Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by surf and turf View Post
    Maybe this conversation needs itís own thread

Why general news threads were closed

Moving this conversation here.

Quote Originally Posted by mgjohnson7851 View Post
    on the other hand almost every single week there's no morning/afternoon game threads until a normal poster makes it on Sunday mornings. Even then, mods aren't sticking those threads.
    Part of the truth here from my end, I've been dealing with some personal stuff, and I'm either at work or at the hospital. Almost any mod work I do is from a phone because of this and PSD is blocked at my work computer. Hughest is one of the other mods in the NFL main. We're working on getting mod powers to someone that's been making a few and TM powers to another to help solve the issue.

As a former mod, this is my only real issues with it:

1. A lot of threads are already getting buried and I'm not sure that it's going to drive more traffic here when you're getting to a point that you have to scroll a ton to find a thread to post in.

2. It seems like a half hearted attempt by mods to generate traffic because on the other hand almost every single week there's no morning/afternoon game threads until a normal poster makes it on Sunday mornings. Even then, mods aren't sticking those threads. Until last year, it was highly prioritized that things like the morning/afternoon GDT's be posted and stickied no later than the Thursday before the games so that it could generate discussion long before kickoff.

I know how hard and time consuming it was before I stepped down, and I'm sure it's not any easier now.... It just seems a bit disingenuous to say the move to lock that thread is to generate more traffic when such a vital weekly thread in the NFL main has been lacking. That's all.
    The posts that are moving down the newsworthy ones are the ones that are being created to troll this decision. Otherwise, this has worked exactly as I thought it would, and even factored in some of the trolling as well.

I spent two years throwing warnings into that thread, plenty of time for people to change their habits, but it didn't, so that thread is gone, and by the looks of things, we aren't missing it.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post
    The posts that are moving down the newsworthy ones are the ones that are being created to troll this decision. Otherwise, this has worked exactly as I thought it would, and even factored in some of the trolling as well.

I spent two years throwing warnings into that thread, plenty of time for people to change their habits, but it didn't, so that thread is gone, and by the looks of things, we aren't missing it.
    But yet the NFL main has been less active the last 2 days, and I have yet to see a lurker decide to join and post. Not saying anything would be different with the random news thread, just saying the results haven't been what you hoped they'd be either.

At some point you've gotta care more about the posters that are here rather than worrying about the ones that aren't. A bird in the hand... So to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    Firstly, there were things being posted in that thread that were deserving of their own, but not all of them.
    Secondly, the basic coding for the original post for a game day thread can be made available. I mean, I've done a few in the Vikings forum and time to put it together can be the deterrent....which goes away if all I have to do is tweak some coding.
    Thirdly, forums in general are harder and harder to keep active and forum software hasn't necessarily kept up with today's needs. If I'm on a smartphone, navigation can be an issue. I know a lot of you use apps like Tapatalk, but not all do or want to.

Running sites like this is an ongoing fluid thing. Changes for change sake don't work, but neither does knocking changes made attempting to improve things. Maybe, as in team forums, there should be a small news catch-all thread, but a conscious effort made to NOT post news in there that would generate a decent amount of coverage....and if someone does, a mod can split it out to its own thread, the software is capable of that.
    The main reason I stepped down was because I knew I wouldn't have the time to make the game day threads. I know they take a lot of work.

My point about the GDT threads is purely to the mods response that they're trying to create more activity in the forum by closing the random thoughts thread. No one should believe them when something as simple as the morning/afternoon game thread isn't being made. And these ones are the easiest of the bunch to make.

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    Part of the truth here from my end, I've been dealing with some personal stuff, and I'm either at work or at the hospital. Almost any mod work I do is from a phone because of this and PSD is blocked at my work computer. Hughest is one of the other mods in the NFL main. We're working on getting mod powers to someone that's been making a few and TM powers to another to help solve the issue.
    I'm sorry to hear that and I hope things improve man! I don't think it should be all on you though. Like you said, Hughest is around and there's Rush and TT that are capable of helping in the NFL main because they probably know better than anyone how short staffed the NFL main is. I mean we haven't had a TM for years in there. But that's my problem. The NFL main gets ignored until they see something in the random thoughts thread that shouldn't be there. Then the NFL main posters get a finger waved at us disapprovingly for a little bit until it's back to being ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post

Wait, you seriously think what I am doing is trolling? Like legit, I can't win. I'm doing what you asked and you find a way to belittle it. Thanks, real cool.

#DingerSZN
    #AllenWatch
    End of Season Stats
    .542AVG/.562OBP/.889SLG/1.451OPS/21RBIs/3Dingers(1 grand slam)
    Selected to All-Conference Team
    Selected First Team All-District Team
    Selected First Team All-Region Team
    Verbal Commitment to State Fair Community College

Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    Wait, you seriously think what I am doing is trolling? Like legit, I can't win. I'm doing what you asked and you find a way to belittle it. Thanks, real cool.
    You know what is threadworthy and what isn't. This isn't a giant guessing game. When I was the main moderator in the NFL forum until I replaced SI, I ran that forum without any sort of catch all threads and we had no complaints about it.

But yet the NFL main has been less active the last 2 days, and I have yet to see a lurker decide to join and post. Not saying anything would be different with the random news thread, just saying the results haven't been what you hoped they'd be either.

At some point you've gotta care more about the posters that are here rather than worrying about the ones that aren't. A bird in the hand... So to speak.
    You also need to give this idea some time to work. Just because something is implemented doesn't mean it is going to take off instantly. This forum wasn't opened way back in 2004 and immediately started producing thousands of posts a day.

I ran the NFL forum for two years until I replaced SI, and I did that without any sort of catch all thread in the main forum aside from the NFC East threads that popped up. There isn't a need for discussion to be hidden like that in a high traffic forum, especially after two years worth of warnings to watch out for it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12