Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 94 of 170 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596104144 ... LastLast
Results 1,396 to 1,410 of 2544
    Randle needs to be moved at the deadline next season. Hes someone we can squeeze a another pick for. Unless they can make it happen prior. He should be our Marcus Morris next season. Can't not get an asset for him.

Quote Originally Posted by KnicksFan4Years View Post
    KLove would fit next to Mitch. He would be someone who could stretch the floor on the starting unit.

Only downside is his age and injury history.
    Check out Christian Wood man. That should be our target this summer, not Love.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartOfStarks View Post
    Check out Christian Wood man. That should be our target this summer, not Love.
    He has the profile of a solid role player starting to come into.his own, but he is quite a bit short of Love.

Quote Originally Posted by still a fan View Post
    I think the tryouts will be huge, and it's no easy decision or decisive one right now so anyone who says no to a tryout, then I'd pass.

Now tryouts go differently as well, for example Knox kicked butt, but we still hold out hope, right?

Frank never tried out, and we tried out Mitchell and he excelled yet passed on him.

Once again it will also come down to the lottery and where we are, many of these posts have loads to do with top 5.......let's see where we land, that is far from a guaranteed conclusion.
    Workouts matter, but teams get in trouble more times than not by weighing that heavier than their prior on court performances.

Mitchell killed it, but Frank didn't even work out, so that was the issue there. It seemed like they had their mind set on Frank.

Knox wasn't that good at Kentucky, meanwhile Miles Bridges had two seasons better than Knox at MSU. They let a workout sway them in the wrong direction instead of just taking the better player. It's not surprising that one is progressing and the other isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by still a fan View Post
    yep, not sure how Ball fits to be honest. Knicks are very, very clear, a good shooting PG..kind of narrows it down now doesn't it?
    Fit doesn't matter, but I think this is more of a short term issue regardless. I would bet on at least one of them, if not both, becoming at least an average three point shooter in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Bivory View Post
    I thought the quote was "Knicks first option will be a scoring PG" rather than a shooting PG.
    Yeah, Ball could potentially be a big offensive threat although his three point shot isn't quite there yet. He's also streaky, so I'm sure he'll have games where he hits five plus 3's because he's hot. There is no threat of that currently on the Knicks.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn2timer View Post
    People get the depth of the draft wrong just about every year. If this is really a draft where picks 3-13 have a level of parity. Then we should go get the 13th pick.
    Given the popular opinion of the prospects of that pick, the asking price should be low. IMO
    Sam Vecenie, The Athletic:

Itís still early, but the 2020 NBA Draft cycle is starting to take some shape due to both the performance of some players, and the NBA Trade Deadline having come and gone.

However, one thing remains abundantly clear: few teams are excited about having picks at the top of the draft. In fact, Iíve talked to multiple scouting director-level or higher executives who would actually prefer their team not get a top-two pick. They donít think that pick is certain to bring a star, and that they think most other teams feel that way about those picks, and thus might not have as much trade value as a normal year. Indeed, this is not a great year to end up near the top.

And yet, there are at least some interesting depth options taking shape as longer-term upside plays for teams. Iím not convinced that a ton of players are going to be able to play immediately from this class, but there are some who will be picked later who at least have a chance to be difference-makers. Depending on how many kids decide to declare versus decide to stay in school, this could have at least some depth down to No. 40 or so come draft time.

Still, this draft is seen as weak within front offices as we head deeper into the process. Very few of the freshman have really stepped up in a substantial way, and the past couple of years, the early entry deadline sapped up some talent. Maybe some other players emerge, but as a current reflection of where front offices are, this one is about as close as youíre going to find as we start to head into the silly season of figuring out who can play under the bright lights, and who canít.

One final note: donít be surprised to see the pre-draft process with workouts, the combine, and individual meetings play an even larger role in this process than normal. Sixty kids have to get picked, and evaluators consider this class very, very close from about No. 20 on downward.
    https://theathletic.com/1603325/2020.../?redirected=1

Quote Originally Posted by Tg11 View Post
    LaMelo Ball said he's his own man...which should tell you he has been distancing himself from BBB and his father LaVar especially if any of you watch Ball in the Family...LaMelo is thriving being away from his family in Australia playing for the Hawks and he just won the NBL Rookie of the Year in Australia
    Lonzo has been in LaMelo's ear about this, which is something that I keep bringing up whenever posters bring up LaVar. He's not nearly as much of a factor. Also, notice that they re-launched Big Baller Brand yesterday and the only brother included was LiAngelo.

Here's an excerpt from an article in September:

Lonzo says itís easier because he controls things

Lonzo said things with his dad are easier now because he has taken control of his life. Heís in a new city, New Orleans, after spending most of his life in Los Angeles with the family nearby. After mutually splitting with his agent, he decided to sign with Creative Artists Agency in April.

"What makes it easier is I'm controlling everything now," he said on the podcast. "You really can't tell me what to do. It's my life, my career. I'm making all the decisions now. I chose to go to CAA. I think me becoming my own man is going to make it easier, honestly."

Heís encouraging his youngest brother, LaMelo, to do the same but do it early in his career.
    https://sports.yahoo.com/lavar-ball-...131814646.html

Lonzo and LaMelo are both represented by CAA now.
    Last edited by smood999; 02-20-2020 at 02:50 PM.

9. 02-20-2020, 02:58 PM
    Reason
    Baiting

Here's Sam Vecenie's (The Athletic) new mock. Order isn't important obviously, but you can read some of his thoughts on these players.

1. Cleveland Cavaliers
    Anthony Edwards | 6-5 guard | 18 years old, freshman | Georgia

The race for the No. 1 overall pick remains wide open, as no one has come and taken it. Edwards basically sits here by default, not through his own stellar play. The Georgia team heís playing on is currently 2-9 in conference play, and itís not like Edwards has covered himself in glory during that run. Heís been a reason they keep losing. While heís averaging 19.7 points, 5.5 rebounds and three assists overall this year, heís still only shooting 41 percent from the field and 31 percent from 3 in SEC play. Maybe you can make the case that his team is bad and thus heís taking bad shots, and Iíd agree with that to an extent. But there are also times where he floats and doesnít quite assert his athleticism enough in the way youíd love to see. Overall, this situation isnít ideal for a top pick

And yet, heís still just the guy who has the most upside. An absolute power athlete with all sorts of strength throughout his lower half and his hips, Edwards has great explosiveness and terrific body control. In the spaced out NBA, itís easy to see a world where heís just an absolute freight train off the tracks that is extraordinarily difficult to stop. Next to two skinnier guards in Collin Sexton and Darius Garland, you put Edwards on the wing next to them and thatís not a bad physical fit, even if they might rip the ball apart each trying to get touches. Still, the Cavs should simply still be going for the highest upside player remaining, and even with Georgia and Edwardsí play, I think thatís still him.

Itís also worth noting that the Cavaliers picked up Andre Drummond at the trade deadline, and thus potentially answered their center question. He has a $28 million player option that itís tough for me to see him turning down, and thus he should be there next year. That makes it an awful lot tougher for me to see the Cavs taking James Wiseman at No. 1, given that itís just inherently more valuable to go with a wing due to positional scarcity, and that itís not like Wiseman doesnít have questions of his own. The Cavs maybe took a center landing spot off the board early with their deadline deal.

2. Golden State Warriors
    James Wiseman | 7-1 center | 19 years old, freshman | Memphis (sort of)

Itís a great question as to how Golden Stateís moves at the trade deadline affect their potential draft decision-making.

As I wrote when Wiseman decided to leave Memphis for good, there was already some speculation league-wide that the Warriors will look to move this pick for a player who could help them sooner rather than later. I actually think that the DíAngelo Russell-for-Andrew Wiggins deal makes that more likely. To me, it seems like the team is gearing up to pool its assets together to try and grab another star to pair with this core as it enters the later portion of its career. They have a large trade exception to use from the Memphis Grizzlies-Andre Iguodala deal. They have this large Andrew Wiggins contract now. More than anything, I think the Russell-Wiggins deal opened up even more options for Golden State to explore as they look into how best to get back into the title mix once healthy. Sources around the league believe the Warriors will be active in exploring all options with this pick.

Iím going to keep Wiseman here for now because most executives league-wide see him as a likely top-five pick, and as one of the favorites to end up in the top-three. I do believe there to be a lower floor, though, on his draft prospects. First, heís a center, and both Cleveland and Atlanta may have filled their need at the position at the trade deadline with the Andre Drummond and Clint Capela moves. That, along with the fact that the Knicks have Mitchell Robinson and the Timberwolves have Karl-Anthony Towns makes his pathway to a high selection much more narrow, given that those are the five teams with the worst records. This is now going to be a much more interesting pre-draft process for Wiseman than anticipated, and as noted previously in these parts, the lottery is going to play the absolutely critical piece in where heís selected. Even those this remains the same pick as the previous mock, things are much more in flux than previously discussed.

3. New York Knicks
    LaMelo Ball | 6-6 guard | 18 years old | Illawarra Hawks

I mean, look, the jokes somewhat write themselves here. Ball is represented by CAA, which has long had an influence on the Knicks. Now, former CAA player agent Leon Rose looks likely to take over the teamís president of basketball operations role, so he should be very familiar with what Ball can bring to the table. And yet, nonetheless, this would be an unquestioned home run for the Knicks if Ball was to fall here. The team desperately needs a long-term point guard now that it seems clear the Dennis Smith Jr. situation isnít the answer. Ball would give them a terrifically high-upside option at the position. This is an easy call.

In regard to Ball, I recently wrote all about his recent sojourn in Australia, and about all of the questions you might have about it. Give that a read if you want a more in-depth breakdown on who he is as a player.

4. Atlanta Hawks
    Deni Avdija | 6-8 forward | 18 years old | Maccabi Tel-Aviv

Avdija has really come on of late for Maccabi Tel Aviv. scoring at least 11 in six of his most recent eight games, including two 20-plus-point outbursts. Heís almost certainly going to be the first international prospect taken, the question simply becomes ďWhere?Ē The Hawks could really use someone like Avdija as a forward scorer or creator to pair with either one of Cam Reddish or DeíAndre Hunter. Such is the nature of Avdijaís game if things really break right for him developmentally. And while the outbursts certainly have come against the weaker, Israeli League competition, Avdija has also begun really acquitting himself well in Euroleague play.

Part of the hope here in terms of translation is that the shot comes along. Given that nothing is broken mechanically, itís a reasonable bet. He also needs to keep developing his strength on the ball, but his feel for the game is off the charts and he knows how to make the right play at the right time. It also helps him and the Hawks that the team filled its center spot by adding Clint Capela for the Brooklyn 2020 first round pick they owned prior to the trade deadline. They filled a significant hole, should not be in the mix for someone like Wiseman or Onyeka Okongwu, and thus should simply just be going for the best wing or forward available.

5. Minnesota Timberwolves
    Tyrese Maxey | 6-3 guard | 18 years old, freshman | Kentucky

The Wolves obviously made a franchise-altering decision to trade for DíAngelo Russell and move Andrew Wiggins, changing the complexion of this entire team. It means the organization should now be looking at guys who can be long-term fits with the Karl-Anthony Towns/Russell pairing, and guys who can help them reach their optimum level. For me, that guy in the backcourt with Russell needs to be two things: he needs to be a bit of a creator and distributor, and he absolutely has to be a high-level defender. In fact, given Townsí and Russellís deficiencies on that end of the floor ó as well as Malik Beasleyís play on that end if they decide to keep him in restricted free agency Iím not sure Gersson Rosas can afford to bring in another poor defender.

The good news for Minnesota is that Maxey is on the board, and heís an absolutely terrific on-ball defender who can play in-between Russell and Jarrett Culver, allowing Culver to take tough wing matchups, and Maxey to handle tough guard ones. That would also allow Beasley to be the sixth-man, where they can hopefully tie him to the hip of Josh Okogie, another high-effort, high-energy wing defender. It also help that Maxey is a terrific offensive creator with a great floater package and the potential to shoot it. Even though heís only hit about 31 percent from 3 so far this season and has a low release, itís tough to buy into a guy with this much touch not becoming a good shooter at some point. To me, this would be the perfect mix of skills for Minnesota as it looks to turn things around.

6. Charlotte Hornets
    Cole Anthony | 6-3 guard | 19 years old, freshman | North Carolina

Anthony is back playing for North Carolina after missing about seven weeks following knee surgery. So far, in his return, itís been hit or miss. While heís averaging 19 points, seven rebounds and 3.5 assists, heís also only shooting 34 percent from the field and 31 percent from 3. The decision-making questions that he displayed early in the year havenít really gotten better, as it looks like he doesnít really trust his teammates when heís on the floor. Having said that, I broke down in a bit more detail recently prior to his return why Iím generally still a believer in Anthony, and why I think heís going to look much better with better teammates.

With Charlotte, you may ask ďWhy a point guard?Ē They do already have both Terry Rozier and Devonte Graham. Well, I think Graham can play off ball as well as on-ball, and, to be frank, I donít really think Rozierís presence should stop you from making a decision to take who the best, highest upside player on the board is when youíre Charlotte and not exactly a free agency hot bed. Anthony is that guy for me at this stage, and even though I still think itís reasonable to maintain some questions about him, itís tough to deny how talented he is given his productivity.

