Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 459 of 816 FirstFirst ... 359409449457458459460461469509559 ... LastLast
Results 6,871 to 6,885 of 12240

2020 Draft Thread

Quote Originally Posted by smood999 View Post
    I still think the most accurate comparison to how Obi may be in the NBA is John Collins.

In this draft, are you guys passing on Collins at picks 6-9 and with letís say the top two PGs off the board?
    Itís a solid comp. However I think that Obi has more raw talent and playmaking ability than Collins does. So we could be getting Collins-like player with more upside and intangibles (on offense obviously).

If we donít have plans to sign Wood (we should), Iím cool with Obi in that scenario.

I still think the most accurate comparison to how Obi may be in the NBA is John Collins.

In this draft, are you guys passing on Collins at picks 6-9 and with letís say the top two PGs off the board?
    I agree thatís the best comparison and the way you frame it makes it tough.

I think Collins gets a max or close to it. I also think Obi easily wins rookie of the year. But Iím skeptical that either will have great success in terms of wins and losses without the perfect supporting cast (think Obi at C in Golden State).

I just donít see it as winning basketball putting Obi at the 4 and Mitch at the 5. Iíd rather have a clear 3 and D guy like Vassell than Obi at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    Itís a solid comp. However I think that Obi has more raw talent and playmaking ability than Collins does. So we could be getting Collins-like player with more upside and intangibles (on offense obviously).

If we donít have plans to sign Wood (we should), Iím cool with Obi in that scenario.
    Collins is just a comp. Iíd argue Vassell or Nesmith are much more valuable than Obi in the same range. Honestly I think Poku will be a much better pro than Obi, Patrick Williams is potentially a better modern NBA big than Obi. Then you have guys like Hampton, and again Iím guessing Kira Lewis, Cole will be there at 7/8.

I just donít see the argument for him. I think within a year or two on a redraft Obiís a guy that goes around 20. It happens every year with top 10 guys who you later realize went way too high. Thatís my prediction personally but of course I could be proven wrong. Wonít be the first time.

2020 Draft Thread

Quote Originally Posted by HeartOfStarks View Post
    Collins is just a comp. Iíd argue Vassell or Nesmith are much more valuable than Obi in the same range. Honestly I think Poku will be a much better pro than Obi, Patrick Williams is potentially a better modern NBA big than Obi. Then you have guys like Hampton, and again Iím guessing Kira Lewis, Cole will be there at 7/8.

I just donít see the argument for him. I think within a year or two on a redraft Obiís a guy that goes around 20. It happens every year with top 10 guys who you later realize went way too high. Thatís my prediction personally but of course I could be proven wrong. Wonít be the first time.
    The argument for Obi is simply value. Heís clearly the most polished offensive talent in the draft with freakish vertical athleticism. Obi is a team player who sets good screens, moves without the ball, makes good passes, can space the floor, finish with authority, and provide solid rim protection at PF. I would love to see what Thibs could do with him defensively.

Been very vocal about not being a OBI fan. Think heís going to be ok but nothing crazy. If he ever got to John Collins that would be crazy to me. I think heíll be a 15 ppg guy eventually but so bad on defense. But whatever, I hope we jump for Lamelo
    Spurs Sim league
    2 time Champion 653-331

Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    The argument for Obi is simply value. Heís clearly the most polished offensive talent in the draft with freakish vertical athleticism. Obi is a team player who sets good screens, moves without the ball, makes good passes, can space the floor, finish with authority, and provide solid rim protection at PF. I would love to see what Thibs could do with him defensively.
    Thatís a generous description for a guy who shoots less than 2 threes a game as the oldest guy on the floor at the college level and canít stay in front of anyone on defense. He also blows defensive rotations all the time if you watch his full games.

What Thibs will probably do with him defensively is bench him.

2020 Draft Thread

Quote Originally Posted by HeartOfStarks View Post
    Thatís a generous description for a guy who shoots less than 2 threes a game as the oldest guy on the floor at the college level and canít stay in front of anyone on defense. He also blows defensive rotations all the time if you watch his full games.

What Thibs will probably do with him defensively is bench him.
    Obi attempted 3x more 3s as a sophomore than he did as a freshman. But again, why would Obi shoot more 3s when heís unstoppable in the paint? It doesnít make sense.

He canít help his age, but he dominated the competition regardless. He wonít need years of development to produce on offense.

Quote Originally Posted by TakeAnotherL View Post
    It's less about obi and more about the fact he doesnt offer us what we need, which is ball handling guards who can pull up.

How much longer can we really ignore this glaring need?

Unless were trading Mitch, I dont see where obi fits.
    Agreed, but what if that ball handler ends up like DSJ or doesnít prove to be anything more than a backup? Does someone like Toppin pose the sam level of risk?

Itís not as simple as draft the PG especially with the draft being as weak as it is. Just something to think about.

No one on this roster is doing a damn thing until we get ball handlers.

Kind of hard to develop any of these young guys when we dont have anyone running the offense, and spreading the court for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba313 View Post
    I agree thatís the best comparison and the way you frame it makes it tough.

I think Collins gets a max or close to it. I also think Obi easily wins rookie of the year. But Iím skeptical that either will have great success in terms of wins and losses without the perfect supporting cast (think Obi at C in Golden State).

I just donít see it as winning basketball putting Obi at the 4 and Mitch at the 5. Iíd rather have a clear 3 and D guy like Vassell than Obi at this point.
    Yeah thatís all. I think itís just worth more thought than some are willing to give.

Agreed, but what if that ball handler ends up like DSJ or doesnít prove to be anything more than a backup?

Itís not as simple as draft the PG especially with the draft being as weak as it is.
    Well we can stop drafting and trading for low iq, lazy, dumb players for one. If a player doesnt love basketball above all else, dont put them on your roster, it's pretty simple, and that ends you dsj problems.

And for 2, look at the past 5 drafts or so, and look at all the talent at the big man positions in those drafts, lots of busts, and almost none of those guys push the needle for their teams.

Bigs are mostly roleplayers in todays league.

Even the bigs that can shoot threes, and shoot them off the dribble, none of them can do it remotely close as good as the smaller guards can.

Look how clip lost tonight, and lakers lost last night, they simply couldnt keep up with the small ball run and gun 3 point shooting, despite having the best superstars in the nba. Or how about philly getting smoked by the Cs, big men cant hang with 3 pt game.
    Last edited by TakeAnotherL; 08-20-2020 at 12:36 AM.

^^^ lakers have 2.5 good players, surrounded by bad shooters. Dallas is actually a bigger team than the Clips.

Quote Originally Posted by TakeAnotherL View Post
    Well we can stop drafting and trading for low iq, lazy, dumb players for one. If a player doesnt love basketball above all else, dont put them on your roster, it's pretty simple, and that ends you dsj problems.

And for 2, look at the past 5 drafts or so, and look at all the talent at the big man positions in those drafts, lots of busts, and almost none of those guys push the needle for their teams.

Bigs are mostly roleplayers in todays league.

Even the bigs that can shoot threes, and shoot them off the dribble, none of them can do it remotely close as good as the smaller guards can.

Look how clip lost tonight, and lakers lost last night, they simply couldnt keep up with the small ball run and gun 3 point shooting, despite having the best superstars in the nba. Or how about philly getting smoked by the Cs, big men cant hang with 3 pt game.
    Youíre right. This is usually the stance I take as well.

Quote Originally Posted by S.L.ugger View Post
    ^^^ lakers have 2.5 good players, surrounded by bad shooters. Dallas is actually a bigger team than the Clips.
    Style of play. The Mavs bigs donít play like typical bigs.

Even if Obi is John Collins, there are enough worthy PG prospects to take a chance on outside of the top 2.

passing on John Collins won't kill us. we need a decent PG more than we need a scoring PF.

I think it's fair to say at the very least Cole & Maxey will be available, and i'm taking either of those over Obi easily.

the other part to the equation is, there's really no PG's in FAgency, but there are quite a few PF's. including Gallo who appears to have some interest, there seems to be some smoke there.