Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 80
  1. #46
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    39,075
    Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    ....but a fifth year at $5MM would have killed it for you?

    I'd've rather given more AAV to not go the fifth year because I don't think he'll be worth the money by the end of it, but I wouldn't have hated this deal if they signed him to it. It was much less than I was expecting.

  2. #47
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    39,075
    I'm sure going to miss seeing him. Just wish he signed out of the division.

  3. #48
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Golden 1 Center
    Posts
    82,288
    Glad the Giants stayed away. I'll take the comp pick. At least it's not LA...


    Fire Luke Walton


  4. #49
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    45,872
    I pegged you for a response such as that....and would agree if the contract was another $40MM+ or so.

    "there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

  5. #50
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    13,304
    It's a sad day.

    ^^WE NEED THESE GUYS NOW.

  6. #51
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Golden 1 Center
    Posts
    82,288
    Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    I pegged you for a response such as that....and would agree if the contract was another $40MM+ or so.
    A big reason why the Giants are awful is that they were too loyal to their own guys. Signing Bum would have been another mistake.


    Fire Luke Walton


  7. #52
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Cheyenne, Wyoming
    Posts
    27,461
    Quote Originally Posted by sf1giantfan View Post
    The guys in charge are not Giant fans, that's the problem. Whats stupid is they are going to be losing a lot more money by not having fans in the seats because of this move.
    This, but also why would someone like Castellanos or really any notable FA sign here right now? Hey everybody better show up to see Gausman pitch. If he's any good we're going to trade him so do it while you can.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk


    #MakeAmericaPeeAgain

  8. #53
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    45,872
    Quote Originally Posted by sacgiants1213 View Post
    A big reason why the Giants are awful is that they were too loyal to their own guys. Signing Bum would have been another mistake.
    My thoughts on this has nothing to do with loyalty. Bumgarner at 5/$85MM is a solid deal for a reliable innings eater. The history he has with this team would have just been a bonus.

    "there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

  9. #54
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Golden 1 Center
    Posts
    82,288
    Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    My thoughts on this has nothing to do with loyalty. Bumgarner at 5/$85MM is a solid deal for a reliable innings eater. The history he has with this team would have just been a bonus.
    I'm just giving my reasoning.


    Fire Luke Walton


  10. #55
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    45,872
    Fair enough.

    "there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

  11. #56
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    7,062
    Losing one of the greatest pitchers the Giants have ever had in this recent era is truly heartbreaking. Iím thoroughly disgusted and disappointed that this new regime thought a 30 year old postseason god of a player, fan favorite, competitive as all get out, CHAMPIONSHIP winning pitcher, not worthy of an extremely fair 5 year/85 million dollar deal. Were not the ****ing Aís for Godís sake. This is the San Francisco Giants. Of all teams the ability is there to reward such a deserving player.

    Iím not saying throw a bunch of 150 million dollar 10 year contracts around anymore for undeserving players or free agents. This was originally a homegrown phenom, who still has pretty quality stuff, that was able to lock back in some this season (after back to back injury plagued years), who the fans LOVE (he was one of the players I enjoyed watching most), and they let him go because itís a rebuild? With who? Whoís in the pipeline? What are they doing with this extra 17 million a year they save?

    This man generated revenue, put fans in the seats, and competed his butt off. Now you let him walk for a reasonable price to a division rival? You know how much moaning and groaning theyíre going to hear from us fans every time Arizona comes to town? Keep some of the lore and good feelings youíve generated from all the fans youíve gained over all these years by keeping this one player who meant so much. This man should have played a majority if not all of his career with the Giants. Extremely letdown doesnít suffice to describe such a weak and odd move.
    Last edited by Alleyeson49; 12-16-2019 at 03:25 AM.

  12. #57
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    7,062
    Quote Originally Posted by downsos View Post
    going to be real easy to get tickets to games next season. Team won't be any good and they're letting go of anyone the fans like.


    Sent from my ipad using tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by spliff(tone) View Post
    that contract should have been matched by the giants with minimal hesitation.
    Quote Originally Posted by spliff(tone) View Post
    yeah, it's really not a bad price by any stretch of the imagination. Seems like an absolute bargain compared to wheeler.
    Quote Originally Posted by spliff(tone) View Post
    ****ing pathetic. Easily the most disappointing move (or non-move) the giants have made both this off-season and in a long time.
    Quote Originally Posted by #24 View Post
    very disappointed that the giants didn't/couldn't/wouldn't match or even better that offer, which wasn't exactly exorbitant. Don't know if bum feels slighted, but as a fan i'm insulted. I can understand a new regime taking a new-broom-sweeps-clean approach. But that they wouldn't top that offer is sure to alienate lots of fans. Bum was a giants legend, and far from washed up at 30 y/o.

    But, examples like this are why i've lost interest in baseball (sports in general) the past several years. The number nerds, while maybe well-intentioned, are undermining the fun of the game. All to seek that one iota of 1% for any (perceived) competitive edge they can get. Everything is about extracting the extra buck and increasing profits. Sadly, same as everything else in the world.

    I love the game of baseball, i appreciate the skill & talent and root for great players. I don't care about business, or rooting for skilled accountants. Baseball (sports), once an escape from our everyday dog-eat-dog daily grind world, is now just another part of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by sf1giantfan View Post
    the guys in charge are not giant fans, that's the problem. Whats stupid is they are going to be losing a lot more money by not having fans in the seats because of this move.
    Quote Originally Posted by spliff(tone) View Post
    i think matching that offer would have been enough even.
    Quote Originally Posted by rush View Post
    i'm sure going to miss seeing him. Just wish he signed out of the division.
    Quote Originally Posted by sf1giantfan View Post
    it's a sad day.
    Quote Originally Posted by downsos View Post
    this, but also why would someone like castellanos or really any notable fa sign here right now? Hey everybody better show up to see gausman pitch. If he's any good we're going to trade him so do it while you can.


    Sent from my ipad using tapatalk
    All. Of. This.

  13. #58
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    45,872
    Quote Originally Posted by Alleyeson49 View Post
    Losing one of the greatest pitchers the Giants have ever had in this recent era is truly heartbreaking. Iím thoroughly disgusted and disappointed that this new regime thought a 30 year old postseason god of a player, fan favorite, competitive as all get out, CHAMPIONSHIP winning pitcher, not worthy of an extremely fair 5 year/85 million dollar deal. Were not the ****ing Aís for Godís sake. This is the San Francisco Giants. Of all teams the ability is there to reward such a deserving player.

    Iím not saying throw a bunch of 150 million dollar 10 year contracts around anymore for undeserving players or free agents. This was originally a homegrown phenom, who still has pretty quality stuff, that was able to lock back in some this season (after back to back injury plagued years), who the fans LOVE (he was one of the players I enjoyed watching most), and they let him go because itís a rebuild? With who? Whoís in the pipeline? What are they doing with this extra 17 million a year they save?

    This man generated revenue, put fans in the seats, and competed his butt off. Now you let him walk for a reasonable price to a division rival? You know how much moaning and groaning theyíre going to hear from us fans every time Arizona comes to town? Keep some of the lore and good feelings youíve generated from all the fans youíve gained over all these years by keeping this one player who meant so much. This man should have played a majority if not all of his career with the Giants. Extremely letdown doesnít suffice to describe such a weak and odd move.

    "there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

  14. #59
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Southeast Asia
    Posts
    3,394
    Quote Originally Posted by sacgiants1213 View Post
    A big reason why the Giants are awful is that they were too loyal to their own guys. Signing Bum would have been another mistake.
    All or most of us here understand that, and I could agree with you to a point. I've often ranted myself about the team overpaying with loyalty contracts. But this is Bum we're talking, and this is a fair and reasonable contract he got which will take him to only 35 y/o. Not like we're talking Bonilla, Pujols or Miggy contracts here. Bum even as an average pitcher would be worth that money. Next year, less accomplished FA pitchers will likely make more.

    There's a certain nihilistic method these stats & analytic guys use that bothers me. They think tearing everything concerning the game down into its binary coded essence is new, modern, and [obviously] better. They cast away the long-established accepted mores of the game, and dismiss it as old time baseball for old fashioned thinkers.

    They look to rebuild the game in a way that they think it should be - and expect the fans will be 100% on board because they have determined what the fans should like and accept. Snobbery, and elitism at its best. We've seen it here on PSD with casual fans mocked, belittled, criticized as not real fans because they have a different opinion, or are less knowledgable about the game.

    And in the end, the joke is on all of us. Because... It's all - and only - about money. It's never about the good of the game (or fans). Only about earning larger profits.
    "They throw the ball, I hit it. They hit the ball, I catch it." - Willie Mays

  15. #60
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    6,083

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •