Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 248 of 692 FirstFirst ... 148198238246247248249250258298348 ... LastLast
Results 3,706 to 3,720 of 10367

2020 Draft Thread

Quote Originally Posted by smood999 View Post
    Here are John Hollinger's rankings. He was ESPN's analytics guy and then was recently the Vice President of Basketball Operations for the Grizzlies. He now writes for The Athletic. Obviously the draft likely won't play out this way, but it's nice to have a different view.

1. LaMelo Ball
    2. Anthony Edwards
    3. Killian Hayes
    4. Onyeka Okongwu
    5. Obi Toppin
    6. Tyrese Haliburton
    7. Devin Vassell
    8. James Wiseman
    9. Isaac Okoro
    10. Kira Lewis
    11. Aaron Nesmith
    12. Paul Reed
    13. Aleksej Pokusevski
    14. Patrick Williams
    15. Devon Dotson
    16. Deni Avdija
    17. Saddiq Bey
    18. Cole Anthony
    19. Theo Maledon
    20. Precious Achiuwa

https://theathletic.com/1808864/2020...ing-to-bet-on/
    My Top 6 looks virtually identical.

Iíd have Wiseman and Lewis over Vassell and Okoro though. Hereís what he said about Hayes, Toppin, and Tyrese:

3. Killian Hayes, PG/SG, Ulm

An unknown quantity for most American fans, Hayes is a French lefty who isnít a knock-down shooter (29.4 percent from 3) but has an extremely high skill level in terms of being able to execute complex moves like step-backs, side steps and pull-ups out of pick-and-rolls. Hayes has never shot well from the perimeter and has a funky push shot, but he has a history of shooting extremely well from the free-throw line (87.6 percent). One hopes that will translate to 3s as he gets older. Although heís big for a point guard, he can run pick-and-roll all day and make the right delivery more often than not.

Hayes is still very young ó like Ball and Edwards, he wonít turn 19 until this summer ó and had a good season in a decent league. Ulm played in the Eurocup, not the Euroleague, and the German League isnít quite as good as Spainís, but itís not bad.

Where Hayes falls short, and itís something I saw in person a year ago at Basketball Without Borders, is having the zip to just cook a player off the dribble from a standstill and then finish over length at the rim. He struggles to gain separation off the bounce, which is one reason he has to rely on herky-jerky start-stops, step-backs and other complex skills, and depends a lot on pull-ups rather than lay-ups. Even his close-in finishes are difficult, contested makes. Again, thatís German League athleticism, so you can see how some are concerned about what happens against far more athletic players over here.

Hayes is also extremely left-hand dominant, which is a concern of some scouts and not of some others. I tend to be in the latter camp ó John Stockton had a 20-year career as an all-time great NBA point guard and took maybe four dribbles with his left hand ó but I could see how overplays could become a problem for him.

Read several of those lines above and it sounds very reminiscent of DíAngelo Russell, but Hayes offers more on the defensive end. Although heís not a super athlete, Hayes has decent lateral quickness and great anticipation, and has posted high rates of steals and blocks in a competitive league (and without a cheating LaMelo style to get them).

Hayesís combination of age, skill level, and free-throw accuracy offer an upside despite his meh athleticism. Additionally, an on-ball guard who defends two positions solidly is one of the most valuable player archetypes to have. I have Ball and Edwards rated higher because of their home-run upside, but Hayes could easily have a better career than either of them. For me, heís the third-best value proposition on this board.
    5. Obi Toppin, PF, Dayton

Toppin profiles as the best offensive big in the draft, and while his defense is more of a question mark, I donít think the narrative about his defense is totally correct based on the tape I saw. Toppin isnít great laterally, which weíll get into a minute. But his length and leaping are huge advantages in switches. He blocked several guardsí jump shots in switch situations and showed a ďclosing speedĒ to catch up to drivers and reject them at the rim.

Where he really struggles is changing directions to recover once he gets dragged one way by a guard. That ďone-one-thousandĒ to stop and then recover to challenge a shot is all the time a pick-and-pop big needs to launch away. Flipped screens also can leave him wandering in no-manís land. But in a switching scheme, there are players in this draft Iím a lot more worried about than Toppin.

And can we talk about the offense? Toppin might be the most accomplished offensive weapon in this draft: a burgeoning pick-and-pop threat with a quick release who shot 39 percent from deep this year; a transition dunk machine due to his speed and leaping ability; and a low-post bucket getter who can abuse switches. Toppinís feel for passing out of double teams was also quite impressive.

There are negatives here relative to other lottery picks. Toppin is a late bloomer and is already 22 years old, so you have to discount his spectacular college stats a bit. He played in a weak conference, although his performance held up against power-5 foes like Kansas and Colorado. His rebounding rate is quite ordinary. Finally, heís likely a one-position player Ė too stiff laterally to check 3s, but not stout enough physically to battle 5s.
    6. Tyrese Haliburton, SG/PG, Iowa State

In a draft loaded with guards, Halliburton doesnít quite tantalize with the scoring ability of the top three players on this board, but he passes as well as anybody, has great size for the position, and is a knockdown shooter.

Haliburtonís assist totals could have been much more impressive; his tape is an infinite loop of sweet deliveries to teammates who flubbed easy chances. As a scoring threat in the halfcourt, however, he has work to do. Heís long and quick but doesnít have crazy burst and needs time and space to uncork his outside shot. At the basket, he shies away from contact with his thin frame and doesnít draw fouls.

Heís more spectacular in transition, where his speed and court vision can combine for some breathtaking sequences. Heís also a money shooter (42 percent from 3, 82 percent from the line) despite a low set shot that can be awkward to get into off the dribble.

As a defender, Haliburton can be slow changing directions laterally on the ball. He makes up for it by giving space and then using his superior length and leaping to close out; he surprised several shooters who thought they had open pull-ups. Off the ball, his phenomenal steal rate is a good omen (3.4 per 100 in Big 12 play Ė I tend to rely on conference games to weed out lopsided early-season schedules), and he was as good as anyone I saw at tagging a roller and then zipping back out to 3-point line. In transition defense, heís a shot-blocking threat too.

All the background on Haliburton is rock solid as well. He may never be a big scorer, but as a long-term plus at the guard position, he looks like one of the few close-to-sure things in this draft.
    I think Cole is closer to 18 than he is Top 5, IMO.

Iíd start considering him around 10, but Iíd rather have Lewis.

Deni is definitely a lottery pick. His shot is a big question mark, but heís still too talented to go that low.
    Last edited by YoungStuna; 05-22-2020 at 05:30 PM.

Cole is all the way at 18 wow

Quote Originally Posted by smood999 View Post
    He's not going to get drafted top 3, maybe not even top 5, which is why you see him mocked lower although people have him higher on their boards.

It's the same with Ball. Almost everyone has him 1 or 2, but Edwards and Wiseman are likely going to be the top two picks, which is why I think Ball can be had at 3 or even 4 depending on who picks ahead of that spot.
    Iíd be shocked if wiseman is top 3
    Spurs Sim league
    2 time Champion 653-331

Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    Yeah itís just a lazy comparison IMO. Thereís still Euro bias because we just arenít exposed to them like we are with American players.

And itís funny because Hayes was actually born as an American lol
    In my defense KP left a huge European scar on me.

Edit: I wouldn't be upset if Hayes is the pick. Just think Cole the NYer would fit this team better.
    Last edited by SK6; 05-22-2020 at 08:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by east fb knicks View Post
    Cole is all the way at 18 wow
    Let's steal him by trading up the Clippers pick

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett2010 View Post
    Let's steal him by trading up the Clippers pick
    I dont believe he'll stay at 18 his stock will rise once we get closer to the draft it's way to early right now

Prayers up for Patrick, childhood hero right there

Every yr I stumble on a guy who I haven't paid attention to yet and wind up super impressed. Onyeka Okongwu might be the best all around player in this draft. Offensive beast ..although he cant shoot..lol.. with excellent defense. He's a small ball C if i've ever seen one. This guy would THRIVE w/ GS next yr.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0di98acz3DU

Quote Originally Posted by Bivory View Post
    Every yr I stumble on a guy who I haven't paid attention to yet and wind up super impressed. Onyeka Okongwu might be the best all around player in this draft. Offensive beast ..although he cant shoot..lol.. with excellent defense. He's a small ball C if i've ever seen one. This guy would THRIVE w/ GS next yr.

Yeah Okongwu looks like an Adebayo clone, but with better shot-blocking. He just doesnít make sense for us unless we trade Mitch.

His shot does have some potential though. Heís a 72% FT shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartOfStarks View Post
    Prayers up for Patrick, childhood hero right there
    🙏 🙏 🙏

Quote Originally Posted by Bivory View Post

Heís in most top 5s. Donít think heís slept on...

Quote Originally Posted by east fb knicks View Post
    I dont believe he'll stay at 18 his stock will rise once we get closer to the draft it's way to early right now
    Yeah I was just kidding. No way Cole lasts to 18. No way Deni lasts to 16. The list is a joke.

Cole at 18 is a joke. His pedigree, motor, athleticism, rebounding and Iso scoring ability is lottery worthy in this draft.

The Post has learned unequivocally LaMelo Ball is currently the top-rated point guard on the Knicksí board.

That should hardly be surprising, knowing new president Leon Rose likes to shoot for the stars. Knicks officials believe the 6-foot-7 playmaker/driver has one of the higher upsides in the entire draft despite his lack of a 3-point shot.

Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    The Post has learned unequivocally LaMelo Ball is currently the top-rated point guard on the Knicksí board.

That should hardly be surprising, knowing new president Leon Rose likes to shoot for the stars. Knicks officials believe the 6-foot-7 playmaker/driver has one of the higher upsides in the entire draft despite his lack of a 3-point shot.
    Hey Russell Westbrook was top target of Knicks when he entered in draft so glad they got him too lmao.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk