Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    Thats if you have a very shallow definition of superstar. I only care about how he handles the team and the court. The media can suck my dick
    Then he's a star player and that's fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    Nope. It's essentially impossible to be a superstar and not be a top 10 player, but you have to be big with media and the casual public to go to that top level.
    I can't tell if you're being sarcastic..

You're telling me you don't think Kawhi Leonard is a superstar bro ?

Superstar means they transcend their sport and are generally known. That's not Kawhi. He's just not enough of a personality to do that.
    I don't think that is what a super star is. I think it has a lot more to do with talent and the ability of being a corner stone franchise type player.

Your personality doesn't dictate your ability to carry a team..

For example Beal is a star player, DeRozan is a star player . But there's that next tier of star player and that's where you'd place guys like Giannis, Leonard, Lebron etc

4. 11-11-2019, 11:55 AM
    Reason
    Dodging the filter and generally unnecessary post - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by smith&wesson View Post
    I can't tell if you're being sarcastic..

You're telling me you don't think Kawhi Leonard is a superstar bro ?
    Yes. The basis of "superstar" is about stars that transcend their job.

This definition simplifies it but:

from Websters: a star (as in sports or the movies) who is considered extremely talented, has great public appeal, and can usually command a high salary

from Dictionary.com: a person, as a performer or athlete, who enjoys wide recognition, is esteemed for exceptional talent, and is eagerly sought after for his or her services.

LeBron, Michael Jordan, Kobe, Magic, Larry Bird, etc ... they were known by people who didn't watch basketball at all worldwide ... Kawhi is an unknown to fans of the team he's on. It wasn't until recently we ever heard him laugh.

It's not a knock on him as a player to say he's not a superstar, he's just missing part of the equation to transcend his sport to become a superstar.
    Last edited by Scoots; 11-11-2019 at 04:10 PM. Reason: poor word choice

I don't think that is what a super star is. I think it has a lot more to do with talent and the ability of being a corner stone franchise type player.

Your personality doesn't dictate your ability to carry a team..

For example Beal is a star player, DeRozan is a star player . But there's that next tier of star player and that's where you'd place guys like Giannis, Leonard, Lebron etc
    You probably can't be a superstar and be an average player, but it's not JUST about how well they play the game. If you pick a sport you don't follow and think of a player from that sport chances are they are a former or current great player in their sport, but they also probably have a big public image too.

Nope. It's essentially impossible to be a superstar and not be a top 10 player, but you have to be big with media and the casual public to go to that top level.
    He is big with the media and the casual public. I mean his name comes up every day in mainstream news and talk shows.
    “It’s about winning,” Stoudemire said. “You win, you’re going to get on national TV. Simple. In Phoenix, we won — Western Conference finals three, four years, playoffs every year. We won. If you don’t win, nobody really wants to see you.”

Quote Originally Posted by aman_13 View Post
    He is big with the media and the casual public. I mean his name comes up every day in mainstream news and talk shows.
    I was gonna say, I see random people saying "what it do baby"

Really? I've never heard him mentioned outside of sports coverage.

I wish we could look up his Q rating.

I wish we could look up his Q rating.
    His brand is pretty popular, and as Aman13 said his name is all over sports media seems like daily.

By the definition you provided above, how many current players would you consider superstars then?

Really? I've never heard him mentioned outside of sports coverage.
    That's a very narrowed and arbitrary defintion.

How many players in the NBA are ever mentioned outside of sports coverages?

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk
    “It’s about winning,” Stoudemire said. “You win, you’re going to get on national TV. Simple. In Phoenix, we won — Western Conference finals three, four years, playoffs every year. We won. If you don’t win, nobody really wants to see you.”

His brand is pretty popular, and as Aman13 said his name is all over sports media seems like daily.

By the definition you provided above, how many current players would you consider superstars then?
    Sports media isn't enough.

LeBron and Curry certainly. KD probably. Westbrook, Harden maybe. Giannis is on his way but his name and his accent is going to hold him back some. According to Forbes Klay Thompson has a better rating with the public than Kawhi. AD and PG are probably going to start climbing that list because they moved to LA, and Kawhi may climb it too but he's not going to if he keeps not showing more personality.

That's a very narrowed and arbitrary defintion.

How many players in the NBA are ever mentioned outside of sports coverages?

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk
    It's narrow because not a lot of people are superstars. And it's not arbitrary. It's literally in the definition.

There are a lot of models, but not many "super models" ... it's the same thing.

Sports media isn't enough.

LeBron and Curry certainly. KD probably. Westbrook, Harden maybe. Giannis is on his way but his name and his accent is going to hold him back some. According to Forbes Klay Thompson has a better rating with the public than Kawhi. AD and PG are probably going to start climbing that list because they moved to LA, and Kawhi may climb it too but he's not going to if he keeps not showing more personality.
    So super stardom is also contingent on your accent? Give me a break

Well I'd rather have Kawhi over any other player you listed. Whatever your definition of superstar may be you can't deny that talent alone puts both Giannis and Leonard at the top of the list.

It's narrow because not a lot of people are superstars. And it's not arbitrary. It's literally in the definition.

There are a lot of models, but not many "super models" ... it's the same thing.
    "Transcending the game" .. by that definition only Michael Jordan was truly a super star.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast