Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Results 1 to 15 of 25

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    10,471

    Why general news threads were closed

    Quote Originally Posted by mariner4life View Post
    I prefer quality over quantity. IMO it seems more unorganized and clumsy in here.
    You find it more organized to have one thread with multiple conversations going on within it?
    Or is it just that this is different than you're used to....

    If you think it's easy running forums like this that means one thing....you've never run forums like this.
    After all, what is the point of forums if not to generate as much traffic and discussion on them as possible?
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    3,042
    Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    You find it more organized to have one thread with multiple conversations going on within it?
    Or is it just that this is different than you're used to....

    If you think it's easy running forums like this that means one thing....you've never run forums like this.
    After all, what is the point of forums if not to generate as much traffic and discussion on them as possible?
    Well donít put words in my mouth. I never said it was easy. Iím sure itís difficult and a lot of work. Not sure weíre that came from. I have a slight preference for the way it was. Just my opinion.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    10,471
    Quote Originally Posted by mariner4life View Post
    Well donít put words in my mouth. I never said it was easy. Iím sure itís difficult and a lot of work. Not sure weíre that came from. I have a slight preference for the way it was. Just my opinion.
    Don't get bunched up, it was just reminding me almost verbatim of a situation I had with forums on my own sports site at one time.
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    In a crib
    Posts
    34,160
    Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    Don't get bunched up, it was just reminding me almost verbatim of a situation I had with forums on my own sports site at one time.
    Your own sports site?

    Your baby can't do this

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    10,471
    Quote Originally Posted by jaydubb View Post
    Your own sports site?
    I've been running my own fantasy game site for years- not the typical, the main game is a stock simulation. Years ago I put it in my sig here, but since I have a Pick'em and at the time so did PSD, they made me remove it. My forums are simply not active, that's why I'm here...just need an investor. If you'd like to check it out, PM me (unless a mod tells me it's OK to mention the name)
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    57,305
    Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    You find it more organized to have one thread with multiple conversations going on within it?
    Or is it just that this is different than you're used to....

    If you think it's easy running forums like this that means one thing....you've never run forums like this.
    After all, what is the point of forums if not to generate as much traffic and discussion on them as possible?
    I just want to second here:
    The decision was to get the forum more active by having discussion worthy news have to be in their own threads. This was one of the few places that I've noticed (and others) that news was getting lumped into on thread and being buried and/or confused with other discussions.

    The last two that cause the closure was posting that JJ Watt was out for the season and Leonard Williams was traded. So you got one of the top names in the NFL done for the season and a starter traded, and they would have become buried in that thread. To give an idea what another site's news section looks like:


    Right there alone is 5 threads worth of news that we either don't have or got buried because a few posters are deciding to make a mockery of the fact that we want more threads so there's more active discussion so more lurkers will feel like they want to join in on the commentary. And FWIW there's another 9 threads beyond what I pictured that have commentary less than 1 week old on the first page that, again, we don't have.

    At the time we closed down that thread, the 3 most active threads were a week old Eagles v Cowboys GDT, a week and a half old Giants v Patriots game, and the NFC East thread. Now we got about 6-7 threads that are getting commentary in them daily, are getting more people involved, and conversations stay on track.

    So by all means, if we want this place to continue to lose members, to continue seeing the same 4-5 threads pop up every 3-4 weeks on the same 2-3 topics with it centering around the same 2-3 fan bases; we can continue to do so. If we want to be back at a spot where early and late game threads needed to be split, we had fans of a majority of teams represented, and we have very active conversations, these changes need to happen.

    Deal with it. We aren't going back to a way of operating where we lost members.

    (Sorry SiteWolf, none of this is directed at you, rather a tag to everything)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    19,472
    Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    I just want to second here:
    The decision was to get the forum more active by having discussion worthy news have to be in their own threads. This was one of the few places that I've noticed (and others) that news was getting lumped into on thread and being buried and/or confused with other discussions.

    The last two that cause the closure was posting that JJ Watt was out for the season and Leonard Williams was traded. So you got one of the top names in the NFL done for the season and a starter traded, and they would have become buried in that thread. To give an idea what another site's news section looks like:


    Right there alone is 5 threads worth of news that we either don't have or got buried because a few posters are deciding to make a mockery of the fact that we want more threads so there's more active discussion so more lurkers will feel like they want to join in on the commentary. And FWIW there's another 9 threads beyond what I pictured that have commentary less than 1 week old on the first page that, again, we don't have.

    At the time we closed down that thread, the 3 most active threads were a week old Eagles v Cowboys GDT, a week and a half old Giants v Patriots game, and the NFC East thread. Now we got about 6-7 threads that are getting commentary in them daily, are getting more people involved, and conversations stay on track.

    So by all means, if we want this place to continue to lose members, to continue seeing the same 4-5 threads pop up every 3-4 weeks on the same 2-3 topics with it centering around the same 2-3 fan bases; we can continue to do so. If we want to be back at a spot where early and late game threads needed to be split, we had fans of a majority of teams represented, and we have very active conversations, these changes need to happen.

    Deal with it. We aren't going back to a way of operating where we lost members.

    (Sorry SiteWolf, none of this is directed at you, rather a tag to everything)
    As a former mod, this is my only real issues with it:

    1. A lot of threads are already getting buried and I'm not sure that it's going to drive more traffic here when you're getting to a point that you have to scroll a ton to find a thread to post in.

    2. It seems like a half hearted attempt by mods to generate traffic because on the other hand almost every single week there's no morning/afternoon game threads until a normal poster makes it on Sunday mornings. Even then, mods aren't sticking those threads. Until last year, it was highly prioritized that things like the morning/afternoon GDT's be posted and stickied no later than the Thursday before the games so that it could generate discussion long before kickoff.

    I know how hard and time consuming it was before I stepped down, and I'm sure it's not any easier now.... It just seems a bit disingenuous to say the move to lock that thread is to generate more traffic when such a vital weekly thread in the NFL main has been lacking. That's all.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    57,305
    Quote Originally Posted by mgjohnson7851 View Post
    As a former mod, this is my only real issues with it:

    1. A lot of threads are already getting buried and I'm not sure that it's going to drive more traffic here when you're getting to a point that you have to scroll a ton to find a thread to post in.

    2. It seems like a half hearted attempt by mods to generate traffic because on the other hand almost every single week there's no morning/afternoon game threads until a normal poster makes it on Sunday mornings. Even then, mods aren't sticking those threads. Until last year, it was highly prioritized that things like the morning/afternoon GDT's be posted and stickied no later than the Thursday before the games so that it could generate discussion long before kickoff.

    I know how hard and time consuming it was before I stepped down, and I'm sure it's not any easier now.... It just seems a bit disingenuous to say the move to lock that thread is to generate more traffic when such a vital weekly thread in the NFL main has been lacking. That's all.
    Then create a thread in the general questions area on it. TT has expressed a few times why, has admitted that we are short on mods and TM's.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    57,305
    Quote Originally Posted by mgjohnson7851 View Post
    on the other hand almost every single week there's no morning/afternoon game threads until a normal poster makes it on Sunday mornings. Even then, mods aren't sticking those threads.
    Part of the truth here from my end, I've been dealing with some personal stuff, and I'm either at work or at the hospital. Almost any mod work I do is from a phone because of this and PSD is blocked at my work computer. Hughest is one of the other mods in the NFL main. We're working on getting mod powers to someone that's been making a few and TM powers to another to help solve the issue.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    19,472
    Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    Part of the truth here from my end, I've been dealing with some personal stuff, and I'm either at work or at the hospital. Almost any mod work I do is from a phone because of this and PSD is blocked at my work computer. Hughest is one of the other mods in the NFL main. We're working on getting mod powers to someone that's been making a few and TM powers to another to help solve the issue.
    I'm sorry to hear that and I hope things improve man! I don't think it should be all on you though. Like you said, Hughest is around and there's Rush and TT that are capable of helping in the NFL main because they probably know better than anyone how short staffed the NFL main is. I mean we haven't had a TM for years in there. But that's my problem. The NFL main gets ignored until they see something in the random thoughts thread that shouldn't be there. Then the NFL main posters get a finger waved at us disapprovingly for a little bit until it's back to being ignored.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Annapolis MD
    Posts
    16,755
    Quote Originally Posted by mgjohnson7851 View Post
    As a former mod, this is my only real issues with it:

    1. A lot of threads are already getting buried and I'm not sure that it's going to drive more traffic here when you're getting to a point that you have to scroll a ton to find a thread to post in.

    2. It seems like a half hearted attempt by mods to generate traffic because on the other hand almost every single week there's no morning/afternoon game threads until a normal poster makes it on Sunday mornings. Even then, mods aren't sticking those threads. Until last year, it was highly prioritized that things like the morning/afternoon GDT's be posted and stickied no later than the Thursday before the games so that it could generate discussion long before kickoff.

    I know how hard and time consuming it was before I stepped down, and I'm sure it's not any easier now.... It just seems a bit disingenuous to say the move to lock that thread is to generate more traffic when such a vital weekly thread in the NFL main has been lacking. That's all.
    The posts that are moving down the newsworthy ones are the ones that are being created to troll this decision. Otherwise, this has worked exactly as I thought it would, and even factored in some of the trolling as well.

    I spent two years throwing warnings into that thread, plenty of time for people to change their habits, but it didn't, so that thread is gone, and by the looks of things, we aren't missing it.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    19,472
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post
    The posts that are moving down the newsworthy ones are the ones that are being created to troll this decision. Otherwise, this has worked exactly as I thought it would, and even factored in some of the trolling as well.

    I spent two years throwing warnings into that thread, plenty of time for people to change their habits, but it didn't, so that thread is gone, and by the looks of things, we aren't missing it.
    But yet the NFL main has been less active the last 2 days, and I have yet to see a lurker decide to join and post. Not saying anything would be different with the random news thread, just saying the results haven't been what you hoped they'd be either.

    At some point you've gotta care more about the posters that are here rather than worrying about the ones that aren't. A bird in the hand... So to speak.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Annapolis MD
    Posts
    16,755
    Quote Originally Posted by mgjohnson7851 View Post
    But yet the NFL main has been less active the last 2 days, and I have yet to see a lurker decide to join and post. Not saying anything would be different with the random news thread, just saying the results haven't been what you hoped they'd be either.

    At some point you've gotta care more about the posters that are here rather than worrying about the ones that aren't. A bird in the hand... So to speak.
    You also need to give this idea some time to work. Just because something is implemented doesn't mean it is going to take off instantly. This forum wasn't opened way back in 2004 and immediately started producing thousands of posts a day.

    I ran the NFL forum for two years until I replaced SI, and I did that without any sort of catch all thread in the main forum aside from the NFC East threads that popped up. There isn't a need for discussion to be hidden like that in a high traffic forum, especially after two years worth of warnings to watch out for it.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    85,538
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post
    The posts that are moving down the newsworthy ones are the ones that are being created to troll this decision. Otherwise, this has worked exactly as I thought it would, and even factored in some of the trolling as well.

    I spent two years throwing warnings into that thread, plenty of time for people to change their habits, but it didn't, so that thread is gone, and by the looks of things, we aren't missing it.
    Wait, you seriously think what I am doing is trolling? Like legit, I can't win. I'm doing what you asked and you find a way to belittle it. Thanks, real cool.

    #DingerSZN
    #AllenWatch
    End of Season Stats
    .542AVG/.562OBP/.889SLG/1.451OPS/21RBIs/3Dingers(1 grand slam)
    Selected to All-Conference Team
    Selected First Team All-District Team
    Selected First Team All-Region Team
    Verbal Commitment to State Fair Community College

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Annapolis MD
    Posts
    16,755
    Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    Wait, you seriously think what I am doing is trolling? Like legit, I can't win. I'm doing what you asked and you find a way to belittle it. Thanks, real cool.
    You know what is threadworthy and what isn't. This isn't a giant guessing game. When I was the main moderator in the NFL forum until I replaced SI, I ran that forum without any sort of catch all threads and we had no complaints about it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •