Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 95 of 147 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697105145 ... LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,425 of 2199
    Lonzo Ball on LaVar's silence: 'He can't take me any further'

Lonzo Ball came into the national eye as a freshman at UCLA partly because of his ability and partly because of his outspoken father. At the time, LaVar Ball was an unfamiliar face in the sports media landscape which meant he drew a huge audience.

Fans quickly grew aware of LaVarís antics but not before becoming acutely aware of the Ball boys as well. Aside from a rare off-hand comment on the Lakers from time to time, though, LaVar has toned down his antics about Lonzo and the Lakers.

In a recent piece from Scott Cacciola of the New York Times, Lonzo talked about his fatherís relative silence regarding Lonzo and the Lakers.

ďI think heís just focused on my little brother. Iím doing what Iím supposed to do, and he canít really take me any further with basketball. I got to the league, and that was that. I accomplished what I wanted to do, and now the rest is on me.Ē

Ball hasnít quieted down in general as he still talks rather constantly about his youngest son LaMelo like he once did Lonzo. The difference is, at least partly, that LaVar is no longer the hot new thing on the block and the national media doesnít see him as the new media darling.

Lonzo also makes a good point in the debate as well. At this point, LaVarís campaigning does nothing but hurt Lonzoís image now that he is in the NBA. For LaMelo, though, keeping him in the spotlight and making sure colleges, teams and scouts remember him. Itís also why LaVar has not said a word about LiAngelo since he left UCLA and no longer has the NBA as a legitimate route.

LaVar simply wants his sons to end up in the best situation possible. In his mind, that means he needs to constantly talk them up and promote them. Whether itís the most effective method is up in the air, even if it worked for Lonzo in the long run.
    https://lonzowire.usatoday.com/2018/...s-news-rumors/

This was also at the start of Lonzo's 2nd season. Unless these are just made up stories and Lonzo is commenting for no reason, I'd say you're mistaken if you think it was a thing until LeBron showed up.

Quote Originally Posted by smood999 View Post
    Fit doesn't matter, but I think this is more of a short term issue regardless. I would bet on at least one of them, if not both, becoming at least an average three point shooter in the long run.
    when I said fit I meant NBA PG fit......Simmons seems to be the exception yet he also seems to need to coexist with more shooters even though they went out and maxed Tobias who was a top three 3 point shooter, then got Richardsons, but losing Reddick you can see how much Reddick meant to that team.

I mean a scoring PG is great but the guy with the ball, the guy with the heavy usage, love to see us get a really good Pick and roll player, I'd much rather with our team get a Curry, Lillard, type PG than a much shorter version of Simmons and not as good on defense or passing from where I sit.

And as far as this draft wouldn't it be our luck to not finish in the bottom three and this year get a top 2 pick which if reports are right, and #20 and down are equal, there is a huge cap differential from #1 to #20.........

Quote Originally Posted by still a fan View Post
    when I said fit I meant NBA PG fit......Simmons seems to be the exception yet he also seems to need to coexist with more shooters even though they went out and maxed Tobias who was a top three 3 point shooter, then got Richardsons, but losing Reddick you can see how much Reddick meant to that team.

I mean a scoring PG is great but the guy with the ball, the guy with the heavy usage, love to see us get a really good Pick and roll player, I'd much rather with our team get a Curry, Lillard, type PG than a much shorter version of Simmons and not as good on defense or passing from where I sit.

And as far as this draft wouldn't it be our luck to not finish in the bottom three and this year get a top 2 pick which if reports are right, and #20 and down are equal, there is a huge cap differential from #1 to #20.........
    I think there's a huge difference between Simmons and Ball when it comes to shooting. Simmons 2/23 in three seasons. Ball will make and attempt more than that in his first month.

I don't like the Simmons comparison. I'm thinking more along the lines of Rubio with more shooting/scoring upside.

Simmons isn't a threat if you leave him alone out there. Ball can at least get hot and hit several in a row.

There's more hope for Ball to become a decent-good shooter. There's almost no hope for Simmons.

To start, he will definitely be better off with shooters around him. When drafting him that high, I think the bet is that it will only be a short term problem.

Unfortunately, there are no Lillardís or Curryís to pick. Every PG in this draft has a question mark about his shot except Mannion, but the question with him is if heís even a potential starter.
    Last edited by smood999; 02-20-2020 at 06:41 PM.

4. 02-20-2020, 08:26 PM
    Reason
    Baiting

This is from an article at the start of Lonzo's second year, before LeBron:

https://clutchpoints.com/former-espn...magic-johnson/

If I'm not mistaken, those comments occurred during Lonzo's rookie year. He definitely wasn't in the media much after that.
    Dude you can literally find video, and audio interviews, and all kinds of crazy quotes from his bum daddy, after lonzos rookie year.

Dunno why your trying to continue to say he stayed out of the media after midway through lonzos first year, its simply not try.

Hes still trying to start a shoe brand with his scrub son, you think hes not going to try to get publicity for himself and his scrub sneaker company using new york media?

Quote Originally Posted by TakeAnotherL View Post
    Dude you can literally find video, and audio interviews, and all kinds of crazy quotes from his bum daddy, after lonzos rookie year.

Dunno why your trying to continue to say he stayed out of the media after midway through lonzos first year, its simply not try.

Hes still trying to start a shoe brand with his scrub son, you think hes not going to try to get publicity for himself and his scrub sneaker company using new york media?
    Thereís a difference between what he was when Lonzo was at UCLA or during his rookie season and hearing from him maybe once per year and in outlets like TMZ as opposed to sports writers covering it.

I honestly donít recall much of anything though besides him commenting when they signed LeBron and then again during the AD trade rumors and when Lonzo was ultimately traded.

I imagine you would have a hard time finding things outside of that also and I would be willing to bet that most of the things you are thinking of all happened during Lonzoís rookie year. His 15 minutes of fame has been up and he simply isnít that interesting to sports writers anymore.

Him trying to get publicity for BBB isnít relevant if LaMelo isnít apart of it.
    Last edited by smood999; 02-20-2020 at 08:50 PM.

LaVar is even banned from ESPN because of the comment he made to Molly Qerim Rose and they were the main ones providing him with a platform.

LaVar is even banned from ESPN because of the comment he made to Molly Qerim Rose and they were the main ones providing him with a platform.
    Yes he is banned, that wasnt even a year ago.

Further proving my point, he will never shut his mouth, and continued to run his mouth after balls rookie year, and NY offers a whole new venue of media outlets for him to run his stupid mouth, and do what he does to get attention to try to get his fans like Shawn2timer to buy his garbage sneakers.

Quote Originally Posted by TakeAnotherL View Post
    Yes he is banned, that wasnt even a year ago.

Further proving my point, he will never shut his mouth, and continued to run his mouth after balls rookie year, and NY offers a whole new venue of media outlets for him to run his stupid mouth, and do what he does to get attention to try to get his fans like Shawn2timer to buy his garbage sneakers.
    That was during the AD trade which I mentioned. It doesnít prove your point at all.

I honestly donít recall much of anything though besides him commenting when they signed LeBron and then again during the AD trade rumors and when Lonzo was ultimately traded.

I imagine you would have a hard time finding things outside of that also and I would be willing to bet that most of the things you are thinking of all happened during Lonzoís rookie year. His 15 minutes of fame has been up and he simply isnít that interesting to sports writers anymore.

Him trying to get publicity for BBB isnít relevant if LaMelo isnít apart of it.
    How many times do you think Berman and Bondy are going to interview him? He wasnít a local story, he was national news and the biggest national sports publications arenít allowing him on their platforms.
    Last edited by smood999; 02-20-2020 at 11:40 PM.

Silly argument anyway. Knicks arenít even guaranteed to get him. Weíll revisit if it happens. I just think that things like this are why he isnít going to go as high as he should, regardless of if itís true or not.

Thatís not necessarily a bad thing as it may or may not work out for the Knicks based on what I think about LaMelo and where they ultimately end up in the lottery.
    Last edited by smood999; 02-21-2020 at 12:05 AM.

I'm not worried one bit about Lavar. Maybe I'm being naiive, but I think his time has come and gone and outside of the occasional soundbite or quote I don't see him being given the platform to push narratives through the airwaves that he once was.

In terms of LaMelo's FIT, like smood said it doesn't look like there are any true sharp shooting PGs in this draft. You gotta take the PG with the highest ceiling and I think that is LaMelo. You will hope one of, if not both, he and RJ learn to shoot well enough. But you take him and run and do everything you can to add dead eye shooting around him, RJ, and Mitch. I think RJ will become a competent shooter. At close to 32% he's actually better than expected from 3pt this year given his rep, it was the 2s and FTs that were below expectations.

RJ is just a few months has dramatically raised his FT % which is a good sign for his 3pt shot.

but someone said he could be a Butler type and I agree. I dont think the 3 ball will be a huge part of his game but i think he'll be solid.

I would be thrilled if we could get Ball & Nesmith.

Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    RJ is just a few months has dramatically raised his FT % which is a good sign for his 3pt shot.

but someone said he could be a Butler type and I agree. I dont think the 3 ball will be a huge part of his game but i think he'll be solid.

I would be thrilled if we could get Ball & Nesmith.
    Nesmith is moving up the draft boards and doesn't look to be an option for the Knicks with their second pick. I think the Knicks would have to trade significant draft capital to move up to get him.

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett2010 View Post
    Nesmith is moving up the draft boards and doesn't look to be an option for the Knicks with their second pick. I think the Knicks would have to trade significant draft capital to move up to get him.
    Yea we'd probably have to move up 8-10 spots. but I think Knox, Clippers pick + CHA 2nd rounder could do it

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett2010 View Post
    It wouldn't be significant unless he moved into the top 10. It doesn't seem like teams view mid-late firsts and even early seconds that differently this year.

The Jazz moved up 11 spots to draft Donovan Mitchell in what was viewed as a strong draft and it only cost them Trey Lyles.

Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    Yea we'd probably have to move up 8-10 spots. but I think Knox, Clippers pick + CHA 2nd rounder could do it
    That's way too much for a pick outside of the lottery or at best late lottery. They should be able to move up for less if they wanted to.
    Last edited by smood999; 02-21-2020 at 10:04 AM.