Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 367 of 818 FirstFirst ... 267317357365366367368369377417467 ... LastLast
Results 5,491 to 5,505 of 12257
    Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    Ben absolutely is an issue at point guard. He canít shoot outside the paint. In a half court set he completely destroys there ability to run anything to the point where he forces the best interior big in the league to have get his catches at the 3 point line. Al and Joel arenít a good fit but they are both reasonable shooters. Put those four on the floor with a point like Kyle Lowery or anyone that can shoot reasonably and organize in the half court and you donít have near the same amount of problems. Al was a terrible signing but the reason it is a total mess is bc the defense doesnít even have look at the guy with ball with Ben handling in the half court.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ben Simmons canít shoot. I get that. Maybe a PG like Lowry would work better with their roster construction.

The point is that when you have a talent like Simmons at PG, you build around him. You give him a roster that works. You donít move him and say well someone like Lowry would work better.

Look at Giannis and how much things opened up for him when they altered their roster to have four shooters on the court with him at all times. Heís not a PG and he would still be great, but that brought the best out of him. They didnít look around and say well Paul George would be better at SF. They adapted to his strengths. Philadelphia has failed to do that.

No, heís not an issue regardless of his inability to shoot. Despite his flaws, there arenít more than 5 PGs in the league better than him. The issue is not putting enough shooters around him. I disagree that Embiid and Horford are good enough shooters. Embiid still mostly operates in the paint and Horford doesnít qualify at a stretch 4. Those are three players that primarily operate in the same area of the court before even considering Tobias Harris.

Put Simmons on Phoenix with Booker, Oubre/Bridges, and Saric in between him and Ayton and itís a different story. Just look at the success Rubio has had there and he canít shoot either.

In short, optimize the roster around Simmons at PG. Philadelphia has failed miserably so far. When you draft a player like Simmons, you know what youíre getting. If you donít like it, donít take him. Even if he wasnít officially the PG like heís been, he would still be utilized mostly as the primary ball handler (see LeBron). Thatís always been his game. Theyíve successfully turned what was once an advantage with Saric, Covington, and Redick, into a disadvantage.
    Last edited by smood999; 07-18-2020 at 05:31 PM.

Joel is actually good enough to be the guy so you build around him. Ben will never be the best player on a championship team. He has been a liability in the post season and has shown 0 signs of improving on a massive hole in his game. He should be a defensive four the ignites his team in transition. The Warriors donít let the guy with no J ability or create in the half court be the primary ball handler outside of transition and neither should Philly

They were better before bringing in Harris and Horford. Are we just going to ignore that?

Have you seen how good Simmons is whenever Embiid is out? He plays at an almost MVP level without Embiid.

Thereís clear evidence that he would thrive on a different team or with different roster construction. Weíve seen it.
    Last edited by smood999; 07-18-2020 at 05:37 PM.

The Sixers have a lot of chemistry issues, starting with Ben Simmons' broken shot and how he plays like an MVP inside. Joel Embiid has actually hit more 3-pointers in one season than Ben Simmons has in a career. Bringing in Tobias "green light on D" Harris and Horford (on terrible contracts) and dismissing Christian Wood and Jerami Grant made them worse and in cap HELL.

Knicks would be best to steer clear of any of them. Embiid's legs have maybe 2 more seasons left on an elite level then he'll be in Amare territory.

Knicks go out there, offer Minnesota Timberwolves (who don't need a point guard) 2 future First rounders, 1 of the 2 unprotected and the #6 pick in the 2020 NBA Draft. That should get it done to have the rights to Lamelo Ball. Don't look at the cost. Look at the piece that will end the discussion.

Then I would see if a team would be willing to take Kevin Knox and the 25th pick to move back up and grab Cole Anthony.

Remember you only have 2 seasons before you have to pay Mitchell Robinson, Frank Ntilikina, Kevin Knox, and then only RJ Barrett is under contract.

And we know how the Knicks blow their cap space faster than a 12 year old with an allowance at the movie theater.
    Last edited by Dr. Detfink; 07-18-2020 at 06:02 PM.

Joel is actually good enough to be the guy so you build around him. Ben will never be the best player on a championship team. He has been a liability in the post season and has shown 0 signs of improving on a massive hole in his game. He should be a defensive four the ignites his team in transition. The Warriors donít let the guy with no J ability or create in the half court be the primary ball handler outside of transition and neither should Philly

I dunno man. Ben Simmons is great on both sides of the ball at everything but shooting. I think heís definitely good enough to be that dude..

You just build around him accordingly

Embiid is an equally rare talent. But I donít like his health, I donít like his sometimes inbetween game (do I play inside, or outside). And I definitely donít like the fact he isnít always dialed into the game

2020 Draft Thread

Quote Originally Posted by smood999 View Post
    They were better before bringing in Harris and Horford. Are we just going to ignore that?

Have you seen how good Simmons is whenever Embiid is out? He plays at an almost MVP level without Embiid.

Thereís clear evidence that he would thrive on a different team or with different roster construction. Weíve seen it.
    They had Harris, Butler, and Joel in the front court and still had to sit Ben when it mattered in the playoffs and let Jimmy be there primary ball handler and play maker. If he had improved at all I could see your case but he doesnít even seem to be trying.

Your case is based on the idea if you construct the prefect roaster around this guy he can be the man. Ok that maybe true as Is the fact that you need prefect construction bc of his weakness as a basketball player.

Joel and Al arenít a great fit. Guess what neither are Al and Arron Banyes but it wasnít near as big an issue when they shared the court. Not being able to hit a free throw or make any shot outside of 4 feet isnít one little thing for a pg.

Simmonís is the latest version of John Wall imo. He has the same massive hole in his game. Eventually people realized Lillard and the like weíre just better PGs. If Ben isnít moved to a less ball dominate spot I expect the same result

Last edited by ewing; 07-19-2020 at 01:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

They had Harris, Butler, and Joel in the front court and still had to sit Ben when it mattered in the playoffs and let Jimmy be there primary ball handler and play maker. If he had improved at all I could see your case but he doesnít even seem to be trying.

Your case is based on the idea if you construct the prefect roaster around this guy he can be the man. Ok thatís true as Is the fact that the need for prefect construction is a reflection of his weakness as a basketball player.

Joel and Al arenít a great fit. Guess what neither are Al and Arron Banyes but it wasnít near as big an issue when they played together in Boston. Not being able to hit a free throw or make any shot outside of 4 feet isnít one little thing for a pg.

Baynes barely played in Boston. Thereís no comparison. Most times he was the lone big. Horford has even complained about his role and like Simmons, has played a lot better without Embiid.

I agree thatís not a small thing, but Simmons isnít your typical 6í3Ē and under PG. It would be a bigger factor if he didnít hold advantages elsewhere. You make exceptions for talents like Simmons.

I was referring to the playoffs two years ago. Butler took the ball out of his hands and rightfully so, but he performed well when it was him, Embiid and floor spacers.

His shot hasnít improved but that doesnít mean the rest of his game has remained stagnant. Heís a different player in lineups more suited to his skill set.

I get what your saying about tailoring the roster to him, but thatís what organizations do when you draft a talent like Simmons number 1 overall. I also never said he was perfect. He was immediately super productive and continues to be as a PG especially for a player his age.
    Last edited by smood999; 07-18-2020 at 07:41 PM.

I get it when it comes to Simmons and I understand the importance of shooting, but Philadelphiaís front office had a layup buliding around Simmons and Embiid and they missed badly.

You do realize that they had both of them on rookie contracts and room for two maxes and they chose to spend it on Horford and Harris in addition to trading a bunch of assets, including Shamet, for Harris and Saric and Covington for Butler who left months later.

I get it when it comes to Simmons and I understand the importance of shooting, but Philadelphiaís front office had a layup buliding around Simmons and Embiid and they missed badly.

You do realize that they had both of them on rookie contracts and room for two maxes and they chose to spend it on Horford and Harris in addition to trading a bunch of assets, including Shamet, for Harris and Saric and Covington for Butler who left months later.
    Iím not defending Elton Brand

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Detfink View Post
    The Sixers have a lot of chemistry issues, starting with Ben Simmons' broken shot and how he plays like an MVP inside. Joel Embiid has actually hit more 3-pointers in one season than Ben Simmons has in a career. Bringing in Tobias "green light on D" Harris and Horford (on terrible contracts) and dismissing Christian Wood and Jerami Grant made them worse and in cap HELL.

3 firsts for LaMelo? Iíve seen it all
    Knicks would be best to steer clear of any of them. Embiid's legs have maybe 2 more seasons left on an elite level then he'll be in Amare territory.

Knicks go out there, offer Minnesota Timberwolves (who don't need a point guard) 2 future First rounders, 1 of the 2 unprotected and the #6 pick in the 2020 NBA Draft. That should get it done to have the rights to Lamelo Ball. Don't look at the cost. Look at the piece that will end the discussion.

Then I would see if a team would be willing to take Kevin Knox and the 25th pick to move back up and grab Cole Anthony.

Remember you only have 2 seasons before you have to pay Mitchell Robinson, Frank Ntilikina, Kevin Knox, and then only RJ Barrett is under contract.

And we know how the Knicks blow their cap space faster than a 12 year old with an allowance at the movie theater.
    3 firsts for LaMelo? Iíve seen it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Detfink View Post

Let's all take a deep breathe and just relax. The draft isn't until Octoiber and we do not know who our coach will be . I understand with no sports to watch other than golf and NASCAR it is something to do to pass the time away, at least sports wise,.

Is this the sixers forum now or still a draft thread?

Quote Originally Posted by PewPew View Post
    Is this the sixers forum now or still a draft thread?
    Haha! Right?

Here's the thing. Ever since this um, "unicorn" term started being thrown around teams are looking for that freak of nature which will give them a decisive advantage in the game.

While I find a lot of these "unicorns" to be very impressive, there are also blatant deficiencies to their game that opposing teams just haven't taken advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by SK6 View Post
    That's the key.
    LaMelo would make the entire roster look better.
    I don't doubt that and I like LaMelo... Again Lavar was so bad in the media he basically made Magic Johnson quit... Knicks don't need more circus bullcrap like that. If we draft him I wouldn't be mad but I think Deni is a mix of Simmons and Luka... Anybody saying Ben Simmons was drafted as a point guard doesn't know what their talking about. He was supposed to be the next LeBron James which he does actually play like except he can't shoot and LeBron became a good shooter.

Moving Ben Simmons to PF is the best move Philly could have made. They were inpatient with Fultz as he is becoming a good PG. No PF will be able to guard Simmons... Too quick and elusive off the dribble while he will still probably initiate the offense. Shake Milton is a very good shooter so that works. Bring Al Horford off the bench at center...simple.

Well itís kinda hard to build around 2 guys that canít shoot but yeah horford signing has been a mess. I like harris fit next to those two guys so Iíd live with the contract and at least they got jrich for butler who left. That killed them because butler would make philly scary as ****. If he was there instead of horford yeah theyíd probably be the favorite easily. I still think philly has a shot to get to the finals this year. Theyíre finally healthy and Embiid should be well rested and ready to go.
    Spurs Sim league
    2 time Champion 653-331

Quote Originally Posted by Knicks Boogie View Post
    I don't doubt that and I like LaMelo... Again Lavar was so bad in the media he basically made Magic Johnson quit... Knicks don't need more circus bullcrap like that. If we draft him I wouldn't be mad but I think Deni is a mix of Simmons and Luka... Anybody saying Ben Simmons was drafted as a point guard doesn't know what their talking about. He was supposed to be the next LeBron James which he does actually play like except he can't shoot and LeBron became a good shooter.

Moving Ben Simmons to PF is the best move Philly could have made. They were inpatient with Fultz as he is becoming a good PG. No PF will be able to guard Simmons... Too quick and elusive off the dribble while he will still probably initiate the offense. Shake Milton is a very good shooter so that works. Bring Al Horford off the bench at center...simple.
    Way to make things up. Magic Johnson quit because of LaVar?

During a lengthy appearance on ESPN's First Take on Monday morning, Magic Johnson explained why he stepped down from his position with the Los Angeles Lakers last month, and divulged some details regarding what went on behind closed doors that made him feel like he needed to part ways with an organization that he holds dear to his heart.

Johnson had a whole lot to say, but his comments made one thing crystal clear: he felt betrayed by Lakers general manager Rob Pelinka, who Johnson didn't know prior to his role with the Lakers.

"I didn't know Rob [Pelinka]," Johnson said. "... First year in it was tremendous... And then I start hearing, 'Magic, you are not working hard enough. Magic's not in the office.'

"People around the Lakers office were telling me Rob was saying things, Rob Pelinka, and I didn't like those things being said behind my back, that I wasn't in the office enough. So I started getting calls from my friends outside of basketball, saying those things now were said to them, outside of basketball now, just not in the Lakers office anymore. Now it's in the media and so on... If you are going to talk betrayal, it's only with Rob."

Pelinka responded to Johnson's comments at the introductory press conference for new Lakers head coach Frank Vogel on Monday afternoon, and called the remarks of his former colleague "saddening and disheartening."

"The two years of getting to work side-by-side with Earvin are some the greatest memories I have in sports and work," Pelinka said. "He's an unbelievable person to work with, he fills the room with joy and vision. And truly it's saddening and disheartening to think he believes things are a misperception."

Despite the way things ended between the two of them, Pelinka said that he remains in contact with Johnson.

"I have talked to him several times since he decided to step away, we've had many joyful conversations," Pelinka said. "In fact, two days ago we were reliving the (draft) combine and the fourth pick, talking about the great future this franchise has, so things are surprising to hear, and disheartening. But I look forward to the opportunity to talk with him and sit down and work through them."

Johnson's issues didn't stop with Pelinka, as his lack of power within the organization was also a major factor in his decision to walk away from the Lakers. He explained that being blocked from firing head coach Luke Walton was the last straw for him.

"The straw that broke the camel's back was I wanted to fire Luke Walton," Johnson said. "I showed [Jeanie Buss] the things he did well and the things he didn't do well. I said listen, we got to get a better coach. First day, well let's think about it. Second day, OK you can fire him. Then the next day, no, we should try to work it out.

"So we went back and forth like that, and then she brought [Lakers COO] Tim Harris into the meeting, some of the guys, and Tim wanted to keep him because he was friends with him. I said, when I looked up, I only really answer to Jeanie Buss. Now I got Tim involved. It's time for me to go. I got things happening that were being said behind my back. I don't have the power I thought I had to make decisions. And I told them, when it is not fun for me, when I think I don't have the decision-making power I thought I had, I got to step aside."

Johnson thinks that part of the problem during his tenure with the team was the fact that too many people had a say when it came to the basketball decision-making process.

"[Harris] is supposed to run Lakers business but he was trying to come over to our side," Johnson said. "Have everybody who has a role with the Lakers, stay in that role. OK, Tim Harris, you're the president of business, stay over there in business. Jesse and Joey [Buss], hey, you're the general manager assistant to Rob. Joey, you run the G League team. Then do that and do it well. Once you show you can drive excellence, now maybe you can move to another department. But right now, everybody has a voice."

You can see Johnson's comments in full below, via First Take:

Johnson put all his cards on the table, and in doing so he exposed a pretty high level of dysfunction within the Lakers organization, and while Johnson may be gone, many of the issues that he touched on continue to linger. The main question now facing the organization is how they can move forward and build themselves back into a perennial Western Conference contender.
    https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/m...b-pelinka/amp/

Also...

When No. 1 pick Ben Simmons makes his NBA debut for the Philadelphia 76ers, he will be playing point guard, according to coach Brett Brown. Simmons, who broke his right foot during training camp, is expected to return to the court in January.
    https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/b...e-returns/amp/

If you remember, LeBron James also played PG early in his career so your comparison isnít far off but stating that the Sixers didnít draft him with those intentions are false. LeBron has also been the Lakers starting PG this season.