7. Detroit Pistons
    Killian Hayes | 6-5 guard | 18 years old, freshman | Ulm

More than anything, Detroit badly just needs a star they can start building around as they look to move into a new era after trading Andre Drummond. They need to take the guy they believe has the most star power long-term. Blake Griffin still has an awful lot of uncertainty going forward due to injury. Derrick Rose is only under contract through next season, and they really should consider moving him this offseason given that theyíre not going to be competing for the playoffs in all likelihood.

For me, Hayes is probably the guy that has the best chance to be a real move piece. He is a terrific ballhandler with elite feel for the game who has come into his own in his first professional season as a starter in Europe. His ability to make plays as a passer off of his live dribble is different and special, giving him the best chance outside of the guys already selected to be a starting point guard at this level. So far, heís averaging 11.2 points and 5.3 assists per game for Ulm in Germany. And most important, heís drastically improved as the season has gone on. Heís down to 3.2 turnovers per game on the full season after giving it away 47 times in his first 11 games. Heís also made strides as a shooter from distance, which is important because heís always had some potential given his impressive touch from the foul line. I had some pretty real questions about Hayes entering the year, but heís about answered them all and is in the mix to end up in the top-five of my board.

8. Chicago Bulls
    Isaac Okoro | 6-6 wing | 18 years old, freshman | Auburn

The Bulls just drastically need someone who can play on the wing and who can help them win games. Thatís Okoro. This dude is the ultimate winner. He makes all of the little plays across the court, including playing great defense both on ball and in a team construct. In fact, I legitimately think heís one of the best defenders across college hoops despite only being 18 years old. The fact that Auburn has won a lot of close games this year isnít an accident. They get timely scoring from some of their older guards, and Okoro helps them manufacture points through effort, athleticism, and an incredibly high feel for the game.

I really canít imagine someone better for the Bulls, who are seemingly in desperate need of a culture changer. For his part, Okoro is the ultimate team guy, but I do have some questions about his offense right now. He has incredible body control and driving ability, and is a smart passer. But heís also shooting under 30 percent from 3, and has some work to do on his jumper mechanically. Also, Iím not sure I see the upside of him right now as an on-ball threat creating for himself as opposed to playing off of someone else. Still, if Iím Chicago, Iím taking the best wing. Okoro is that.

9. Washington Wizards
    Onyeka Okongwu | 6-9 center | 18 years old, freshman | USC

Okongwu just keeps chugging along, dominating games for USC and pushing them toward the NCAA Tournament. At 6-foot-9, he might be slightly undersized for the center position. But heís super tough and has great timing as a rim protector and shot blocker. Heís averaging 16.4 points, 8.9 rebounds and three blocks and a steal per game. If youíre wondering how often that happens, itís not particularly regular. In fact, Okongwu is the only player in the last decade to post all of those benchmarks. That heís also doing it while shooting 63.4 percent and being a mobile defender on the perimeter in situations is even more impressive in regard to his potential translation. I think the comparison here is something like a Montrezl Harrell whoís a little bit bigger, and a bit better of a rim protector. His motor runs that hot.

For Washington, Thomas Bryant is a good center, but Iím not sure heís the long-term answer there. And with Bradley Beal in a precarious contract position, with John Wall looking to come back next season, itís highly likely the Wizards will be trying to make a playoff push. Okongwu fills a potential need, and I think heís going to be able to play pretty early even with how young he is. His approach is that of a vet in terms of his maturity.

10. Phoenix Suns
    Tyrese Haliburton | 6-5 guard | 19 years old, sophomore | Iowa State

I recently wrote a rather in-depth breakdown of Haliburton, so Iíll direct people there for a more substantial analysis of what makes him such an intriguing prospect. His draft range is considered somewhere between No. 5 and the end of the lottery.

Having said that, I love a potential fit with him on the perimeter next to Devin Booker. With Bookerís ability to create his own shot at the end of shot clocks and play out of ball-screens himself, Haliburton would be freed up to act as something of both a primary and a secondary ballhandler. Thatís the role that fits him best: a second-side option that hits open catch-and-shoot shots, and defends.

11. Sacramento Kings
    Obi Toppin | 6-9 forward/center | 21 years old, sophomore | Dayton

The Kings clearly want to fill their center position, given their decision to sign both Richaun Holmes and Dewayne Dedmon last offseason. And while Toppin might not be a true center, there is something of a similarity between him and Holmes as undersized guys who can play the role. And while Dedmon didnít work out and was ultimately shipped out at the deadline, the Kings have had a lot of success with Holmes and playing with an athletic rim-runner. Now, imagine that, except a guy who can also play within dribble hand-offs, drive to the basket, and pick-and-pop. Oh, and heíll throw down at least one highlight dunk per week.

Toppin is all of that. For my money, heís the guy I would vote for as National Player of the Year if the season ended today. His versatility and matchup nightmare-inducing game causes issues for everyone at this level, and he unlocks the five-out offense Dayton plays. It also helps that heís among the most productive players in the country, averaging 19.7 points, 7.9 rebounds, and 2.1 assists while shooting 63 percent from the field and over 35 percent from 3. Toppin has been awesome at basically every stage since the summer, and Iíd feel very confident selecting him in the lottery.
    https://theathletic.com/1603325/2020.../?redirected=1

Quote Originally Posted by TakeAnotherL View Post
    Lol at relauching bbb with just liangelo.

Lavar as delusional as some of the posters here.

As far as his dad being out of the picture, your all delusional if you think his son will get drafted in NY, and Lavar wont be all over the NY newspaper, tv, and radio stations on a daily basis.
    I don't mean in that way. There's a lot of noise in the NY media as is. Of course, I expect several interviews with LaVar to start off if the Knicks were to draft LaMelo.

I don't expect him to be the driving force behind LaMelo though and I do expect it to be quiet after the initial rush of media.

Quote Originally Posted by smood999 View Post
    I don't mean in that way. There's a lot of noise in the NY media as is. Of course, I expect several interviews with LaVar to start off if the Knicks were to draft LaMelo.

I don't expect him to be the driving force behind LaMelo though and I do expect it to be quiet after the initial rush of media.
    I heard the same thing when his son went to the lakers, and everything got every bit as bad as common sense told you it would.

His other son going to NY would be the same thing all over again

I heard the same thing when his son went to the lakers, and everything got every bit as bad as common sense told you it would.

His other son going to NY would be the same thing all over again
    After half way through Lonzoís rookie year, he wasnít heard from again until he was in trade rumors.

They put an end to it and that was that. As far as the trade rumors, I believe it was TMZ asking how he felt, it wasnít a sports journalist or people weíd normally follow.

The bigger point is still that he isnít as involved which is the main reason why we havenít heard from him in awhile, not even with LaMelo in Australia. When he was playing in Lithuania, LaVar was front and center.
    Last edited by smood999; 02-20-2020 at 05:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by smood999 View Post
    After half way through Lonzoís rookie year, he wasnít heard from again until he was in trade rumors.

They put an end to it and that was that. As far as the trade rumors, I believe it was TMZ asking how he felt, it wasnít a sports journalist or people weíd normally follow.
    He was def still talking it up after lonzos rookie year, he didnt shut up until bron got there, and told that bum your son gonna get traded if you dont shut up.

That scrub needs to be the center of attention, he dont care about anyone but himself, he wont stay out of the news for long if his son ends up in NY.

He was def still talking it up after lonzos rookie year, he didnt shut up until bron got there, and told that bum your son gonna get traded if you dont shut up.

That scrub needs to be the center of attention, he dont care about anyone but himself, he wont stay out of the news for long if his son ends up in NY.
    You got examples - What's so bad about him being in the news? He gets clicks.
    That bum is definitely richer than you

This is from an article at the start of Lonzo's second year, before LeBron:

LaVar Ball has been one of the most controversial and polarizing figures in sports over the last two years or so. However, lately, we havenít heard as much from Ball, and that might be because of Magic Johnson.

Former ESPN reporter John Goodman covered LaVar and his sons LiAngelo and LaMelo in Lithuania, which was when LaVar made harsh comments about Los Angeles Lakers head coach Luke Walton.

Afterward, LaVar cut off Goodman from his circle, and Goodman later apologized for even covering the Ball family to begin with. But hereís the catch: LaVar didnít have any issue with Goodmanís reporting until an angry phone call was made by Johnson to Big Baller Brand director Alan Foster.

Goodman detailed what happened on The Ringerís Shining Podcast:

I ran the story. Alan comes in, and Alan is his business guy. Like, he does everything for him. He comes in and he says ĎLaVar, what the hell are you doing? Why are you saying that stuff? Magic just called me and heís pissed off. Why would you do that?í And LaVar looked at him and (Alan) says ĎYou have to get the boys playing on the Lakers. Why would you do that?í

Goodman added that by criticizing Walton, LaVar destroyed any chance LiAngelo had of playing alongside his brother, Lonzo, in Los Angeles, and even though LaMelo is more talented, it severely damaged his chances, as well.

So, now, maybe we know the reason as to why LaVar has been so quiet recently.
    https://clutchpoints.com/former-espn...magic-johnson/

If I'm not mistaken, those comments occurred during Lonzo's rookie year. He definitely wasn't in the media much after that.
    Last edited by smood999; 02-20-2020 at 05:51 PM.