Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Bill Simmons: Curry 24th all-time, Kawhi 25th

Bill Simmons recently started the Book of Basketball 2.0 podcast. In the third episode, he ranks Stephen Curry 24th all time, followed by Kawhi Leonard.
    Thoughts? Are these two guys top-25 already? Where do you think they end up ultimately?

I think Kawhi's headed for top-10 status, as long as his body holds up. I could see Curry reaching top 15, considering he'll keep drilling big shots until he's 40.

Too much recency bias and the watered down offensive game is pushing too many recent guys higher then they should be.

It's like the juiced balls in baseball, the nba rules just water down the game offensively.

Quote Originally Posted by mrblisterdundee View Post
    I think Kawhi's headed for top-10 status, as long as his body holds up. I could see Curry reaching top 15, considering he'll keep drilling big shots until he's 40.
    Where is Kobe ranked? Do you see either surpassing them?

Quote Originally Posted by Vallejo Raiders View Post
    Where is Kobe ranked? Do you see either surpassing them?
    Looks like Kobe was eighth when his original rankings came out in 2010. LeBron was 20th then and has obviously passed Kobe up, so that would make him ninth now. I think Kawhi has a shot, if he keeps winning championships. But he needs to stop moving around and get some continuity.

Kawhi is a great player but if your taking 20 games off every season then you canít be considered a top 10 player of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by lakerfan85 View Post
    Kawhi is a great player but if your taking 20 games off every season then you canít be considered a top 10 player of all time.
    Steve Ballmer will pay every media member 10 million dollars each to get Kawhi into the top 10. BANK ON THAT!

Quote Originally Posted by lakerfan85 View Post
    If he wins several more rings he absolutely will be.

Quote Originally Posted by TrueFan420 View Post
    If he wins several more rings he absolutely will be.
    I think he gets 1 more and then injuries will start to catch up to him in a couple of seasons.

Bill Simmons recently started the Book of Basketball 2.0 podcast. In the third episode, he ranks Stephen Curry 24th all time, followed by Kawhi Leonard.
    Thoughts? Are these two guys top-25 already? Where do you think they end up ultimately?
    I wouldn't put curry this high but that's just me. Kawhi I can understand but he really needs like 2 more seasons like his last 4 to shoot up that list to top 10 where I think he ends up.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

Seems like a lot of guys think Kawhi will end up top 10. He really needs an MVP on his resume to get that high doesn't he? And with his maintenance schedule is an MVP really a possibility? I mean no way he can get one only playing 60 games without doing something absolutely insane on a per game basis statistically.

Rippin' lips son!!

Kawhi is going to be an interesting historical case. Statsitcslly, he really doesnt have the pedigree. He started his career slowly statistically. He's not had a ton of massive years. He's only been 1st team all nba twice and 2nd team once. He's never won an MVP. Given his load management schedule, it's probably fairly likely he doesn't win an mvp and may not add a ton more 1st team all nba spots. He has the playoff pedigree, so that will help. But historically, he will not stack up from an awards and recognition or statistics standpoint. I wonder if he's a guy that moves up while he's playing but he slowly slides back down after he's retired.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZNC View Post
    Seems like a lot of guys think Kawhi will end up top 10. He really needs an MVP on his resume to get that high doesn't he? And with his maintenance schedule is an MVP really a possibility? I mean no way he can get one only playing 60 games without doing something absolutely insane on a per game basis statistically.
    How do you weigh Finals MVPs, which Kawhi has two of, against regular season MVPs? Seems to me Kawhi would have a lot more MVPs if they were based on playoff performance, when games matter more and load management goes out the window. Championships are the ultimate goal in the NBA, and nobody's better at bringing them home than LeBron, Kevin and Kawhi.

FYI: Curry should have one that first Finals MVP over Iguodala in 2015.

hmm, the 2 posts above me are making me rethink my claim that KL may end up top 10. I think you guys bring up a good point (JAZZNC/crewfan13). While his dominance is no question, to end up top 10-20 ever, you need to compile some major numbers, or at least win an MVP(s) like Bird did for example. I am not sure we will ever be able to point to KL as THE best in the game, and while a player like Kobe has the same thing in his career, he did win an MVP, and has the numbers.

Curry will absolutely end up top 20, his career numbers will dictate it, he has an MVP, etc. KL, is going to be an awesome debate 10 years from now I think. And I am not sure either side will be right/wrong. He started slow due to system and need for development, and his load management will make sure he never enters the top 10 in anything statistically. But, his playoff numbers might, and don't people weight that more heavily?

Long story short, Simmons is caught up in the moment, and while both will likely end up top 20 without question, you will always get flack for trying to shove high all time rankings down fans throats when those players are like 30.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

How do you weigh Finals MVPs, which Kawhi has two of, against regular season MVPs? Seems to me Kawhi would have a lot more MVPs if they were based on playoff performance, when games matter more and load management goes out the window. Championships are the ultimate goal in the NBA, and nobody's better at bringing them home than LeBron, Kevin and Kawhi.

FYI: Curry should have one that first Finals MVP over Iguodala in 2015.
    Finals MVPs need more context, they are the subject of at most 7 games, not 82. And frankly, his 1st MVP seemed a bit hollow, he averaged like 18 a game and it was more of a team effort isolating LeBron and forcing his teammates to fail too. That Spurs team was the best TEAM I have ever seen play, starting game 4 against Dallas. Nobody was beating them. It was kind of a, "well, he averaged the most and guarded LeBron well, so he wins it". Now, his 2nd MVP was a no brainer.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.