Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 136 to 150 of 344
  1. #136
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    32,592
    Quote Originally Posted by likemystylez View Post
    decent point- but that kinda makes it scary to have a top pick in this draft. There is a stronger than usual chance of absolute misses in the top 10 picks.

    As far as the guy pushing mello ball- He might be the one player in the draft where his draft value is based almost 100% on Hype generated by his own marketing team LOL. the guy isnt competing with other draft prospects and there is no way to know if he is even physically ready to contribute to an NBA team.
    True. But that's why the tryouts are so critical.

    I've watched some LaMelo games, he's definitely got NBA skills, the BS thing is a problem, and his lack of defense and what his attitude may be is what makes me shy away from him, but he can absolutely play the game.

  2. #137
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    21,033
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    True. But that's why the tryouts are so critical.

    I've watched some LaMelo games, he's definitely got NBA skills, the BS thing is a problem, and his lack of defense and what his attitude may be is what makes me shy away from him, but he can absolutely play the game.
    I dont think a single work out and some measurements at a combine are as good as watching a guy compete against the same talent as his peers for 30+ games. Seeing how he adjusts when he gets trippled by a team full of future nba players. Seeing how he responds after a bad shooting game, how he competes when he is in foul trouble. This is stuff you arent going to get from a couple pages of notes from the combine or from watching a guy run some sprints and shoot some jump shots in an empty gym.

  3. #138
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    32,592
    Quote Originally Posted by likemystylez View Post
    I dont think a single work out and some measurements at a combine are as good as watching a guy compete against the same talent as his peers for 30+ games. Seeing how he adjusts when he gets trippled by a team full of future nba players. Seeing how he responds after a bad shooting game, how he competes when he is in foul trouble. This is stuff you arent going to get from a couple pages of notes from the combine or from watching a guy run some sprints and shoot some jump shots in an empty gym.
    Well, first, I didn't say a single workout. They will likely have several and they are already doing a deep dive into everybody they've played with and against and for to find out everything they can about them. And NOBODY thinks a single workout is as good as a lot of game data. In the NBA draft changes discussions about the NBA looking for a solution for the high school to NBA "issue" I said that the NBA would prefer to require every kid to play 4 years in college just because they could minimize the mistakes in the draft. The draft is always a guess based on limited data ... this year is looking more questionable than some years past because there is even less data ... that doesn't mean that the talent isn't there, it's just harder to see.

  4. #139
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,760
    I guarantee the Warriors take Wiseman with their pick

  5. #140
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    21,033
    Quote Originally Posted by Tg11 View Post
    I guarantee the Warriors take Wiseman with their pick
    LOl the lottery hasnt even happened yet. You dont know where the warriors will pick. What if they get the 3rd pick and wiseman is taken 1st?

    Also- the warriors taking a guy with the first overall pick doesnt make him the best player in the draft or even the best player for them. Id like to reference Joe Barry Caroll and Joe Smith for evidence of that.
    Last edited by likemystylez; 02-26-2020 at 01:56 PM.

  6. #141
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,760
    But then again knowing the NBA they will rig the draft lottery and make sure the Warriors end up with the #1 pick

  7. #142
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    21,033
    Quote Originally Posted by Tg11 View Post
    But then again knowing the NBA they will rig the draft lottery and make sure the Warriors end up with the #1 pick
    LOL which again doesnt do anything to assure us of them taking the best player available....

  8. #143
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    21,033
    The more I read about players in this draft.... the more I think Anthony Edwards is the guy to pick with the first pick. That being said Im not as comfortable with him as id like to be..... but he is easily the player id feel most safe taking.

    Then theres a conflict because hes the one guy I am not hearing any posters talk about for the warriors to draft. LOl I am hearing people mention guys who are projected with the 8th and 9th pick to be taken top 2 (like okongwu or avdija)
    Last edited by likemystylez; 02-26-2020 at 10:42 PM.

  9. #144
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,760
    But you don't need to take Edwards especially when you have Wiggins playing the 3 position already...what sense does that make to draft Edwards? Edwards also can play the 2 and you already have Klay at the 2 so again makes no sense to draft him...you obviously draft a big man...you draft someone at the 5 position because that is where you guys are lacking honestly

  10. #145
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    32,592
    Quote Originally Posted by Tg11 View Post
    But you don't need to take Edwards especially when you have Wiggins playing the 3 position already...what sense does that make to draft Edwards? Edwards also can play the 2 and you already have Klay at the 2 so again makes no sense to draft him...you obviously draft a big man...you draft someone at the 5 position because that is where you guys are lacking honestly
    That may mean, if they get the #1 pick, that they look to trade down.

  11. #146
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    32,592
    Quote Originally Posted by likemystylez View Post
    The more I read about players in this draft.... the more I think Anthony Edwards is the guy to pick with the first pick. That being said Im not as comfortable with him as id like to be..... but he is easily the player id feel most safe taking.

    Then theres a conflict because hes the one guy I am not hearing any posters talk about for the warriors to draft. LOl I am hearing people mention guys who are projected with the 8th and 9th pick to be taken top 2 (like okongwu or avdija)
    It's a lot more common for good offensive players in college to be good offensive players in the NBA, than it is for limited offensive players in college to be good at it in the NBA. That is a big part of Edwards appeal. He's also got the NBA body they look for. He may be a little lazy and put up good numbers while losing ... he may also be Dwyane Wade. 18.6 years old.

    I haven't heard Okongwu projected to the Warriors, but if so, it's because of fit, and he's another one where there is a future potential projection going on. 19 years old.

    LaMelo it's about his vision, ball handling, and passing more than anything else. He's tall and still growing. Funky shooting form, not the most explosive athlete, bad defensive reputation. Family. 18.5 years old.

    Toppin is about fit, and a more mature game as a 22 year old sophmore. He was more consistent this year and showed leadership and an all around game. His age might make the Warriors like him, while it makes me want to stay away. 22 years old.

    Wiseman is a pure projection based on talent shown in limited time, and size. He has a legit chance to be the best player in this draft, he could also be a disappointment. 19 years old.

    Avdija is a fit for Kerr. Good all around skills, very good BBIQ, and has shown up well on both ends playing against pros this year. Just turned 19.

    Haliburton is a very good all-around PG but not special at anything. 20 years old.

    Okoro is a super athletic wing who is a good slasher, is aggressive on both ends, is a good passer, high BBIQ, and is the best defender in the draft. Not great shooting form. 19 years old.

    There are also a few smaller PGs I'm skipping because I don't think the Warriors even consider them.

    The projection on all of these guys is finding the one who can become special because none have shown it yet.

    Also, Stylez, keep in mind that Michael Jordan wasn't Michael Jordan until the combine and tryouts, in college he looked good, but not incredible.

    I can see some appeal in all of these guys, I'm just going to wait for the Warriors to make their pick.

  12. #147
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    21,033
    Quote Originally Posted by Tg11 View Post
    But you don't need to take Edwards especially when you have Wiggins playing the 3 position already...what sense does that make to draft Edwards? Edwards also can play the 2 and you already have Klay at the 2 so again makes no sense to draft him...you obviously draft a big man...you draft someone at the 5 position because that is where you guys are lacking honestly




    See I dont believe that. I dont think it is "obvious" you draft for need. I believe you draft the player that you believe is the best player available (even if he duplicates position). Again- with this high of a pick.... you can not take a Kanter or an Anthony bennett.


    If I were Portland in 1983- i would take jordan even if it duplicated position of drexler.

  13. #148
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    21,033
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    That may mean, if they get the #1 pick, that they look to trade down.
    agreed- if they can get the guy they want in this draft.... AND get a lotto pick in next years draft, that could be the way to go.

  14. #149
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,760
    But who fits best in the Warriors system

  15. #150
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    California, US
    Posts
    11,170
    Trade down, take Avidja and get another lotto pick next year

Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •