenses. He carried that torch for his entire career and knows there is a certain standard for that side of the ball in this town.

So when he spoke with Waddle & Silvy about the state of the Bears, he didnít quite jump on the wagon in taking shots at the offense. His annoyance was instead directed at the defense. His reasoning wasnít all that crazy either.

ďMost of the money has been spent on defense. Correct? All Iím saying is itís easy to point at Mitch. Itís easy to point at the offense. Iíll say this, I know most of the guys on that defense and they all say, ĎWe got to play better on defense.í Because if you have the lead in the 4th quarter and the other team has the football, youíre expected to win that game, in my opinion. That was our mentality. If we were on the field, no matter where we were on the fieldÖwe were going to make them kick a field goal.

Weíre not going to lose the lead and that was the situation. It was Oakland in London. Same thing. We were up (21-17), they go down and score a touchdown. I know we turned the ball over on offense against San Diego but still had a chance to win the game by holding them to a field goal.

Even after all that, Mitch drives us down at the end of the game and we have a chance to win the game with a field goal. So as bad as you want to pain the picture that Mitch is, heís not that badÖSo I want to go back to this. All that money is on defense.Ē

Brian Urlacher is correct about the Bears defense

The defense has been good this year, at least in the stat column. However, that can be misleading. The truth is this unit seems to have lost its killer instinct. Why that is remains a mystery. Maybe itís switching to Chuck Pagano as defensive coordinator. Maybe itís the loss of Akiem Hicks to IR. Either way, this unit has struggled way more often than they did last year. Often at the worst times too.

They allowed a 97-yard drive in London against the Raiders in the 4th quarter to lose a 24-21 lead. They defended a 16-10 lead in the 4th against the Chargers two weeks ago and game up the go-ahead touchdown with just minutes left. Now even though the Bears won the game, they again looked far too generous. Jeff Driskel, a career backup who hadnít practiced all week leading up to the game, hung a career-high 267 yards passing with a touchdown on them. This in addition to 37 yards rushing.

That touchdown came in? You guessed it. The 4th quarter. Urlacher is absolutely right. This defense is paid way too much money to be performing at what is frankly an average level.
    https://sportsmockery.com/2019/11/br...bears-defense/

A Bears HOFer speaks, your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by I don't care. View Post
    https://sportsmockery.com/2019/11/br...bears-defense/

A Bears HOFer speaks, your thoughts?
    The defense was awesome against GB and Minny. Very good against Washington and Denver though they had stretches where they struggled. The last 5 games they have been nowhere near what we expected. And there is no way you can pin that all on Hicks being out, we didnít have him against Minny and we were great. It all comes down to the push from the line and pash rush and we have had none of that the last 5 weeks. The pressure on the QB last year led to most of the turnovers, now its gone. No more nastiness, no more intimidation. And you canít blame that all on the offense being so bad when we start games giving up long drives. The defense has slipped big time.

I like Urlacher because he was an awesome player, but this is a stupid take.

If the defense was playing at an average level we would be winless.

Quote Originally Posted by DamnGoat View Post
    lol

I thought that it was interesting coming a respected defensive player who never saw eye to eye with Cutler and who usually sides with the defense.

Look, I'm sure he has a better inside scoop than any of us on the current Bears roster and the locker room in general.

You may not like the "take", but it would have to carry some weight.

I know that most fans have written Mitch off, but clearly not all of them, including HOF players.

lol

I thought that it was interesting coming a respected defensive player who never saw eye to eye with Cutler and who usually sides with the defense.

Look, I'm sure he has a better inside scoop than any of us on the current Bears roster and the locker room in general.

You may not like the "take", but it would have to carry some weight.

I know that most fans have written Mitch off, but clearly not all of them, including HOF players.
    It hasn't been an average defense though. It's still a top 10 unit. Those weren't his words, but placing blame on this defense, this season, is just silly.

I don't see how anyone could look at this team objectively and not say the offense is the biggest problem. I don't really care about their playing credentials. A lot of former greats say stupid ****.
    Last edited by DamnGoat; 11-11-2019 at 03:11 PM.

It hasn't been an average defense though. It's still a top 10 unit.

I don't see how anyone could look at this team objectively and not say the offense is the biggest problem. I don't really care about their playing credentials. A lot of former greats say stupid ****.
    I 100% believe that the Defense is a strength. I 100% believe that the offense is the weakest.

That's not how I took Urlacher's comment.

I took it as the Defense is the strength and they shouldn't allow the opposing team drive the field in the last few minutes of the game and win.

I get that they've been on the field the longest and are tired. The offense should be able convert 3rd downs and let them rest.

Urlacher never states that this defense is average, so I'm not sure were you're getting that from.

I 100% believe that the Defense is a strength. I 100% believe that the offense is the weakest.

I took it as the Defense is the strength and they shouldn't allow the opposing team drive the field in the last few minutes of the game and win.

I get that they've been on the field the longest and are tired. The offense should be able convert 3rd downs and let them rest.

Urlacher never states that this defense is average, so I'm not sure were you're getting that from.
    Yeah thatís how I took it. The offense is obviously the biggest problem, but the defense hasnít lived up to the expectations. The swag is gone for sure.

What exactly is stupid about it, he isnít stroking their johnsons saying how awesome they have been. The last 5 weeks they have dropped significantly from early this season and last seasons level.

His take is pretty silly, but thereís some truth to the ďthey ainít scoringĒ mentality that we seem to have lost.

But, they arenít the problem, so who cares? Lol

What do these hall of famers know, much smarter and more qualified people in here commenting

Quote Originally Posted by Salvaged Ship View Post
    What do these hall of famers know, much smarter and more qualified people in here commenting
    Being a HOFer doesnít mean heís necessarily logical in his takes.

Quote Originally Posted by debo View Post
    Being a HOFer doesnít mean heís necessarily logical in his takes.
    Or smarter than you.

Chicago Bears #23
    Kyle "Cheetah" Fuller

When it comes to being more knowledgeable about football I will take the hall of famer every time over chat room geeks

No, he didn't say the defense was average. Whoever wrote the article did. I get what he's saying, but I don't agree with it. Of all the things to nitpick, the defense is pretty low on the list.

Even with regression, or allowing drives at the end of halves/games, they've been #8 in DVOA while the offense has been bottom 5. Just feels like an unnecessary comment, if anything.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast