Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by otatop View Post
    That math isn't right and I've seen nothing saying that Bum would have demanded $15MM more from the Giants (or other California based teams).

"there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    That math isn't right and I've seen nothing saying that Bum would have demanded $15MM more from the Giants (or other California based teams).
    IF we do just home games with deferred salary he is getting 14M per year
    so 7M for home games
    Difference in tax rate is 8.76% so $613,200 per year or $3,066,000 over 5 years without a cost of living adjustment. Even a 1M a year difference to spend 6 months in SF would cover COL so 6M would easily make him whole over 5 years or about 2M a year if the Giants also deferred money.
    "He's getting the best job in baseball."

Bruce Bochy sent a clear message to whoever will be the Giants' next manager
    🙌
    https://bit.ly/2ndI9eG

Losing bum hurts! That's all I can really say about it. Our pitching staff is gonna struggle, and there is no guarantee Cueto will be the Cueto we once knew.

AZ press conference: https://youtu.be/5mIAHNWawMg

Apparently Bumgarner left money on the table to join the D'Backs.

Instead, the Diamondbacks found themselves again hosting a December introduction for a new star pitcher in their interview room on Tuesday. Again, it was a pitcher who gushed about his love for the area. But this time, it was 30-year-old left-hander and Giants postseason hero Madison Bumgarner. Despite a career spent in cream and orange, Bumgarner long had his eye on coming to Phoenix. He always loved spending spring training here, to the point that he and his wife occasionally brought out their horses from North Carolina for the two-month stay. He likes Arizona so much that he told his agent, Ed Cerulo of VC Sports, that the Diamondbacks were “the number-one place for me.”

He got what he wanted. “It just feels like where I’m supposed to be,” Bumgarner said.

Bumgarner felt the pull of the desert so strongly, in fact, he gave the Diamondbacks quite the sweetheart deal. USA Today reported Tuesday that rival teams were told Bumgarner had at least two offers worth at least $100 million over five years, but the big lefty signed for the Diamondbacks for five years and just $85 million. While Bumgarner didn’t confirm the existence of a nine-figure offer from another team, he confirmed he didn’t follow the dollar signs. “We definitely left some money on the table,” Bumgarner added. “You can say that.” Additionally, $15 million of his $85 million, $5 million each from his 2021-23 salaries, is deferred until after his deal is completed.
    https://theathletic.com/1469374/2019....co/mvJZ28JZNZ
    Last edited by Rush; 12-18-2019 at 06:03 AM. Reason: PSD can only allow a snippet of paid subscription articles. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    Apparently Bumgarner left money on the table to join the D'Backs.

https://theathletic.com/1469374/2019....co/mvJZ28JZNZ
    It would had been nice if we at least offered a competitive offer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#MakeAmericaPeeAgain

They did offer nearly the same amount of AAV. If they even made the same offer it now seems doubtful he would've accepted.

Quote Originally Posted by downsos View Post
    It would had been nice if we at least offered a competitive offer.

Indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rush View Post
    They did offer nearly the same amount of AAV. If they even made the same offer it now seems doubtful he would've accepted.
    Agreed. Anyone who thinks this wasn't competitive is crazy. The same AAV minus the extra year, which by the way, was the right move. A lot of people are saying the Giants are low balling him. If they signed him to the same deal people would be outraged in year 5 when he is 35-36 years old and struggling and then to top it off gets the Bobby Bo treatment in years 6,7 and 8 when he more than likely isn't on the team any longer. Could you imagine if d=he decided to keep playing past the 5th year, signed with another team in the division and then came to your home, beats you and you are paying him 5 million???????

It's a bad deal.
    -toGether-

".....honor the game the game honors you..don’t know where and when it ends, but tonight I was proud to be together as a team, in a hostile environment, with just us..brothers that play for the name on the front, not the name on the back.”

-Hunter Pence 2012 NLDS

Quote Originally Posted by clarkfn2284 View Post
    Agreed. Anyone who thinks this wasn't competitive is crazy. The same AAV minus the extra year, which by the way, was the right move. A lot of people are saying the Giants are low balling him. If they signed him to the same deal people would be outraged in year 5 when he is 35-36 years old and struggling and then to top it off gets the Bobby Bo treatment in years 6,7 and 8 when he more than likely isn't on the team any longer. Could you imagine if d=he decided to keep playing past the 5th year, signed with another team in the division and then came to your home, beats you and you are paying him 5 million???????

It's a bad deal.
    Not matching the AZ contract isn't the slam dunk good decision you are so sure of. You very well may end up being correct but I think it's a very reasonable contract.

*and he won't ever be older than 35 through the life of the 5 year deal

Quote Originally Posted by downsos View Post
    Going to be real easy to get tickets to games next season. Team won't be any good and they're letting go of anyone the fans like.

I see what you're saying, but to be honest making moves to sell tickets is what got them into being the train wreck they've been the last 3 years. I'm glad they're not making decisions that way anymore and sticking to their plan even if it's unpopular.

If you removed the name bumgarner from the equation, and this was just some other pitcher with the same age, stats and contract I wouldn't be interested at all. I don't fault them for letting him walk. Paying a 30 year old pitcher 5/85 doesn't seem to make much sense when the team is not that close to being good. By the time we may be, bumgarner will be 32 or 33 and I don't have confidence he will be super productive at that time. Based on his road stats since 2018 I am not even sure what kind of pitcher Arizona is getting at this point.

Losing the name and memory hurts, but I can see the reason. Yes 5/85 is reasonable. But I'm not mad about it. It's not just the money but it's the roster spot being tied up in year 3, 4 and 5 (when we should be contending for a playoff spot and more if farhan does his job) that you have to think about also.

That said, they better reinvest that money into younger free agents over the next year or two, or buying more assets by eating other teams bad deals. Otherwise it just comes off as being cheap. The giants will have close to a clean payroll in a few years, with a building farm system, so that should be the time to spend.
    Last edited by rcs15; 12-19-2019 at 04:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rcs15 View Post
    I see what you're saying, but to be honest making moves to sell tickets is what got them into being the train wreck they've been the last 3 years. I'm glad they're not making decisions that way anymore and sticking to their plan even if it's unpopular.

If you removed the name bumgarner from the equation, and this was just some other pitcher with the same age, stats and contract I wouldn't be interested at all. I don't fault them for letting him walk. Paying a 30 year old pitcher 5/85 doesn't seem to make much sense when the team is not that close to being good. By the time we may be, bumgarner will be 32 or 33 and I don't have confidence he will be super productive at that time. Based on his road stats since 2018 I am not even sure what kind of pitcher Arizona is getting at this point.

Losing the name and memory hurts, but I can see the reason. Yes 5/85 is reasonable. But I'm not mad about it. It's not just the money but it's the roster spot being tied up in year 3, 4 and 5 (when we should be contending for a playoff spot and more if farhan does his job) that you have to think about also.

That said, they better reinvest that money into younger free agents over the next year or two, or buying more assets by eating other teams bad deals. Otherwise it just comes off as being cheap. The giants will have close to a clean payroll in a few years, with a building farm system, so that should be the time to spend.
    Well said, sir.

Quote Originally Posted by rcs15 View Post

My problem with it is these signings wouldn't kill us. Letting Pillar go for nothing when we could had kept him for a year and cutting his *** if he ends up sucking wouldn't had hurt. Would Bums contract look bad after year 3? Probably, maybe even sooner. But damn it sucks to see him go. And it also wouldn't shock me if in years 4 and 5 he's an overpaid end of the rotation guy that isn't killing you while also not helping out a ton. But nostalgia isn't what's killed this team. It's trading prospects for vets that aren't good. It's shelling out big contracts for guys like Shark who are at best the 3rd best pitcher at signing.

I just feel like they're going for an all or nothing approach when they can rebuild and still keep popular players around. This teams not going to be good for a few years. If this team needs 3 years to rebuild and be a contender is this current regime going to get it if people aren't showing up? Owners can handle mediocrity. They can't handle losing money.

#MakeAmericaPeeAgain

I've had no problem with the Shark contract since day 1. Though it is pretty ****ed up that he got a larger contract than Bumgarner in retrospect.

My thing is I'm just not interested in investing time and money into this team when they're not going to be good and are just going to ship off the players I like if they start performing well again. I'm not talking about every player. They have the money to see guys like Bum retire a Giant while rebuilding. Does anybody think that Buster is going to finish as a Giant because I don't.

#MakeAmericaPeeAgain

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast