Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Why general news threads were closed

Quote Originally Posted by mariner4life View Post
    I prefer quality over quantity. IMO it seems more unorganized and clumsy in here.
    You find it more organized to have one thread with multiple conversations going on within it?
    Or is it just that this is different than you're used to....

If you think it's easy running forums like this that means one thing....you've never run forums like this.
    After all, what is the point of forums if not to generate as much traffic and discussion on them as possible?
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    You find it more organized to have one thread with multiple conversations going on within it?

If you think it's easy running forums like this that means one thing....you've never run forums like this.
    After all, what is the point of forums if not to generate as much traffic and discussion on them as possible?
    Well donít put words in my mouth. I never said it was easy. Iím sure itís difficult and a lot of work. Not sure weíre that came from. I have a slight preference for the way it was. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by mariner4life View Post
    Well donít put words in my mouth. I never said it was easy. Iím sure itís difficult and a lot of work. Not sure weíre that came from. I have a slight preference for the way it was. Just my opinion.
    Don't get bunched up, it was just reminding me almost verbatim of a situation I had with forums on my own sports site at one time.

Don't get bunched up, it was just reminding me almost verbatim of a situation I had with forums on my own sports site at one time.
    Your own sports site?

Your baby can't do this

I just want to second here:
    The decision was to get the forum more active by having discussion worthy news have to be in their own threads. This was one of the few places that I've noticed (and others) that news was getting lumped into on thread and being buried and/or confused with other discussions.

The last two that cause the closure was posting that JJ Watt was out for the season and Leonard Williams was traded. So you got one of the top names in the NFL done for the season and a starter traded, and they would have become buried in that thread. To give an idea what another site's news section looks like:

Right there alone is 5 threads worth of news that we either don't have or got buried because a few posters are deciding to make a mockery of the fact that we want more threads so there's more active discussion so more lurkers will feel like they want to join in on the commentary. And FWIW there's another 9 threads beyond what I pictured that have commentary less than 1 week old on the first page that, again, we don't have.

At the time we closed down that thread, the 3 most active threads were a week old Eagles v Cowboys GDT, a week and a half old Giants v Patriots game, and the NFC East thread. Now we got about 6-7 threads that are getting commentary in them daily, are getting more people involved, and conversations stay on track.

So by all means, if we want this place to continue to lose members, to continue seeing the same 4-5 threads pop up every 3-4 weeks on the same 2-3 topics with it centering around the same 2-3 fan bases; we can continue to do so. If we want to be back at a spot where early and late game threads needed to be split, we had fans of a majority of teams represented, and we have very active conversations, these changes need to happen.

Deal with it. We aren't going back to a way of operating where we lost members.

(Sorry SiteWolf, none of this is directed at you, rather a tag to everything)

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    The decision was to get the forum more active by having discussion worthy news have to be in their own threads. This was one of the few places that I've noticed (and others) that news was getting lumped into on thread and being buried and/or confused with other discussions.

The last two that cause the closure was posting that JJ Watt was out for the season and Leonard Williams was traded. So you got one of the top names in the NFL done for the season and a starter traded, and they would have become buried in that thread. To give an idea what another site's news section looks like:

Right there alone is 5 threads worth of news that we either don't have or got buried because a few posters are deciding to make a mockery of the fact that we want more threads so there's more active discussion so more lurkers will feel like they want to join in on the commentary. And FWIW there's another 9 threads beyond what I pictured that have commentary less than 1 week old on the first page that, again, we don't have.

At the time we closed down that thread, the 3 most active threads were a week old Eagles v Cowboys GDT, a week and a half old Giants v Patriots game, and the NFC East thread. Now we got about 6-7 threads that are getting commentary in them daily, are getting more people involved, and conversations stay on track.

So by all means, if we want this place to continue to lose members, to continue seeing the same 4-5 threads pop up every 3-4 weeks on the same 2-3 topics with it centering around the same 2-3 fan bases; we can continue to do so. If we want to be back at a spot where early and late game threads needed to be split, we had fans of a majority of teams represented, and we have very active conversations, these changes need to happen.

The keyword though is ďdiscussion worthyĒ. I agree, I should have made a thread about JJ, that was t done for any other reason than I was busy at the gym and just wanted to get the news out there. If this place had a few more active mods, that would help. If someone posts something in the wrong place, help, donít ***** and complain. Not directing that at you. I probably get *****ed at the most and probably post more per day than anyone. Thatís what turns people away.

News worthy and discussion worthy are different is the point. Iíd use PM, but donít get responses. And when does substance of activity come in to play?

I could post something newsworthy for every team, but that would bury the discussion worthy topics. If thatís what we want, Iím happy to comply. Anything to help improve this place, Iím all for it.

Quote Originally Posted by jaydubb View Post
    Your own sports site?
    I've been running my own fantasy game site for years- not the typical, the main game is a stock simulation. Years ago I put it in my sig here, but since I have a Pick'em and at the time so did PSD, they made me remove it. My forums are simply not active, that's why I'm here...just need an investor. If you'd like to check it out, PM me (unless a mod tells me it's OK to mention the name)

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post

As a former mod, this is my only real issues with it:

1. A lot of threads are already getting buried and I'm not sure that it's going to drive more traffic here when you're getting to a point that you have to scroll a ton to find a thread to post in.

2. It seems like a half hearted attempt by mods to generate traffic because on the other hand almost every single week there's no morning/afternoon game threads until a normal poster makes it on Sunday mornings. Even then, mods aren't sticking those threads. Until last year, it was highly prioritized that things like the morning/afternoon GDT's be posted and stickied no later than the Thursday before the games so that it could generate discussion long before kickoff.

I know how hard and time consuming it was before I stepped down, and I'm sure it's not any easier now.... It just seems a bit disingenuous to say the move to lock that thread is to generate more traffic when such a vital weekly thread in the NFL main has been lacking. That's all.

Quote Originally Posted by mgjohnson7851 View Post

1. A lot of threads are already getting buried and I'm not sure that it's going to drive more traffic here when you're getting to a point that you have to scroll a ton to find a thread to post in.

2. It seems like a half hearted attempt by mods to generate traffic because on the other hand almost every single week there's no morning/afternoon game threads until a normal poster makes it on Sunday mornings. Even then, mods aren't sticking those threads. Until last year, it was highly prioritized that things like the morning/afternoon GDT's be posted and stickied no later than the Thursday before the games so that it could generate discussion long before kickoff.

I know how hard and time consuming it was before I stepped down, and I'm sure it's not any easier now.... It just seems a bit disingenuous to say the move to lock that thread is to generate more traffic when such a vital weekly thread in the NFL main has been lacking. That's all.
    Bingo, but letís blame the JJ watt in the news thread...

Then create a thread in the general questions area on it. TT has expressed a few times why, has admitted that we are short on mods and TM's.

Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    Bingo, but letís blame the JJ watt in the news thread...
    I mean the NFL main forum hasn't had a TM in years and I know it's been basically impossible to find one. I just take issue with the stance that they're trying to make it more active by closing that thread when something simple like making the Sunday afternoon threads a couple days early, isn't getting done.

I mean the NFL main forum hasn't had a TM in years and I know it's been basically impossible to find one. I just take issue with the stance that they're trying to make it more active by closing that thread when something simple like making the Sunday afternoon threads a couple days early, isn't getting done.
    I, for one, have volunteered repeatedly.

Firstly, there were things being posted in that thread that were deserving of their own, but not all of them.
    Secondly, the basic coding for the original post for a game day thread can be made available. I mean, I've done a few in the Vikings forum and time to put it together can be the deterrent....which goes away if all I have to do is tweak some coding.
    Thirdly, forums in general are harder and harder to keep active and forum software hasn't necessarily kept up with today's needs. If I'm on a smartphone, navigation can be an issue. I know a lot of you use apps like Tapatalk, but not all do or want to.

Running sites like this is an ongoing fluid thing. Changes for change sake don't work, but neither does knocking changes made attempting to improve things. Maybe, as in team forums, there should be a small news catch-all thread, but a conscious effort made to NOT post news in there that would generate a decent amount of coverage....and if someone does, a mod can split it out to its own thread, the software is capable of that.

Maybe this conversation needs itís own thread

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast