Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Quote Originally Posted by leftymo View Post
    This game exposed the offense. They're relying on undrafted players and 2nd-7th round disappointments mostly (aside from Deebo, Sanders, Coleman). Breida, Bourne, Wilson, Mostert, Taylor, Hurd, Pettis, James.. They are not big time players that make big time plays.
    This team, even though they're 8-1, is still not a finished product. They spent the majority of their draft capital on the defensive side of the ball and we're seeing the dividends of that paying off. Now, they have to turn their attention to the offensive side. I still think Hurd can be a big time player because of his versatility and size, but they have to start getting top tiered talent whether its a receiver, running back or offensive line.

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastSportz View Post
    This team, even though they're 8-1, is still not a finished product. They spent the majority of their draft capital on the defensive side of the ball and we're seeing the dividends of that paying off. Now, they have to turn their attention to the offensive side. I still think Hurd can be a big time player because of his versatility and size, but they have to start getting top tiered talent whether its a receiver, running back or offensive line.
    I'll take a running back and receiver. Defense is good. That line is ridiculous. A little too quick for their own good. Misdirection killed them.

Sanders is 32, we need to bring in a younger sure handers receiver

QB-Lock
    RB-Montgomery
    WR-AJ Brown, Hakeem Butler
    TE-TJ Hockenson
    Edge-Allen
    LB-Devon White, Blake Cashman
    CB-Joejuan Williams
    S-Dieonte Thompson

Some inury updates.

Blair torn ACL out for the year.

Staley fractured finger, out a few weeks.

Kittle's injury is a little more serious.

Sanders is not considered serious.
    It's time to start winning right?

Playoffs and Championship droughts...

SF 49ers - 5 years no playoffs, 24 years no championship
    LA Lakers - 6 years no playoffs, 9 years no championship
    LA Kings - 1 year no playoffs, 5 years no championship
    SF Giants - 2 years no playoffs, 5 years no championship

I do like the philosophy of Lynch handling the defense, and Kyle handling the O. They've spent a lot of high end draft capital on defensive players, but they've also spent a chunk of change on offense as well. (2nd round picks WRs, McGlinchey, etc..)

Prior to this off-season I would've argued that Kyle was doing great, and Lynch needed improvement. That has switched now. Lynch has done great, Kyle needs improvement.

Shanahan/Lynch have invested draft picks on WRs (Taylor, Pettis, James, Deebo, and Hurd). It usually takes WRs a few years to develop. We've seen flashes from all of these guys at times, but a lack of consistency. It also doesn't help that the most NFL ready in the group has been injured the past two years. If I were Shanahan/Lynch I would re-sign Emmanuel Sanders to a short-term deal (shouldn't be too bad due to his age), continue to develop the young WRs that we have, and invest the first round pick on an offensive lineman. I would also cut Marquise Goodwin (use that cap space towards Sanders).

Quote Originally Posted by Lakers211221 View Post
    Shanahan/Lynch have invested draft picks on WRs (Taylor, Pettis, James, Deebo, and Hurd). It usually takes WRs a few years to develop. We've seen flashes from all of these guys at times, but a lack of consistency. It also doesn't help that the most NFL ready in the group has been injured the past two years. If I were Shanahan/Lynch I would re-sign Emmanuel Sanders to a short-term deal (shouldn't be too bad due to his age), continue to develop the young WRs that we have, and invest the first round pick on an offensive lineman. I would also cut Marquise Goodwin (use that cap space towards Sanders).

I know you've long been a proponent of this 3 years to develop but its essentially baseless statement that dismisses or excuses poor performance, doesn't it?

Nobody is saying its going to take Deebo a few years to develop. Everyone already knows the guy can play. Yes, he will be better in year three, but I've stated that talent generally shows itself from the outset.

Kyle just bashed his 2nd year WR again, and threatened to reduce his playing time.

DJ Chark was ok last year, he's great this year, a bonafide #1 WR.

Julio Jones rookie season 900+ yards, 8 TDs
    AJ Green 1000+ yards, 7 TDs
    Amari Cooper 1000+ yards, 6 TDs
    Mike Evans 1000+ yards, 12 TD's
    Jerry Rice 900+ yards, 3 TDs
    Terrell Owens 500+ yards, 4 TDs (he had 900+ yds, 8 TDs in year 2)
    Anquan Boldin 1300+, 8 TDs

I could keep going but you'l have to find successful WR's that struggled in years 1/2. Chris Carter might be your only evidence.

I know you've long been a proponent of this 3 years to develop but its essentially baseless statement that dismisses or excuses poor performance, doesn't it?
    No, it's a pretty well established idea within the football community. Do some players look great immediately? Of course, but only some, not all.

Thats also not to say that you can't see writing on the wall in year 2, but you can't close a book then either. Jordy Nelson is a good example.
    Last edited by RedandGold_35; 11-13-2019 at 02:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedandGold_35 View Post
    No, it's a pretty well established idea within the football community. Do some players look great immediately? Of course, but only some, not all.

Thats also not to say that you can't see writing on the wall in year 2, but you can't close a book then either. Jordy Nelson is a good example.
    When it comes to Pettis, it seems like hes just not interested. Hes talented but doesnt seem to always put out the effort needed. Then you have Deebo who isnt nearly as talented but has the will and the drive to be great. You dont keep giving chances to lazy players like Pettis imo.

QB-Lock
    RB-Montgomery
    WR-AJ Brown, Hakeem Butler
    TE-TJ Hockenson
    Edge-Allen
    LB-Devon White, Blake Cashman
    CB-Joejuan Williams
    S-Dieonte Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by rapjuicer06 View Post
    When it comes to Pettis, it seems like hes just not interested. Hes talented but doesnt seem to always put out the effort needed. Then you have Deebo who isnt nearly as talented but has the will and the drive to be great. You dont keep giving chances to lazy players like Pettis imo.
    On Pettis I would agree, I think next year if Hurd has a strong camp and Sanders returns, he's a very likely cut.

The Seahawks putting 6 guys up on the LOS really ****ed up our gameplan. Staley and McGlinchey were awful, Goodwin needed to be cut weeks ago, Pettis just seems to not care, Bourne gets open but tries to make stuff happen before he has the ball secured. The WRs are a problem as they were during the Harbaugh years. Jimmy had a lot of misfires.

Itís inexcusable to lose a game when you hold Russell Wilson to 3 points in regulation on drives that didnít come off a turnover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nobody is saying its going to take Deebo a few years to develop. Everyone already knows the guy can play. Yes, he will be better in year three, but I've stated that talent generally shows itself from the outset.

Kyle just bashed his 2nd year WR again, and threatened to reduce his playing time.

DJ Chark was ok last year, he's great this year, a bonafide #1 WR.

Julio Jones rookie season 900+ yards, 8 TDs
    AJ Green 1000+ yards, 7 TDs
    Amari Cooper 1000+ yards, 6 TDs
    Mike Evans 1000+ yards, 12 TD's
    Jerry Rice 900+ yards, 3 TDs
    Terrell Owens 500+ yards, 4 TDs (he had 900+ yds, 8 TDs in year 2)
    Anquan Boldin 1300+, 8 TDs

I could keep going but you'l have to find successful WR's that struggled in years 1/2. Chris Carter might be your only evidence.
    Of course there are exceptions (and most of the guys that you named were high picks), but it's generally true that WRs don't "pop" until 2-3 years in the league, especially guys who were not drafted high. Chris Godwin is a good example. He showed some flashes as a rookie, play well in year two, and now is tearing it up in year three.

Quote Originally Posted by Greedy22 View Post
    The Seahawks putting 6 guys up on the LOS really ****ed up our gameplan.
    Yes and no. Their game plan only worked because Kittle was out and Sanders left early. Jimmy hung 10 points on the two drives with Sanders. Seattle isn't the first team that has employed this strategy, but it hasn't worked in the past because Jimmy could check down to Kittle. Arizona did the same thing and Jimmy threw 4 TDs. Also, if you take the drops away, Jimmy throws for 70+ percent completion, close to 400 yards and at least 2 TDs (probably more) and no interceptions. Lack of consistency from the young WRs lost that game more than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by RedandGold_35 View Post

So is the fact that the average NFL player plays 4 years. So is your theory is that it takes 3 years to figure out if a player can play, and by year 4 they are out of the league?

I don't need another year of Dante Pettis. I know what he is. Likewise, you probably can say the same about Trent Taylor.

On the defensive side, I'd agree that Armstead did take time to develop, and coincidentally is beasting in a contract year, but injuries slowed him down early.

Jimmie Ward? Eh. He's had two fantastic games over his entire 49ers career. I think he's regressed a bit in the last two games.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakers211221 View Post
    Of course there are exceptions (and most of the guys that you named were high picks), but it's generally true that WRs don't "pop" until 2-3 years in the league, especially guys who were not drafted high. Chris Godwin is a good example. He showed some flashes as a rookie, play well in year two, and now is tearing it up in year three.
    Well in context then... Pettis? I don't need evidence in year 2 or 3 to tell me Deebo will be good. I actually posted it in pre-season.

Likewise, I could tell Pettis can't play in year 1, year 2 just is more supportive evidence. I'm wondering if Hurd's physical play was too physical for his own good. He basically ended his season in the preseason.

But by your logic or rationale, we will really see what Pettis is made of next year? Can I hold you and Red to that?

What about Richie James?

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456